Your Most Disappointing Games of 2006

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 4, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As opposed to the other thread, what are your biggest dissapointments gaming wise for 2006

For me

Red Steel - I wasnt expecting much, but I was surprised how average the game truly was, and graphically it bears NO resemblance to those early magaizine screenshots. It's a hazy, blury textured, bland insipid and possibly the jaggiest game of 2006.

GOW - fantastical beautiful graphics and intense action, but just another frag fest - that I grew tired of after a couple of hours

Zelda Wii - just havent enjoyed the 20 hours or so I'm in - feels like hardwork rather than enjoyment.

Just Cause - a pure example of where the demo which was short was better than the game, why ? Well the full game is the demo repeated 5 million times with nothing extra or additional. Just plain rubbish.

New Super Mario Bros - very little new in a good but not good enough Mario platformer.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Condemned (XB360) - I dunno, I spent a ton of time going around some abandoned building, not knowing what to do next...

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I might have to agree with Zelda: Twilight Princess. At least a little bit. I'm also 25 hours in, and so far it just seems like OOT all over again with some extra bits and pieces here and there. Luckily, I hear the game REALLY picks up after the 3rd dungeon, so i'm looking forward to that.

I can't agree with Red Steel though. The game is a heck of a lot of fun. More fun than i've had with FPS's in the past 3-4 years actually, including games like Halo, HL2, and Quake4. It doesn't really do much different from the barrage of other shooters out there, but the Wii mote makes it feel fresh and exciting.

As for its graphics - have you even played the game past the first level? The graphics looks great, and some of the later ones are absolutely beautiful. Sure its no GoW, but the level design is awesome. The only problem i've had with Red Steel in terms of graphics would be its inconsistent framerate.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Zelda (Wii) - This is a game I was expecting a lot more from, oh well maybe the next version wont just be a GC game with tacked on controls.

/me puts on flame retardant suit

5. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

GOW was GREAT. Yes, it was a fragfest, but story was fun, the script was HILARIOUS macho stuff, that blended in nicely with the chainsawing and head-exploding. It was a ton of fun.

Most disappointing game for me would have to be F.E.A.R. - I kept reading that I would be scared ******** by that, and instead I got basically 1 minute of good stuff for 30 minutes of boring generic industrial environments, and enemies that all looked the same.

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Wow there are some games that I find to be great on that list. Red Steel was a disappointment but after playing it I can see the potential for the FPS genre on the Wii. If someone will get the freaking controls right FPS games could be gold on the Wii. I'm sure Nintendo will have to show everyone how to do it with Metroid... Also, the controls on NFS Carbon were pretty disappointing, especially after playing Excite Truck.

The biggest disapointment for me was probably Civilization IV for the Mac. It bugged out on me at the end (probably because I only have 1 gig of ram and had about a billion units on the board). Also, it didn't feel like that big of an upgrade from Civ III.

Overall, the Wii games have been enjoyable for me and I love Zelda: TP and Excite Truck was really fun too. I beat the Goron Mines yesterday and they were very satisfying. The game is pretty easy overall so I wouldn't say that it is work although I do occationally get stuck and have to sit back and think a bit...Haha...The first time I had to shoot down one of those bridges in the mines with an arrow I was dumbstruck. I climbed to the top and was trying to slice it with my sword and then tried to jump up and down on it with my boots. Finally, a lightbulb came on!:D

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep i'm as far as the factory with the conveyor belts and still not enjoying it. :eek:

To All....

Lads instead of criticing others decisions as that would inevitably take the thread OffTopic, answer the question what are your most dissapointing games ? ;) :) Doesnt matter if someone else loves the game, its what really just didnt do it for you personally.

8. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Superman & F.E.A.R.

I didn't buy them, but I hated the demos. ;)

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

The only real game that I was disappointed in after I bought it was Lost Magic for the DS. I read reviews online and it seemed like a good enough game that took advantage of the DS technology. But when I started playing it, it just didn't do it for me. But hey, it was only $30 so I'm okay. ;)

I'm kind of torn as to whether or not include Zelda: TP on here. Admittedly I haven't played it for probably a month now because I got to a point where for the life of me I can't seem to get past, and I got frustrated. But that's not really the game's fault, that's my fault. ;) The main reason why I haven't gone back to play it is probably because I've just been too busy to be able to sit down for a few hours and play it like I did when I first got the Wii.

