Your first mac...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Performfreak, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Performfreak macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    Cedar Falls/Des Moines, IA
    I just got inspired, and I just wanted to start a thread to see where all of you got started with the wonderful macintosh.

I remember back when I was about five years old the first moment I saw the mac OS. It was on an old macintosh 512K, and I was about four years old at the time (I'm 18 now). We ended up taking that computer home (I'm not sure why my parents really needed it, but fine with me). It was the second macintosh ever introduced (after the ram-lacking 128K). Sure it had no hard drive, but it played a killer game of tetris, lode runner, stuntcopter, solitare, golf, oh, and the list goes on...

Ahh, sweet memories,

The ROK
  2. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Good topic!
    I came later to the different company, before, I was a rebel... speak: Amiga User :D
    As no new Hardware was coming from the Amiga PPL (swallowed by Gateway, dang!) I switched 1999 to my iMac DV 400, and in March this year, well, read my sig.
  3. al256 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2001
    Well my first computer was a Performa 6200CD with 8mb of ram and a 1gig HD. I was 10 when I got it for a price of $2,500 dollars with a 15" monitor.
  4. Zenith macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    We bought our first Mac when I was 11, I think. It was a PowerPC 7100/80 with 32 MB RAM and two HDs; one internal 350 MB, and one external 1 GB. It was an awesome machine back then (1994) and costed about 3.000 $ here in Norway...
  5. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    My first Mac was a PowerBook G4 550. I have an iMac Rev.D (I think) 333Mhz at my office, and have a Mac SE there from the 80's. But MY ( bought with my own money) first Mac was the PowerBook.
  6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    My first Mac...

was a clone actually...

Motorola Starmax 3000/160
    • 160MHz 604
    • 32MB RAM
    • 2.5GB Hard Drive
    • 15" Sony Trinitron

By the time I was ready to order my first TiBook I had upgraded the processor with a Sonnet Crescendo G3 320MHz cache card, maxed the RAM at a whopping 160MB, replaced the 2.5GB with a 13GB hard drive, added an ixMicro 3D 8MB video card along with a 17" Sony (2 monitor setup).

Moving to that TiBook was like a night vs. day difference...he he he :D ;)
  7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    my first is my current Mac. Got it in October.

iBook 600
    640MB RAM
    30GB HD
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Attack of the Clones!

Mine was a PowerComputing PowerTowerPro -
    160MHz 604
    4 Gig Internal Drive
    4 Gig External Drive (SCSI)
    128 MegRam (expensive!!!)
    20" Sony Monitor

I don't remember what I spent on it at first - but its got a PowerMaxG3 (266MHz)
    and 256 MB Ram now.

I'm going to be giving it to my parents as their first computer soon so they can get on line. Hopefully that will take and they'll want to upgrade to an iMac or eMac.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002

233MHz iMac (Yep, the one that "saved Apple")
    Came with 64MB RAM, VM'ed it to 128MB
    Huge 4GB Hard Drive
    Enormous 13.8 viewable CRT screen

You name it, that seemed like the future of Apple during the time for me. Heck, I didn't (purposely) feel like I needed more disk space, until 2001. Now I have a Cube with 30GB of space, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going with this 21.6GB of extra space I have. :)
  10. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
    Although I've used Macs before in elemtary school, I got my first Mac at home in 5th grade.. the Performa 550. Sweet little machine... donated it a couple of years ago and it's still being used for word processing! Geesh, come to think of it, I wish i hadn't given it up. When I gave it up, it was running system 7.6 on 5mb of ram.. lol!

Anyway... yeah....
  11. al256 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2001
    LOL, I was in 5th grade too when I got my performa. The only reason why I got it was because of my school. My school had macs, so I bought a mac.
  12. kibit macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    1st mac

Mine was a Mac IIci given to me by my boss about 5 years ago. He couldn't bare to throw it away, so he offered it to me, I took it home to play with and have owned a mac ever since. Soon after I purchased a Bondi iMac. ...then a G4.....then a Tibook..:D
  13. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    A Performa 6400/200. Great little machine. I don't think I've ever been as excited as I was when it started up for the first time.

Worked for us for four years before it crashed. Really weird... it decided it couldn't find it's hard disk...

Anyway, the specs:
    A blazing PowerPC 603e 200Mhz
    2.4 gig hard disk
    16 megs of RAM
    System 7.5.3
    28K faxmodem
    Apple 15" Multiple Scan Display

Back in the days when modems were optional... :p
  14. Raiden macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    I can remember being 5 years old and every week we would goto the computer lab. I have no idea what kind of macs they were (11 years ago, at the time aged a year or 2, so about 13 year old macs). We would play crummy word games, grammer, and math games.

