Your Next Battery

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 24, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, just bring along a little can of methanol to recharge the fuel supply.....ah, anyone care to wager if methanol rechargers and fuel cell batteries are on the list for dangerous items at airport security?

D

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure they will eventually find their way onto airplanes. Personally I don't travel much by air, but would love to be able to work away from a plug for an indefinite period of time. Getting a full day's work out of a laptop between charges would be the gold standard. I wonder what the effect would be of combining fuel cell powered laptops with OLED screen efficiency. I wonder how big these things are too, with a smaller form factor for the power supply, the laptop could get even smaller.....

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Anyone remember the Loveable Robot called Bender. He had a power source that ran on Alcohol. Now all we need is for our alcohol driven computeres to swear and steal, and we'll be so close.

TEG

6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

And now for something completely disgusting

If you could make the things run on Methane instead of Methanol, then you could enjoy the Alcohol and let the by-products power the Laptop.

I am sure some of us could manage a full day's supply!!

Max.

P.S. Sorry for the really bad joke, but I couldn't resist!!

7. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: And now for something completely disgusting

*Phhaaaaart!!!*

That's what I've got to say to that idea! :p

cel, suffering the windfall of a Lamb Madras

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would Apple provide the necessary adapter for refilling your methane battery?:D

"Excuse me, my battery is running low. Is there a Taco Bell nearby?"

9. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

No TacoBell, just airplane food

Yes, a well worn seat cushion and a hose and funnel for the laptop. Your job would be to bounce!!.

Max

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Anybody else thinks smaller is not always better?

I think laptops have "almost" shrunk to a point where smaller and lighter won't be an improvement.

I guess that for a computer to be usable, the base should at least be as thick as the screen casing and substancially heavier so the laptop does'nt topple off easily.

On a similar note, last month I bought a new cell phone. Yup, it was very tiny winy... too tiny winy. I could hardly dial a number without mashing more than one button at a time (and no, my fingers are'nt too fat). Unless they find a better way to input phone numbers than pressing numbered buttons, smaller will only be worst, and that's not counting the size of the display.

Hmmm... I,m way off topic now.

Hurray for fuel cells!

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've always been really disapointed with the slow evolution of laptop batteries. In just a few years, the weight, power, size, quality, etc. of laptops has vastly increased, whereas to me it seems, batteries have only marginally improved.

Anyone else think the same?

And no, I have no links or evidence, this is just my personal feeling :D