Your music selections...

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlphaTech, Jul 3, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just wondering what the rest of the beings here listen to for music in different situations. I am listing a few, but feel free to add others if you feel so moved.

Situations:
    Driving to work
    Driving home from work
    Heading to the folks place (parents or in-laws, specify) :eek:
    Relaxing after a long day
    Just hanging around
    Doing an indoor activity (specify ;))
    Being 'creative' (specify media)

For me, to work: Disturbed or a Metallica cd; from work, System of a Down, Poe, Metallica. Going to family event or for a visit: varies with the event, but typically something with a good beat (Poe, Disturbed, Metallica, System of a Down...). Relaxing: Poe, Garbage and Enya. Just hanging, depends on the weather/mood, either metal, alternative, or a random selection. Being creative: depends on the media, painting (depending on the subject) is either Poe or Enya at present (I use oils on stretched canvas even though I am color blind).

Next victim, I mean volunteer.. :D

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lifting wieghts, beating the bag, cruising: rage against the machine, system of a down, sevendust, crystal method, stavesacre etc. etc.

creative work (print design work, painting..whatever else): radiohead, aphex twin, jazz fusion etc. etc.

relaxing: smooth jazz, enya,

whatever whenever: radiohead, u2

3. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

relaxing...Jazz, the more atonal, the better.
    Making sweet whoopee, Barry White.

Anythng else... HIPHOP, but nothin you'd hear on the radio
    (check out Acey Alone and Freestyle Fellowship, along with other west coast underground, as well as Roots manuva [for all you UK heads] if you really want to know.:) )

4. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

All ups to radiohead as well, damn fine people:D

5. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Well I just got "downsized", but when I had a job I used to listen to The Rolling Stones, The Who, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Outkast, Weezer, Black Sabbath, Guns & Roses, Rage Against The Machine

To the folks: Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, Pavement, Guided By Voices, Liz Phair, Mogwai, Elvis Costello

Relaxing: Lou Reed, VU, U2, Moby, Radiohead, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Stereolab, Van Morrison, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Radiohead, Steely Dan

Hanging out: The Stones, The Who, The Beatles, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Jeff Buckley, R.E.M., U2, The Band, Steely Dan, Pete Yorn, Moby, David Bowie, Radiohead

Indoors working on the web page: All of the above, just depends on the mood, plus on whether it's maintenance or new design

Outdoors at the lake: Radiohead, The Stones, Dylan, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, The Dead, The Band, The Beatles, Tom Petty, The Traveling Wilburys, Steely Dan

That's about it for me. I could go on and list the entire contents of my iTunes library, but I'll save you all the headache. Who's next? :)

6. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Classic!
    <uch love for the Stones and The Who, (my girlfriend works for a adio Staon here in town, and the word is the who toru on witout Entwisle (god rest his soul) starting Monday. Liz Phair is a goddess.

As for the DAN, god love ya, are you an audiophile too?

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I like almost everything except for country ( some of it is ok )
    Eminem, snoop, dre, nelly, chilli peppers, grinspoon (killer aussie band), system of a down......I listen to all of them alot

8. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Country is cool befre around 1994, then it started to go downhill. Anyone who can listen to some old Hank, or Willie, or Emmy Lou, or the Band, (or the Stones on Begars Banquet,) and say that old country sucks, is foolin themselves.

(PS. check out Flying Buritto Brothers or anything with Grahm Parsons name on it if you diagree.)

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Right on man! What about The Stones on Sticky Fingers. I mean come on, Dead Flowers is a honky tonk CLASSIC!!!

Country, real country, is just as important and beautiful as well done hip-hop. It's the story of another American minority, the poor white family. More specifically, it evolved from the music that sharecroppers wrote and performed. Hence the percieved "someone shot my dog" aura of it all. In reality, it's some of the most honest music ever written.

I can understand someone hating the tripe that gets play on CMT, but everyone should try Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and even some Merle Haggard. You might be shocked by what you hear. :)

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

W- it seems across the board that we relate.
    on that hand though, we are from fairly similar places. I'd like to hear some other ideas on this topic. For instance, my friends from NJ seem to love the Who.

I think every one should love their music.

PS. I went to grade school with Emmy Lou's daughter, and I feel privilagrd to know her and think of her as a friend. Benifits of Nashvegas, I guess.:D

11. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

For me it's

Classic bands I'll always listen to:

Feeder, Kyuss, N.I.N, Eels, 3 Colours Red, At the Drive-In, Faith No More (and all of Mike Patton's associated work, like Tomahawk), Queens of the Stone Age, the Wildhearts.

