Your Photoshop History

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trebblekicked, Jul 13, 2003.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    with v8 around the corner, i'm wondering how everyone's personal history w/ photoshop goes. which version did you start out with? which upgrades were the most important to you? are you buying into 8 right away?

personally, i first used photoshop 4.x my freshman year of college. after screwing around with it enough on the school network, i bought a copy and upgraded to 5.5, 6.0 and bought a bundled version of 7.0.

i think i owe photoshop a lot. it got me into using computers (specifically macs) for creative work, which eventually led me to the business i currently run. each upgrade seemed good, but the jump to 7.0 permitted me to start using OS X full time and that had the biggest impact on my work flow of all the upgrades. how about you?
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    To tell the truth, I only got into PS as a way to build the menus in DVD Studio Pro, I had v4 but never used it, I got V7 from the Uni and learnt it the hard way.

It's a mighty impressive app, even for a duffer like me.
  3. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    I've been using Photoshop since v3 (which I used on my Performa 5200CD). I definitely think that 7 was the best release so far. The healing brush just makes my job so much easier!

I also think the extract tool, which I think was added in 6 was a nice touch too.

I don't know what they have planned yet for v8, but I'm sure it will be great.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I do not pirate photoshop and my copy of elements 2 has a full purchased license but back in the day in like 8th grade me and my friends had a graphic design class. One of the kids had broadband he was like the first person..something about his dad's work ...well he found photshop 5.0 for windows...we all got cds with it and we all kept askign the teacher questions about how to d things with it....he told us he was going to call the FBI on us because there was no way we had legit versions. he answered some of our questions and it was all fun. After that I forgot about photo editing and just started again this year with elements 2.0
  5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    i started in version 3. had no manual, spent a week attached to the 'puter and figured how it worked and ended up 'thinking in psh' and knowing it better than my pockets ...
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I started with PS 3 as well. I used it until PS 6 came out. I upgraded to PS 7 when I switched to Mac.
  7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    I started with 2.5 or know, the days before LAYERS !!! I then found this fantastic book (pretty random at a computer fair) called 'the Photoshop Wow Book' which really opened my eyes on what you could do with 'channels', creating funky bevels, dropshadows and such. Oh yeah, and then came layers...:p

Am I the only one not liking the 'brush' window in 7 ? Maybe I just need a bigger screen or dual monitor...
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Started with Photoshop 4.0.1 and used it for about a year, but not too frequently.

It took me a few months to understand layers and copying empty selected error messages. This was all with OS 9.

Then I upgraded to 6, now 7.

I got quite a bit of experience from 6, and I'm still learning a lot with 7.
  9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    When I switched to OS X, I was still using Photoshop 2.5.1(no layers:eek: ). It was slow as hell running in Classic on my iMac G3. For a while I had to use Flash to design graphics. I then got 7, which was infinitely better.
  10. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London
    Started to use PS4 back in the days of college and thought it was amazing. Back in those days I worked on PCs. Later moved to verison 5 when I was at university doing my degree and also swited to Macs (1st Gen G4) at the same time, cause all the University computers were all macs. think it was OS 7... Came back to the 2nd year of Uni changed to OS 9 started using version 6 and OS 9 and the Dual G4s which still have for doing all my work on. Now I work as a part time assistant retouch and the heal brush on V7 saves alot of my time. V7 rocks!! but cant see how it can get any better. But for Photoshop the best accessory is by far the Wacom tablet Intuos 2 is even better, oh and the the Mitsubishi 22" pro displays is really good, cant really justify the prices of the Apple studio displays except for equipment colour coordination... :D But I hope to see V8 and what else they can cram into it and my guess is that our office will be first to get it in for a test drive so looking forward to that...
  11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    They could still make it faster.
  12. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London
    I heard that Adobe cant be arsed to optimise the code for apple computers, is this true? Dont have to relase V8 just for improved code right? cant they just do 7.5 or something?
  13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I started on PS4 a while back and have slowly gotten to know it better and better. I still feel like I've only scratched the surface when I see the work some people do...
  14. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2002
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    I think I started with v4 on my ol' Performa 6400. I mainly used v5.5 all through art school and that's where I really learned the power of it.
  15. marcsiry macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    hoo boy.

In early 1990, I was working as an illustrator for the RAND corporation in Santa Monica. My job was to provide graphics for the various classified and unclassified reports that came through the department.

The main tool I used to create these reports was MacDraw- an early hybrid vector/raster imaging program. On the rare occasions that I had to incorporate grayscale images, I would use a program (I think it was called Studio 8) to edit the 256-gray images.

Because the publishing schedule was variable, I often had some free time to 'play' with new apps or learn new techniques. It was during one of those down times that my office manager walked in with a box, and wanted to know if I was interested in playing with some just-released software from the people who made Illustrator 88.

I said 'yes,' of course, and proceeded to install Adobe Photoshop 1.0 on my Mac II. I've used Photoshop nearly every working day since then- I can safely say it's been responsible for 75% of my income for the last decade.

Heh- I remember when I resisted upgrading to 3.0 because I thought Layers were a memory hog. Who needed Layers when you had CHOPs? [extra credit to anyone who can identify that now-obsolete term].
  16. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    Re: Your Photoshop History

I recently sold Photoshop 1 on eBay. That was our first version. I sold the Manuals for v2 recently too. I remember v4 was a HUGE turning point. And Layers... oh my god, when I first used Layers..! Makes me laugh now!
  17. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Started with Photoshop 2 in the very early 90's, then went through v3, but not v4, because v4 was crap basically! then v5, v6 and now v7..

Completely self-taught, no manuals nothing!! :D
  18. gerror macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2001
    2.5 I learned some basic skills at school. Now use 7.
  19. phaeton macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003
    Re: hoo boy.

there are some nice books from "bert monroy" out

one including CHannel OPerationS

very fascinating stuff...
  20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Ha, exactly the same as me. I've bought a few versions of the PhotoShop WOW! books over the years, they've contained great techniques.

And I recommend it to anyone serious about Photoshop.

21. primalman macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    at the end of the hall
    1.0 in 1990. On Mac SE, 9" blank and white screen. Then on some LCs. Pretty basic.
  22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    not sure exactly... believe i started in around... 95 or so.. maybe slightly before... was using my brother's machine/software....

would consider myself an "intermediate" type user...
  23. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    A copy of 5.0 came with my iBook, have to run it in Classic, grrr....

My parent's Sony came with Photoshop Elements 2.0 and its pretty nice, would like to upgrade 5.0 someday though...
  24. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    Ver 4 for me, but I never accepted it until I had to on my first day on the job w/ ver 5.5. Also the first time I had touched a mac since grade school. All in all, an eye opening day. Before that I had uses Paint Shop Pro like it was going out of style and thought the "layers" were too complicated in PS.
  25. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    Started with v.3 and have been enjoying it ever since. I'm just a casual user, but even I'm suprised how much I've learned over the years. I almost instinctually look at how I can make a picture better with PS now. I've still got a lot to learn though.