Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I was wondering.. i just switched to a mac, and i lvoe it, but i get all the time people saying so whats so good about a mac.. what is your responce to this?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jer446 said:
I was wondering.. i just switched to a mac, and i lvoe it, but i get all the time people saying so whats so good about a mac.. what is your responce to this?

If people ask me why I use one, I tell them (cute, wanted to play with Unix, cute, matched my iPod, cute) but I don't proselytize.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
all i say is because i dont want the hassle of maintaining windows, ususally quiets them down too..... but i dont preach to people...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The complete package. Hardware and software designed by the same company = GOOD.

And in a word, I would say performance. I always find it amusing when people resort to quoting system performance statistics when trying to justify why a PC machine is better than a Mac machine. Quote all the hardware specs you like, for me performance is measured by the OS, the ease of use, the stability, the software, how productive I can be, and how much fun I can have using my machine - these are the factors that make me rank one machine superior to another - hardware is only one small piece. But that's just me. :cool:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
i tell them that all of my files from the last 20 years are in mac formats of one sort or another and that I have several thousand dollars invested in mac software........that usually is enough for them to understand

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
I tell them that you can just press COMMAND-CONTROL-D while the curser is hovering over a word and it'll define it for you. Which is great when mkrishnan is online. ;)

Well, there are a lot of religious crazies in the US, so it's a useful word. :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mkrishnan said:
Well, there are a lot of religious crazies in the US, so it's a useful word. :rolleyes:

I'm impressed. Most words that I don't know, I've usually seen somewhere before, but proselytize is completely new. Thankyou. :)

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Just explain to them the stability of the OS X platform and the quality construction of the Apple hardware.

As a sidenote, the blue screen of death is pretty much a lame excuse to use anymore. The majority of XP machines I've used in the past 4 years haven't had a BSOD once. If you're talking 95/98/Me/ then of course, but it's pretty rare with XP.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Overall quality and experience. If they have any questions I'll answer them, but I don't try and push Apple on most people. I would like more of my friends to have Apples though, cause there are a lot of things that you can do with other people who have Apples as well.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
The hardware looks cool.
The o/s is pretty.
It does just what I want it to do without any undue fuss.
There are no spyware/virus issues to have to deal with.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
mad jew said:
I'm impressed. Most words that I don't know, I've usually seen somewhere before, but proselytize is completely new. Thankyou. :)
I didn't know what it was either... But oh! Just control-command-d and bingo! There it was...

Now, you can't do that on a PC... :p

bit.shiftr

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Salisbury, North Carolina
It's Natural

It seems to work closer to the way that is natural for me to work. I've still got a high-end PC, but I find myself naturally drawn to the Mac Systems. The more I use it the more natural it seems. Stability is a big part. I get more work or play done because I'm not spending so much time trying to keep the computer working. When I got my first Mac a year ago I didn't realize there would such a difference or that I would experience this natural draw. It's an interesting journey. I just got my PM less then a month ago.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
after switching in january, i would have to say the best part of this experience has been - NO virus/spyware problems.

the hardware is beautiful.
the OS is well done.

it doesn't say micro$oft when i turn my computer on anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.