Your first Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ipoddin, Jan 23, 2004.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Lets see... my first mac was an LC III. My second mac was an iMac and my third mac was a mac classic (the classic was an addition)

I have always wanted to get a IIfx and brag that I have a $10,000 mac.:p
  3. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    We had the very first mac. We have the first consumer model delivered in the UK, and a letter to prove it - handwritten from Cupertino.

Never looked back!
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

DUDE post a pic of that letter!!!
    My first mac was an Mac SE, but we were borrowing it for e-mail, until we got our own Perfroma 6300CD which lasted until my Freshman year of high school (6 years) now we have a snow iMac, getting close to 3 years old. Hopefully my next mac is a G5;)
  5. IIvan macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2003
    My old school system used Apple- from the Apple II to the B&W G3- than I moved- but I remember the excitment at getting the G3s. THey were so fast!

My first Mac was a Performa 637 CD, donated to me a few years ago, then I bought myself a G4, now hopefully looking for a laptop...
  6. studebakerhwk13 macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    In the beginning, the gods created the Apple Lisa, found that it was good, but not as good as that little box called a Macintosh. Twenty years ago, the paper where I worked had to make a decision between buying the brand new Macintosh or a Lisa. We went with the Lisa. Heck, it was only $10,000 and you could get a 5meg hard drive for another $5,000. Of course, you had to turn the hard drive on, walk away for a few minutes while it spun up to speed, and then turn on the computer. But how cool to start up from a hard drive instead of a floppy.
    Since then I have owned many, many different Mac models, and shake my head every time I run into something that reminds me how much those early machines cost. I can honestly say I have been with Mac since the very beginning, but, boy, do I love this PB 15" 1.25. And the fx ... shortest lived model I think there ever was.
  7. Toeknee macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    68020 to 7457

The first mac that I used was an LC with the screaming 10mb of RAM and 40mb of HD. Great little computer matter fact my dad wrote his thesis on it. The second one was a Performa 6400/180 which lasted for a while, until I got a lightly used 9600/200MP for free! Upgraded that a bit and then we got a Blueberry 350Mhz iMac (all the while my dad got a Dual USB iBook to work with used that for a bit) from the place I work at because it had been flaking out on us so I decided to fix it. (turned out it was bad RAM doing super now) Now I have a Al. 'Book 15" 1.25Ghz and so forth.... man I love this comp and i've loved all the Macs that ive had and used in these past years. I hope they go for another 20!! :D
  8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    My 15" 1.25 Aluminum Powerbook

No great history with macs here, but none the less its a great start to what I hope will be a lifetime of Apple computers :)
  9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
  10. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003

You can see the list in my signature. As you can tell, while I keep up on all the latest, there is usually quite a gap between new computers.

I've been more pleased with each new computer, I'm glad to say. The advances between them all have been worthwhile -- can't complain. Except for the fact that I don't have anyone to buy me the newest and latest stuff everytime it comes out....

Can someone help me with that?

edit: spelling
  11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    The one I'm typing on (in my sig). I'm a switcher!:D I couldn't be happier.

My grandfather had an Apple IIe when I was little, and in the seventh grade my school had an Apple IIc computer lab, which was state of the art!

Good times.;)
  12. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2003
    DC Metropolitan Area
    I've owned probably about 20+ Macs. The first one that was "mine" was an SE/30 with 8MB of RAM and an external 13" color monitor on an 8bit PDS card.

The 12" PB I'm typing this on, however, is the first Mac I've bought NEW.
  13. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    An SE

I bought my first Mac while in college: An SE. It was used and outdated, but after using Macs to layout my HS newspaper and my college paper, I NEEDED a Mac. Windows had just "borrowed" the GUI and I thought it was dreadful. I used a Windows PC in our Writing Center because our College would only budget 1000 bucks for it: I remember the PhD admin saying: "Well, it looks like a Mac, let's use it." Ah, but it was not a Mac, it was a piece of excrement. I ended up taking my SE into the writing center to get any work done. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MAC! DON'T FREAKIN' DIE OR ELSE...
  14. usersince86 macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    1st Mac

512Ke -

* 512K RAM (not upgradeable)
    * single 800K floppy drive
    * no hard drive (nor SCSI to connect one)
    * no number pad on the keyboard
    * single button mouse (some things are slow to change...)

