Your power outage experiance!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Aug 14, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Any one have good stories, basically all i did was try and get chinese food (god bless their hot souls for being open) and it was like 150 degrees F in their... omg I don't know how they were working...

Anyway we are checking when our order is gonna be done (its already been 1 hour)
    'so... when is it coming'
    'Your dad just took your order... no?'
    'MY DAD isn't HERE!'
    'That guy, that was just here'
    'HE IS NOT MY DAD'
    '...ooooo So sorry, your order is with him'

:eek: :confused:

Arg... so basically we get a totally different order after another 45 minutes of waiting in the sauna.

I also have to thanks the blackout for officially firing me from my job. (Job at my doc's office)

Thanks blackout you cost me my job.

I was typing on the computer :bzzz:
    *Power goes down*
    :eek:ffice turns and looks at me:
    'Hey, I didn't do it'

We say that not only the residental power was down, but also commerical like the lights... bad bad thing, but because the doctor isn't going to be in for the next 2 weeks and I will be going back to school it seems that necessary work will not be done and my whole summer will be a waste for the office.

:(

Because the doctor aint going to be in he can't explain what I will do the next 4 days I would be in, I tried explaing that the nurses don't know about what I did and that I could come into show them that... no nice.

arg, I'm not at all happy.

Thanks Power Grid for blowing, thanks a bunch.

:mad:

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I was working on a school document, a civil war essay. I had just finished the introduction which is always the hardest part, when the power went out. Luckily I saved, you can never trust a windoze machine :D :p ;)

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My parents were stuck in the dark today when the power went out. I will be born in 9 months (275 days from today, to be exact). I wonder what Daddy Q and Mommy Q will name me when I'm born?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I grew up 25 miles south east of Eugene, OR in the hills. We have some pretty severe wind storms every 3-5 years. After one wind storm we were without power for 2 and a half weeks. My dad finally got fed up and being an ex line-man for the railroad he threatened to go down the road and replace the blown fuse on the pole himself. They had a utility truck out within an hour once he made that threat.

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

the power went off here a few times for never more then a second(oddly enough, my gamecube managed to stay on dispite everything else going off). those people on the news really pissed me off, they said all the power was gonna be shut down here at 6:30, so i turn all my stuff off, and then what happens? nothing, i sit here for an hour doing nothing before i realized that the power was still on and they weren't doing anything

6. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Your going to be born in 9 months?

huh? :confused:

You mean another child will be?

Your dad should have made that threat earlier!

:D

BTW, where do you live -- plinkoman ?

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

upstate ny

8. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I experienced my only major power outage when I was 14 or so. I had been working on a program (in Turbo Pascal) for a long time and hadn't saved when power went out. That taught me to save early, save often! A lesson I have not forgotten till today... I spent the two hours of outage in a nearby bookstore :).

After that, I never again experienced a power outage myself. There were a couple minor ones (few minutes) when I was on the road (could see it because my alarm clock was reset), but never when I was at home.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

we haven't heard from jellow, t-sac or evo yet...all New Yorkers...

hope they're ok...and whoever else is out there I'm not thinking of...

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me. :p

I was in the heart of Toronto when the power outage occurred. It took me 3 hours (instead of 45 min) to get home, the heat was blazin', and yet I consider myself lucky. The subway was out of service, as were mobile phone services (the # of lines was very limited because the mobile companies were also working on backup power). I hitchhiked home with 3 other people, and the car ride was 1.5 hours to get to the last subway station on the line, which is where I needed to go anyway. The traffic was congested because of construction along our main road, Yonge St. (the longest street in the world.....sorry, just bragging a bit ;)), so it was just horrible. If I didn't hitchhike, it would have taken 5-6 hours to get home, I reckon.

11. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I hope they are okay also, it seems that they are getting back power in certain areas that were hit harder than others, where not only was the grid down but a transformer or such blew.

:(

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm with you eyelikeart, I hope that they are OK and will be able to post soon. New Yorkers are a hardy bunch, so I'm sure that they are fine. I have them in my prayers!

13. benthardunthat macrumors newbie

My thread... it got deleted!
    <sigh>
    Ah well, I guess I'll just have to post here.
    I live in Westchester, which is the county just north of the Bronx. Our power went out at 4:30 yesterday, and it still hasn't come back. I'm typing this on a laptop now, with a dialup connection. Most of Manhattan has power now, as well as most of Westchester, but somehow the energy gods don't see it fit to give Larchmont back its electricity. Ah well, at least my mom got to stay home from work today and make us eggs for breakfast.

14. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Livin in London, Ontario. Its almost 1PM here and i still have no power.