Only one I can remember was a great game where you were a dustball and you had to dodge the vacums as you go up floors. Each floor you had to answer the math problem. And there were a seeming a billion levels. My first video game addiction....:D

Then a few years later we would play on a program called hyperstudio, trying to animate the funniest joke. ahh the memories...

My first mac I ever owned was a iMac and the first computer I was forced to carry around was a iBook.
  15. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2002
    Maine, USA
    My first Mac . . .

was a Macintosh 512 enhanced. I loved that little luggable beast. I later sold it to get a Mac SE, then a IIci, then a 7100/80, then a Beige G3 Minitower, a Powerbook 1400 and another Beige G3 MT for my assistant.

I later sold the 2 Beige G3 and purchased a Quicksilver G4 and my iBook. Oh and I have an iMac for the home. Each one has a special place in my heart. I think the IIci had the best case design until the current side door access became available. The 7100 was a pain, though. Its RAM slots sit underneath the CD-ROM so to upgrade your RAM meant serious disassembly.
  16. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    first mac used...mac classic, good for word processing

first mac owned...performa 600, nice, but slow

first powerful mac...power tower pro 180 with ppc 604e processor
  17. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    First one....

G3 266Mhz, 192Mb, 4Gb....... Desktop version.......
    I replaced that with the TiBook that I still own.....

Next mac purchases.... 1Ghz TiBook, and a next generation desktop as soon as it is released..... :)

I've been using macs since the early 90's though.... before that (late 80's very early 90's) I had an Atari 65 XE, Atari 1040STFM and an Atari TT.......... :D
  18. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    My first Mac?
    Well I would actually have to have a first before answering this thread.
  19. groovebuster macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd rock from the sun...
    The first Mac I worked with was an SE/30 (my brother's) in '87 I guess... of course I couldn't afford one myself back then as a high school student...

The first years I always worked on someone else's Macs, since I only had the money to buy a PC in '89 (80286, 12MHz, 20MB HD, 2MB RAM)

Then (beginning of the 90's) I was working for Apple Germany in the Apple Promotion Team and always had a Mac for free usage. :D That was cool! Always the newest stuff and I even got money for playing around with it! :D

My first own Mac was a Performa 460 in '94 (with a 68882 co-processor, 20MB RAM, an external CD-Drive and an 80MB HD) ...

Does anybody remember the early days of the internet? That were times... connecting from home with 14.400 modem to the university and surfing for free, using MacTCP (it was pain in the ass to set it up correctly) and the early versions of Mosaic or Netscape... the nights in all those chat-rooms, since it was something totally cool and new??

I better stop being nostalgic! ;)

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Geez - I just spent 20 minutes of my life typing out my history with Apple on the Community Discussions thread. As a precis, though (if you can't be bothered to read my other post ;) ):

1986 - bought 512KE (still works beautifully)
    1991 - bought LCII 8/80 (as above...)
    1993 - bought Performa 5260 (as above... - see a pattern forming?)
    2001 - bought a G4 Cube (works better than anything I've ever used before)

I'll never turn to the dark side...

21. Zenith macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    My first Mac was an iMac too! Although my father bought a 7100/80 in 1994, it was mostly used by me... But I can't consider it as my Mac.. So MY first Mac was a bondi blue iMac too... God, I loved that egg-shaped alien-like computer. :D I had that Mac 'til I bought a Cube (yeah, me too :) ) last year. Now I own a QuickSilver, and I miss my silent cubic buddy... But I'm happy with the QS's speed, flexibility and power, so I'll have to deal with the friggin' noise...
  22. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    Re: Your first mac...

My dad got the first original Mac delivered in the UK. We've got wonderful hand-written letters from Apple and a whole collection of wonderful memorabilia from 1984/5.

I suppose that was my first Mac too, but personally it was an iMac DV that my dad bought me for myself.

The first Mac I bought myself, is the TiBook RevA 500 I'm writing this one.

Still loving it!:D
  23. Lz0 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2002
    First Mac I used was a Apple II or IIe (can't remember which). First I owned was a Quadra 450, then a PPC 7500/100, a few iMacs, B/W G3 and now a 933 G4.
  24. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Though I've used them for awhile, my first was the 800mhz flat-panel imac which I got several months before the released the 17", so I kinda wish I had waited :eek: but I happy I got mine when I did.
  25. Akira macrumors member

Sep 18, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I grew up with Macs... :)
    I'm 17 years old any my first own Mac was a brand-new Tangerine iMac 266MHz, bought it on my birthday :)

now I have a second-hand G4 350Mhz AGP, my little brother now uses my old iMac.
    But our old macs are now also my property ;)
    a SE/30 and a SE FDHD :)