I've had about a dozen Macs, and that's still the only one we bought new. (Planning to get a new one this summer or fall.) Currently have a PB Pismo.
  15. usersince86 macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Mac History...

Another good site to check out is:

Has history of all Macs, including clones, plus upgrade cards.

Good stuff!
  16. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2004
    Old Blighty
    I'm a switcher too, so my first Mac is a 17" iMac I got about a year ago. Since then my wife's got a 12" iBook, we've got a eMac for my son and I'm waiting for my 12" iBook to arrive. I'm trying to make up for lost time!

gotohamish - awesome! Love to see that posted sometime. Imagine being the first Mac user in the UK - ultra early adopter:D
  17. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    First Apple I had was a ][+. Then a MacPlus, Performa 400, original Bondi Blue iMac 233, an presently I have an 800MHz 17" flat panel iMac, and a two month old 1GHz 12" PB.
  18. ducati macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    Cool thread!

First Mac was a brand-spankin' new Mac SE. Booting from a Hard Drive was a revelation to me, as my prior two computers were an Apple IIe (original 64k) and Apple IIgs.

The SE was my main computer until I got a slightly used IIci for free. In heaven! I even used the IIci to do C++ development on in college... I'd write the code on the mac and then port it to the PC the morning before it was due. Hated Windows machines, they always crashed.

Unfortunately my next string of machines was a bunch of shall-remain-nameless-and-faceless Windows boxes. My wife brought us back into the fold with her iBook. I fell in love again...
  19. studebakerhwk13 macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    ducati ... you had the privilege of working with what I believe was the workhorse of the Mac line. The IIci had some of the most robust upgrade options available. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the IIci may have been one of the first upgradeable to a PowerMac chip. I remember those machines being used for years.
  20. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    my family had an LCII..we were late coming to Macs b/c we were happy with the Apple ][, and had good software for it. we had a nice ][GS before the Mac. For college I had a Color Classic..I guess that was my personal first Mac.
  21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    well i have told this before but im a little bored with nothing from apple today so here it is. i went into a Walmart years ago and noticed the pc's and 1 other product. it had speakers built into it which i thought was neat and it had the sharpest display of any at the store. Apple was using sony in the macs then and they looked nice. so i searched around and found some magazines about computers. after reading through the material i noticed what set apple appart other then the cool design was that they made the whole thing software and hardware. to me that had to be better then those Pc's. so i went back to that Walmart and took home this machine. been hooked ever since. Thats a performa 550 by the way it had a 160 mb drive, 8 mb of ram and a 68030 cpu running at 33mhz. man did i feel cool.:cool:

Attached Files:

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I was a little late joining the Mac brigade, my first mac was a 400MHz G4 (AGP) PowerMac.
  23. iPodmini-girl macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    upstate NY
    The powerbook I currently own. I'm a switcher and wish I had left the dark side years ago. I love my Ti powerbook, except for a little incident with a bad logic board. The 1GHz processor does everything I need it to and I just love all the little apps and untilities. iTunes is the coolest....even windows users had to have it.

Long Live Mac!

PS: I have used macs before this one, schools and colleges I attended had them and I used to go use the macs in the lab because they were always free bc ppl were afraid of them.
  24. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    First Apple I used was an Apple ][ (no + or anything). No shift keys or anything. 40 Column display all UPPERCASE. man. I was 9y/o, it was the 5th grade.

First Apple my (grand)parents bought for me was a ][e with 80 column card, duo disk, Apple mouse, and mouse paint, the works. I used that till I started high school.

Then we got a Mac512, 6 months later we got a 5gig HD that the Mac512 sat on top of, I want to call it the "Suitcase"? I forget. I just remember inviting every person I knew to save their floppies on my HD to fill it up. I remember having a lot of wav files of 2001, and making them my system sounds.

From there we had a big leap to a MacSE/30. And after that the clone wars happened. I moved to Windows, but now I'm back.