Your iPod remote..how do you wear it...?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iAlan, Sep 6, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Do you clip your iPod remote on your shirt/tie/jacket/bag strap/etc backwards so everyone can see the little Apple logo?

Also, when you see someone with earphones with a white cord, do you try to check if they are using an iPod?

Lastly...when you are using your iPod on the go, do you smile or give a little nod of recognitition to someone else you see with an iPod? (and do they respond)

My answers...'yes', 'yes' and 'yes(yes)' :D

I could make a post out of this, but 3 questions would makes it a little confusing...:p

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

not many other mp3 players come iwth white earbuds...i assume its an iPod if i see the correct earbuds...i have white sony earbuds that kinda look like the apple ones for my ipod. At my campus i've seen alot of ipods around and convinced one of the my friends to get one then goes to circuti city and they are out of stock so hes waiting and i'm like wtf

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Honestly I don't use the remote too often. I don't know what to do with 18 feet of cord. When I do use the remote I usually keep it someplace convenient but inconspicuous because it's usually somewhere I shouldn't be listening to an iPod (meetings, lectures, etc).

When I see white ear buds I always look for an iPod--and I usually find one.

I haven't actually received too many "smiles and nods" when I walk around with my iPod. I do, however, regularly get stopped and asked "is that an iPod", or "hey, cool, an iPod", or "5 gig or 10?" to which I reply "15, they updated them", to which they reply "15, no way!" to which I reply "they have them as big as 30". You get the idea.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I use sony over-the-ear headphones. These have single wire from the left hand side (the other wire gets passed through the neck band). I let that fall down the left side and clip the remote to the wire. I then run the rest of the headphone wire back up and round my neck. This the leaves the 3.5mm jack dangling down the right side which I plug into the remote.

So it kind of dangles down and swings around and the masses of cable are dealt with.

5. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I keep the remote either in my hand, or in my pocket. i find that the cheap clip does hold very well when you are on the go. i also find that the long coard is an inconvience.

When people see my iPod they general talk to me about, and decide that they should purchase one.
    When evr i take public transit, i do get alot of admeration. it is also funny when you see the guy across from you with his crappy old casette player, and he constantly would look at my iPod then look at his cassette player with slight embaressment

aethier

6. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I have a 30 gig and I think the remote clip design is horrible, it falls off all the time and there is way too much extra cord when you use it. I almost never see anyone using an Ipod in my area, probably because a lot of people cant afford them. I got my 30 gig for less than 200 bucks from a friend so I guess i'm lucky:D

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i hate the remote. only time i use it is when im mowin the lawn. then i clip it to my pants so its easy to access then i can change songs. this is more the reason apple should put bluetooth on the ipods. wireless remote as well as controlling them in cars. the new 2004 acrua tl comes with bluetooth so you can use your phone in your car, i can only imagine how cool it would be controlling the ipod through bluetooth through a car.

iJon

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't use the remote, but I'm considering using it in the car. That way I can stick the iPod in the glove box with the remote sticking out instead of leaving the iPod on the seat next to me.

Ah, the responsibility of finally having a car with a working stereo... :D

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I wear an old denim jacket a lot, the front pockets are perfect for the iPod, I coil the remote cable behind the iPod and clip the remote to the pocket flap, upside down, so I can see the controls, then I plug the earphones in, works a treat.

There are a lot of iPod-users on the Tube, you quite often get a little nod of recognition, but rarely a conversation, as we're all listeniing to music:D

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Oh yeah, I forgot about that--in the car I'll always use the remote. That's a case where a lot of cord is a good thing. I have the Belkin FM transmitter (kinda sucks but there isn't much alternative at the moment) and plug that into the remote. I have a small compartment under my radio (if you've ever used a kit to put a normal radio in a Ford double din openning you know what I'm talking about) where I have the transmitter velcroed--so the iPod remote ends up where all my other controls are anyway. It's a little bit of a cobble job but it's not bad.

11. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I've got mine setup for the car with a Sony cassette tape adapter (don't have an itrip yet) and an old cell phone hardmount that I've covered the top of with velcro, and placed small velcro self adhesive squares on the back of my ipod. then it's just a matter of touching the pod to the mount, and plugging in the adapter. I've got the mount angled toward me, and is directly at the end of my fingertips with my hand on the gearshift. Works perfectly.

I knew I was a packrat for some reason.

here's some pics: clickme

oh, and to stay on topic - I honestly don't use the remote too much - I find it makes me feel like I've got 10 times as much cord as I need.

12. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I put my iPod in a bag in my backpack, then stick the remote in and coil the cord out through a little hole in the back, wind it up to the top through the various frills in the backpack, until the earbuds peek through the handle on the top and I can just slip them on whenever I am putting on my pack to walk to class. The remote ends up firmly pulled up against the hole where the cord comes out of the backpack, so to change songs or activate any of the other features, I simply snake my hand around and tap a control on my back. Very cool and convenient, and the ensuing cord is long enough that I can stick the earbuds in my pants pocket when I'm finished, when I don't want to listen, or when I don't want to be too conspicuous.
    I, too, have gotten the "is that an iPod??" and the "is that a Powerbook??" questions. I love the attention, and somehow having a backpack complete with iPod, and sheaf for Powerbook (it's the Spire XL) just makes me smile.

:)

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I put the remote in my hand for 0.1 seconds and the damn thing was full of finger prints. The clip is too small, too. Despite that, I clip mine to my shoulder bag strap and it's not too bad, unless I turn too fast then it'll pop off. I got my wires hooked on the subway turnstyles once a long time ago, so now I'm paranoid about long cables.

I get looks from people with crappy tape players, too. I used to rock my iBook on the subway, so I got looks from a lot of people (dirty looks from Toyota employees who all get IBMs.) :)

14. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I know what you mean, i dont even bother trying to clean my iPod remote anymore, it is a lost caus, i even think that the chrome or whatever they put is wearing down, because it doesnt look too shiny or silver anymore

aethier

15. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

i clip mine to the side of my undershirt and the headphones come out of the collar... don't reallylike to attract too much unnecessary attention. :)