But this has been the best experience ive had for a long time. Kinda funny story about it though. I was chillin out yesterday and me and my roomate had to pay our powerbill and i dont know if he actually did or not, but the power went out so i assumed he didnt. So im chillin out then started to walk to work, noticing that all the stoplights were out. So I figured out that it was maybe just the whole block. So i get to work, walk up four stories of stairs in complete darkness with my trusty cellphone lighting the way only to find out that theres no shift. So i start walking home and just thinking what kind of chaos this is and got the bright idea to find some people to go find some beers with and thats when i was clued into the severity of the situation and was glad i had a full charge on my UPS and my iBook :)

So I got some beer and went home and started hittin the sauce (and i also did some studying). Darkness fell and my neighbourhood turned into a big party. I busted out the iBook and we had some tunes and just had a great time. The night wound down and then i smoked a few bowls with the people who live below me. After they packed it in, i went for a walk downtown in search of some "tail" because in my mind i thought that would be the perfect end to a perfect night! That didnt happen but i was stoned as hell and didnt really care. So i walked back home and crashed.

After a night like this all i can say is THANK YOU to the people responsible for this incident for allowing me to have an awesome evening!

So thats my interesting tale... lets hear yours!

15. Chris Marks macrumors newbie

I wonder how many children will be born 9 months from now in this region :D

I'm in Ohio and the power stayed on here, but went out just an hour north of here. All of my web hosting servers are on Long Island though, and apparently their generators at the datacenter failed :(

16. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I live on Long Island... Almost every town here now has power, you should see if the servers are up again.

:D

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, MrMacman, my claim that I was conceived yesterday was just another of my lame jokes, based on the phenomenon that Chris Marks is talking about. I failed to include the joke-warning-symbols: :D :D

18. Chris Marks macrumors newbie

Yeah, they came back online at 1:39am this morning.

19. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Well....

Although I do live near Rochester NY, which did get hit hard by the power outage, for once, I did not lose power. I live in Fairport, a suburb of Rochester, we have Fairport Electric as our provider, which ironically, is fed from Niagra Mohawk. And any time there is a storm and the area loses power, we are the first ones out, and he last ones back online. Bur for once, we had power on the entire time. I lost my cable internet connection for 10 minutes... but other than that, I have had power. It has been so great, except for the fact that my cousin is getting married today, and the church and party house still are without power, so we are having a BBQ instead. Good times.

20. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    thanks for the concern guys :)

i was in quite possibly the best place to be when something like this happens, in the ER haha. i dragged the gf there as she got poison ivy all over her and it's not getting better, they had the emergency generators going for half an hour, then that went down and only the bare neccessities were going. The power went out at abot 3pm i think?

it was soooo beautiful outside though, i wish it was like that more often, no streetlights, could actually see the stars for once. fortunately i had one of them tiny keychain lights with me so we could walk home safe (only a couple of blocks away). We stopped at the deli (thanks for staying open!!!! it beats me why more places didn't stay open to be honest) and sat in the car listening to the radio for a while, before barbequeing on the roof (of the apt not the car).

was a shame to see a few jackasses driving way too fast though, do they not realise that the traffic lights are not working??? morons.

to be honest, apart from being mega angry at ConEd (why do we pay all this money for the priviledge of living in perhaps the greatest city in the world, only to be served by third world neccessities?) it made me wish i was somewhere where the silence and tranquility would last.

We regained power at 4am this morning in Brooklyn, about 2pm in the West Village, and apparently further east and south (NoLiTa) it was about 8pm.

21. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I sat at home and listened to the radio for a while, thanks to a very high quality Compaq power backup. Then, I barbequed some salmon, and talked to the neighbors about the rat problem a block away. Some couple paid $450,000 for a house that they needed to gut, and then found a rat infestation in the wood pile in the backyard. Thankfully, they live next the assemblyman, so it's was delt with in a very timely fashion :D, but I digress. Then we loaded up in the family truck and drove around in Freeport, Oceanside, and Long beach, where they never lost power (and to think people wanted the power plants in that area shut down!) We stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts and I got a Strawberry Coolatta and a Vanilla Marble Frosted doughnut. We got some gas and went home. I tried to fall asleep on the couch, but I soon learned that 1) sweaty skin and leather don't mix; 2) the human body can fall asleep after a long enough period of time, regardless of condition. The next morning I woke up to learn that the houses three blocks north of mine had power since early in the morning. I got a rude wake-up call from my grandmother with her bitching at me aboout not being at work. I explained to her why a catering outfit shouldn't be open when there is no power, expired food, etc. etc. Then the power came back on.

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'm on the other side of the country (California), so I wasn't in the blackout. I've been in some rolling blackouts, and I was once in Sacramento, CA in 110-degree heat when the power went out some years back. I think that one affected something like 10 million.

23. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Glad your back evoluzione!

So what happened to jelloshotsrule?

I hope he got his power back!

Anyone hear from him?

I thought everyone got back their power!

Wow, if he didn't get his power on yet... shame on the power guys... :eek:

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i haven't seen him around here much, anyway. was he posting much before the outage?

25. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

He was posting around 2 posts a day...

I thought he might be affected by the power outage... dunno, anyone hear from him?