Your natural intelligence

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 16, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

How many of you think you are auto-didacts? In other words, how well can you observe and learn for yourself without verbal or classroom instruction? Can you figure things out on your own very well?

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that I have common sense. According to your definition, I don't have natural intelligence. I was always better able to learn a subject in class. Able to learn more by doing, having practical experience. I like to learn from others. A lot of learning in the medical field is observing, but verbal information is usually given.

3. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm not sure how well fit that defenition of natural intelligence is...only because I have that type of natural intelligence in very specific fields. For instance, I can determine with a fair amount of accuracy in a completely casual and unforced two minute real life interaction with another person if the person smokes or does drugs, and that person doesn't have to say word about either or to aid in my determination. Some of that material is taught at my college, in PSY 366.

I think I can learn things in specific areas of psychology without classroom aid faster than with classroom aid, but I only took 2 months of basic psychology. But in nearly everything else, I find that the classroom is able to help me think things out much better than without the aid of the classroom.

I think that the reason for the difference in self-taught psychology outside of the classroom vs. everything else (just about) inside the classroom is I wanted to understand a lot more about wierd people and "wierd" habits (and I, for one, know what that's like...), plus (and this may disturb some people) I wanted to find out what the negative psychological factors of smokers are...I hate it when people smoke (and I think that it's bulls***), so when I meet someone new, I can determine whether or not this new person would make for a solid friendship.

Then again, Graphing Calculator has been a huge aid in my mathematical skills.

5. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're just elaborating on the 'first impressions' phenomenon. Or initial instincts.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a knack for figuring things out on my own, but I also benefited from classroom education. You're exposed to a lot more in a classroom than just figuring out how to do one thing or the current project you're working on. Also, being able to draw from more than one discipline is key in coming up with original or unique solutions (which I like).

D

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think I figure things out on my own pretty well, but I don't think i'm exceptional at it or 'gifted' like that.

I also think of myself as a very good student in school. I actually listen to my teachers which is more than 95% of my peers can say.

scem0

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I believe that there is no 'natural intelligence' because children all across the nation who have smart parents turn out to be dumb as brinks.

Intellegence is learned, not born into.

Teaching yourself is another important skill.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Personally I think intellegence is both learned and inherited through genetics.

Why are most Asian people good at math? Because it is in their genes. It is true that two intelligent people can procreate an unintelligent child, but chances are their child will have above average intelligence. Same goes for two unintelligent people.

scem0

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Yep, agreed. I think its more that these unintelligent types are actually rebelling from their intelligent parents, rather than being completely and utterly stupid. Its a common thing to see.

11. briankonar macrumors regular

its not in their genes...it's because their parents stress it so much, poor grades is akin to shaming your family, i have asian friends who's parent's would tweak out if they got anything less than an A. thus they study (the majority, i know asians who are dumb as bricks as well) to ensure their parents don't flip out on them.

likewise intelligent parents sometimes feed their children with a "silver spoon" thus they never learn how to live in the real world. consequently they are absolutely moronic to us, however it's not to be said they're unintelligent. i'm sure paris hilton could recite 500 brands of clothing and make up with even batting an eye, but she seems awfully stupid to me.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree that it has a lot to do with discipline and obedience, but I still think it is mainly genetics that make Asians excel in math.

I have a bunch of Korean friends, all of which are good at which, and not all of their parents are strict about making good grades and stuff (although most of them are).

scem0

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Asians are good at math because precision is valued in most far east cultures.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The fact that they are all good at math suggests it's cultural, not genetic. If it was genetic, some of them would be good, and some would be bad. Just like some people are tall and some are short.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I tend to like learning on my own (when I can), and learning by doing rather than watching/reading. Very rarely can a see something or have it explained to me, or just study it, and learn it. I need to do it.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think intelligence is mostly genetic, at least excessive intelligence is... true, smart parents have dumb children, as well as the reverse, but two blondes can have a brunette; two skinny people can have a fatty; two people with brown eyes can have a child with hazel. It's all about recessive traits, and genetic weaving-- 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 in genetics, at least visibly.

i learn best hands-on, with casual instruction intermixed. some things are just important to know, that it might take a long time to get from experience-- such as when an exception to a rule applies, something of that nature. there are patterns too broad to easily see, but that you need to know... that's where book learnin' comes in handy :) i also enjoy learning the history, physics, and other applications of something while i'm doing it-- makes it stay in my mind. this may be why i have so much useless trivia in my head, but no practical knowledge ;)

paul

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My friend who is asian is younger then me is 2 year my senior in math.

why?

because his parents forced him to do math lessions for 1 1/2 hours every day since he was born.

its what they expect.

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'll learn more studying by myself then I will in any classroom. I tend to get bored listening to other people's stupid questions.. I'll learn it by myself with a text book much more quickly.

My attendance in college was quite bad... :)