As far as the story and gameplay I'm okay with it, I never played OoT or MM so this seems very new and fresh to me. I think the controls are pretty good considering it's basically just a port. ;)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yoshis Island DS. Just not as fun as the original
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Same again.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

But would you still recommend Yoshi, I'm still in 2 minds as to buy it or not. I wouldnt like Castlevania anyway as you know ;) :D

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yoshis Island 2 isn't for me, might be for you though. I think I just compared it too much to YI1. I've said in a previous thread but the music is really crappy in this new one and really takes away from the charm of the original.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks Jimmi. I've seen it on sale in the Jan Sales for €25 so I'll probably get it at the weekend anyway ;) :) Got the 42 Handheld Classic game thing for €15

14. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I'd have to say the Burger King game that I got with my meal was the most disappointing game I played. Though I guess I can't complain to much seeing it was only $3.:p

(On note with the Zelda stuff above. I got the GameCube version for Christmas and have enjoyed a lot.)

15. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

wow you listed a lot of blockbusters, i'd say scarface didn't make as big an impact as i thought it would

16. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I can't agree with any of you with the negative comments about Zelda: Twilight Princess. This game is simply phenomenal...a true return to form for the series. And visually, it is one of the most robust and beautifully illustrated games ever.

17. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

ummmm Zelda is the best game ever; To all you haters: PASS THAT ****

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

* In your opinion

For me it was a massive let down; I kept comparing it Oblivion and it doesn't come close. Not that I hate Zelda I quite like it but the topic is most disappointing games of 2006. Zelda is kind of like Red Steel for me, it doesn't come close to living up to the hype. If the topic was worst game of 2006 I would have picked something else.

19. steelfist macrumors 6502a

red steel

bad acting, bad gameplay, and bad graphics (even for a wii).

20. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

GOW was a huge let down. I'm sorry but I need a game where I can jump... none of this action "A" crap....
    I was so so so so so so so disappointed in it... oh well I'll just stick to halo and play nothing else... maybe bioshock will be good.

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

NFS: Carbon (Wii) - but yes, I was warned, and went against my better judgement. Luckily, I returned it to Sams (they gave me CASH), and got Excite Truck, which controls much better and is about 100 times more fun.

22. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Hm, Oblivion (was that 06?) was probably the only game that I ever bought that bored me to death that I really gave a chance. Probably the only game I ever regret buying.

Gears of War and Zelda are both amazing games, though, too much hype, methinks?

And I like Red Steel, though I seem to be a minority...

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Man, you Z:TP players are slow! It took my 35 hours to beat, and I was happy by that amount of game time, considering Wind Waker took me 15 hours. It was easy for a Zelda game (as in it took only a moment for me to figure out puzzles and advances in the plot and never needing a fairy in a boss fight), but it had a whole lot of game and was enjoyable.

Gears of War was definitely the disappointment of the year. It probably will be one of the games I pick up as soon as I get an X-Box 360 (hoping for redesign and nice price drop), but didn't push gameplay further in anyway. Good job for a third person shooter, I guess.

Red Steel absolutely sucked for the controls. I just don't understand how it could've been considered to be playable enough to release. Elebits and Call of Duty 3 are probably the two current examples of shooters done right on the Wii.

The other disappointment for me was Rayman Raving Rabbids. So much press about how the mini games were fun and all. It gets lame after like two or three arenas. Same tasks over and over again.

24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Metroid prime hunters.

It was a big reason for my getting a DS only to find a rather disappointing single player mode. Luckily the wifi is fun to pick up every now and then.

25. v-ault macrumors regular

how can gow be so disappointing? It was the best game of 06 in my opinion. The cover system is perfect, there is no need to jump. The only thing i hate about gow is it's too short. I didn't want the game to end.