Your Oldest Possession?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheMonarch, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What's the oldest object you own?

Mine: Some really old "Liqueur" bottle from 1860. Its almost in perfect condition, only a bit chipped on the bottom. Its pretty cool, it seems to be hand blown and everything, I haven't washed it either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, how do I attach images without the "Attached images/files" thumnail thingy on the bottom? :eek:

Attached Files:

2. ethen macrumors regular

i think my birth certificate :p hahah

i think my oldest posession that i personally bought is my basketball cards collections :p

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I don't personally own it, but our house is over 100 years old.
    EDIT: Object? Umm.. it's a big object.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

We've got some antique books from the mid-late 1800s lying around. There's one very interesting one - "The young lady's journal 1895" - which a collection of the all of the publications of it for the year. It's interesting (and quite funny) to see that much of the content is still found in women's magazines today - gossip, recipes, sowing and knitting tips and most interestingly adverts for cosmetics promising to make women look younger.

5. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I have a program from the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. I don't know German, though, so I'm not sure what is says :p

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have a medieval coin...stamped in 1200 something I believe...it's just like a little blob of metal with some designs on it.

Not worth anything though, for some reason. :rolleyes:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My penis.

Apart from leasing it out every now and then, I own it outright and have done for quite some time. :cool:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A step-relative has a silver medal from that Olympics. He was a good/star player for a historical team in Montreal many many years ago, and he shook hands with Hitler during a practice in Germany. Two or three years later, he was in WWII.

We're not talking about oldest unused objects, Jew, so put that thing away. :p

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

a very old globe that belonged to my great grandfather. i can't find a date on it though. africa looks the strangest from that time, a huge northwestern portion is labeled "french west africa". i can try to take a picture if anyone wants.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

A collection of old coins that were found in some shipwreck. I think they're from the 1500's or something.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

*Puts it away*

12. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I own a Limestone Ammonite which is aged at approximately 144 million years. :)

If you mean 'man-made' when you say object, my oldest possession would have to be an ancient Chinese coin, dated circa 600 B.C.

13. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I have a battle hardened Colt 45 that a great uncle carried in WWI. It is in great shape except for a gash in the barrel caused by shrapnel that took my great uncle's leg off. I think it was manufactured in 1913.

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Short term leases are so unsatisfying.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

There are some letters to the House Of Lords in the attic from the 19th century :D The oldest thing I personally own is probably either copy of 1984 from 1948 or some smokes tins (not sure when they're from though - could be anywhere between 1900 and 1950)

16. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My mother hasn't entrusted anything to me yet. But, she has a Russian Icon that's probably over 200 years old. Also, a Chinese bowl that we think is 300 years old. The icon isn't so valuable, but I'm curious about the bowl.

Also have an unopened bottle of wine dated 1935.

I have a picture my grandfather took of people working on the Berlin Wall. As in, during final construction where they are putting barbed wire across the top.

18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The oldest object is an interesting question to ask, and could be taken one of two ways.

"Which object that you are the original owner of have you had the longest? Basically, what was your first possession that you STILL have?"

or "What is the oldest object that you currently own, regardless of its previous ownership?"

To the first, I'd answer my teddy bear, Peanut. I've had him since I was born.
    To the second, I'd answer an OLD OLD OLD 1930s model (or older?!?!) savings bank that holds up to ten bucks in coins.

Hehe.

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That looks more like some kind of torture device. :eek:

20. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Wwii

i have a full bayonett, fully functional, the knife, the sheath, the gun everything. still has the original oil on it. oh, its a japanese model. this thing ways a milion lbs, i can barely aim the thing.
    andreas

21. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

My house. Built between 1906 (constrution started) and 1908 (ended)

22. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

My mom!
    oh snaaapppp

but really.. :)

I have a beautiful old necklace from my Grandmother (father's side)

It's gorgeous and simple.. I love it. I'll take a pic later.

It's an outline of a teardrop with a diamond in the middle.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A small piece of the Roman Forum: and no, you can't post in there.

Attached Files:

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some chinese, roman, and greek coins from ancient times...very common though and not worth a lot

besides that, 1973 yamaha guitar, 1970s baldwin piano, and photos of childhood from the 60s and 70s, and perhaps some silverware from the 50s which we use everyday

i would like to have a vintage 50s or 60s car someday but i have never got around to it and it might be too expensive to keep up and repair

i would also like a 50s american vintage guitar from a major maker but that would be too expensive and in some cases as much as a vintage car...really!

25. siliconjones macrumors member

siliconjones

We have a piece of Roman glass that has been made into a necklace. It was found at the site of an ancient roman glass factory in Israel. It was a about 2000 years old when I purchased it in 1998.