Your new startpage

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cleanup, Jul 10, 2006.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I always wanted to create a personal startpage that was simple and elegant but functional.

I came up with this. Feel free to use it. Drag the following link:

http://www.rokema.com/startpage/index.html

into your Downloads window to download the code, or just View Source. And you can also download the image as well. This way you can customize the shortcut links for yourself. The bar underneath "Welcome to the Internet" is actually a Google searchbar. You'll also notice that each time you refresh the page the background is a new colour, just to give it a bit of a fun, colourful feel.

I'd appreciate some help on this. I want to add things like local weather and RSS feeds (perhaps grab the most popular articles from around the web at that very moment) but I'm not very HTML or CSS savvy. I would also like to spiff up the Google search bar with rounded corners (like those you can find in your Safari and Finder windows) and add an address bar that will simply direct your web browser to whatever you type in the box. I have Yahoo widgets that do this but I'm unsure how to make it work on a website. Help!

Optimized for Safari 2.0.3. It looks a little wonky in Firefox... and don't even ask me about IE.

So, I'd appreciate some help, or you can simply use the page as is. I recommend that you copy it to your Sites folder and then enable Personal Web Sharing, instead of always accessing Rokema.com, which is my parents' company website. It'll be faster and I can't guarantee the server's reliability.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Javascript can do this

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

4. JGruber macrumors 6502

One suggestion - Make the 'Welcome to the Internet' image transparent across all browsers. Remember most people use IE over any other broswer.

visit www.browsercam.com to see what your site will look like in every browser out there.

Overall I like the idea.

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Maybe add some functionality to change the background color rather than an automated change...or have both.