Current favourites:

Dustball, Hundred Reasons.

Music to work to:

Roni Size

12. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Mike Oldfield's daughter is at this university. She is an unbelievably attractive young woman. Tried to find a picture of her from the 'Oxford Uncovered' Calendar in which she appeared in 2000 and 2001 but I couldn't find it online

13. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey... i thought you drove a motorcycle, alpha.. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

14. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

What are you trying to say, biatch??? :p

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

My normal life (not on vacation :D) on the computer would include listening to Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, Trust Company, some Static-X, one song from Eminem, or maybe a few others. I usually listen to some of the much more extreme songs that not even some profane parents can handle. [Actually, I got my mother hooked on Eminem! :eek:]

For softer musics I listen to Box Car Racer, Incubus, SOAD, Puddle Of Mudd, or Moby. If I really want to listen to soft music I choose BS or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

When I am not bull!!!!'n off the computer I usually have these songs rockin. When nobody is home in the same house as me I pump up the volume on the more modern rock songs!

When I am trying to sleep on vacation I pump up my iPod with a variety of songs. :cool:

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you know Incubus's second album

S. C. I. E. N. C. E.

was actually pretty hard for them. It was thier hard album. That was before they got really popular....with the Make Yourself album. Before science they were basically very funky...like the peppers etc. Good stuff all round .. i like all thier albums. They have found thier style and nice.

(editors note: hoobustank is thier cousin band.... on the science album on one jazz song...one of the members of hoobustank is playing the trumpet for them.)

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Incubus isn't too bad...I like the songs from the Morning View CD. In fact all the Incubus songs I hear on FM from those guys are Driven, Nice To Know You (It's quite catchy in the beginning w/surround sound), IWYWH, and Warning. I'm starting to catch on to Warning.

Hoobustank isn't too bad. I like CITD and Running Away from their CD.

PS: I have a few others I forgot to mention. I want to get the CD for Adema.

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you should check out the albums of incubus before they became popular. sounds like your listening only to thier mainstream stuff... which is good none the less... but isnt the WHOLE of them. they are a great band ...very versitile. they can be a jazz band also..which they expressed in the science album.

apex theory ...sounds intresting... i need to get thier cd.

19. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

My musical tastes can be found at:

http://brooklineuk.com/gw/musicsound.html

Mostly I wake up to jazz/blues

Late night its Hard Rock

While traveling its Sinatra/Classical or people like Eric Clapton.

When browsing MacRumors MUSE!

Ensign

20. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Can't believe I missed

Muse and Incubus off my list.

Morning View and Origin of Symmetry are undoubtedly the best albums of last year! I can't believe I forgot them. Have been listening to Incubus in particular a lot recently. They have some very Faith No More moments, and they're willing to play with hardcore-ish time signature variation, which always scores points with me.

BUY THE NEW HUNDRED REASONS ALBUM!!!!!!!

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Can't believe I missed

well said. ...ever heard the s.c.i.e.n.c.e. album?
    thats where thier hardcorish time signatures take front stage...so to speak. faith no more is awsome by the way.

22. OKComputer macrumors 6502

Current Favourite: Saves The Day. There is only so much that can be done with power chords. Saves The Day relies on the raw emo power of its lyrics

Whilst Im working and creating: Radiohead, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Emiliana Torrini, Gorillaz

Riding in my car: Moe., Dave Matthews, Jimmy Eat World, Starsailor

Relaxing: Ellis Marsellis, Faithless, Enya, Dido ( any and all jazz)

Rocking out: Coheed and Cambria, Hot Rod Circuit, Ash, Bis.

www.punchkids.com :)

23. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Never heard SCIENCE, but I may buy it soon. I was very impressed by how polished Morning View was - it made a very good album rather than just a collection of songs, something often neglected these days.

OKComputer, are you in Punchline? I've never heard of them before

24. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Way to work: IMF "you're unbeliveable"
    At work: Men Without Hats "Pop Goes The world"
    Exersacing: Boby Brow "It's My Prorogative"
    At the riot: Pet Shop Boys "Go West"
    At the hospital: Queen "We are the champions"
    At sex: Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence"
    Working with the computer: Falco "Rock Me Amadeus"
    Joging: Vangelis "Friends of Mister Cairo"
    Taking a shower: "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" theme
    Parting: "Friends" theme
    Sleeping: Falco "Rock Me Amadeus" again

Even anything of these is true (may be the Depeche Mode), that is the ammount of B.S. that I can't avoid having in my mind old day. :D

25. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Wow, mymemory.

I'm surprised how camp your musical taste is for such a butch guy!

Just kidding;)