Your Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Games' started by ®îçhå®?, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hi guys,
    I do an imedia course at school and one of the units is game design. For this, i need an idea of what to do for a game. The only conditions that it has to adhere to is that it is 3D and is not got any sexual plot line like "you are a prostitute and have to get as many customers as possible".
    So, what i am getting at is, what is your dream game??
    Rich

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I like the replay value of puzzle games... they are simple, can be addictive, and easy to learn but difficult to master

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd try to pick something off-the-beaten-track that interests you. For example, when I was in school, long long ago, I wrote a game about managing a fish pond, mainly for my friend who wanted to build a big fish pond in his parents' backyard.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm making a 3D game at the moment but it's (oh dear, Shigsy moment) using quite revolutionary ideas but still being a very simple and concise game.

I always liked the idea of a rolling ball game, but similar to Mario Galaxy in that gravity can be shifted around. Action puzzler. How it would shift I don't know, just a little idea I've been pondering about for a while but would probably never finish such a game myself.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Something along the lines of the McDonalds game would be great; original, addictive and simple. I for one am not looking for a one-man bad version of a professionally made game, but something easy and quirky. Maybe the McDonalds game but with another industry, possibly CocaCola (or that may be too close to the original game). Good luck!

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Simulate something. It'll make it easier to plot a "story line" maybe you could simulate cooking? Or watching TV? Can it be a comedy games, that would be fun.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Funny you should say that! Me and my girlfriend tried to develop a pond "eco" simulator. Where the player took on a god role and just watched a pond live with fish and stuff. Was to double as a screensaver. Dropped it after we realised we had no working knowledge of the subject, and it needed to be as true to life as possible.

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Haven't I seen a similar fish pond simulator/screensaver type thing somewhere?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I passed on the open source to a dev community a while ago, they might have done something with it. Anyways, it wasn't me!

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yep. I played it years and years ago. You collected pearls that the fish pooed for money or something...?!

11. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Sorry, the one I had was different. It was a windowd "fish simulator" you basically threw fish in and marvelled at their splendour, there was no interaction.

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'd love to play a "Jones in the Fast Lane" kind of game again one of these days. Simple yet fun. It's like the ancestor of The Sims.

13. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

First Person Shooter :D

i really wanna make my own games... any suggestions? :D (sorry to sorta hijack the thread)

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

15. fall3n macrumors 6502

Looking for uniqueness or simplicity? If simple, make something like a desktop plant that'll sit on your desktop and you water it everyday and get it plant food and orniments and stuff to decorate it and the pot. It'd be kinda cool.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

a 3D version of something like Knytt would be awesome ;) and so easy to develop.

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Earth Day-

You cruise around with your middleschool friends, picking up trash along the side of the road. You want to get the most trash, so you make use of the broken bottles/tires/plastic bags you find to... pressure them... to collect less than you. It's fun, and promotes the ecologically sound mindset!

18. scotpole macrumors member

I want my Holo Deck

What I want out of a game is a Holo Deck. If I am playing a 1930's gangster game, I want to talk and interact with people and things not just kill everything in site.

The game Midnight Stranger had one of the quirkier interfaces, yet your interaction with people had a sense of emotions. If you said one thing they reacted one way and say something else and who knows you might get Lucky.

Grand Theft Auto III seemed to have better interaction with characters than the other GTA's. Hell at one point I was helping old ladies across the street and the next thing I knew the whole neighborhood was helping old ladies across the street.

Oblivion almost seems to have interaction. You walk into a bar and to an extent you can interact with the bartender and other customers or you walk into a guild and you have to ask questions to upgrade your character.
    But unlike Midnight Stranger, the characters in Oblivion are sometimes more vacant than a peroxide blonde.

What would be interesting in a game would be some sort of attitude or emotion generator for the people around you where they would become more than moving scenery. Also some form of conversation that to some extent mimics how people conversationly react would be very interesting.

You should also be able to survive in the game world. As I get old, I can no longer move the cursor as fast as I could in Missle Command. I probably am not as fast as young gamers, but I enjoy games. In one of the Call to Duty games that after the first five minutes where I kept getting killed over and over and over again, I got so pissed at the game I snapped the disk, the ultimate critique. It was a great feeling when that DVD snapped and the jagged pieces went flying all over the room. Then I vowed to never buy games that make me walk in tunnel mode.

Finally what I want is a compelling story line. Again the GTA series approaches this and usually after a couple of tries you can get through a mission. What is annoying, especially on game machines, is that you have to repeat the same assignement over and over again and you can not save during the mission. This is highly annoying.

Hey I want to win, get the girl and retire to the Carribean and sip My Tais. In that game that I slapped money down to rent or buy, I am the hero, which is something I may not be in life.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah. My game was text-based, so it didn't exactly pack too many thrills...

(it was the 80's and I only knew BASIC.)