Your recomendation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Nov 30, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I want to make the switch i was thinking of getting an ibook but im looking to replace my desktop all together and the ibooks video card will no be enough for some of the games i like to play. Im leaning more toward an iMac but maybe you guys can give me a better recomendation. I dont want to spend more than 2500. I use studio mx,flash,photoshop,a fair amount of video editing and web site development. I play games like ut2004,half life 2,wc3.I want a computer thats gonna be fast and snappy not lagging in the slightest.What do you guys think

2. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Since the iMac has only been at our house for a couple of days, and still does not have it's RAM upgrade...I cannot attest to its snappiness (obviously, 256MB or RAM will not be enough).

I will tell you that I've played WoW on the iBook in my sig, in addition to using Final Cut Pro, and various Adobe products (I'm a video editor by day...). It will not be snappy when doing these. BUT, it will work. If you're looking for a desktop replacement, as much as I hate to say it, you gotta go powerbook. Unfortunately, might not be a good time to buy a powerbook with possible G5 powerbooks hitting the shelves in 2005.

Really, though, sounds like an iMac or a PowerMac is what you need.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The iMac isn't a gaming machine.
    Its a nice desktop for everything else.

You can get a PM G5 (Single 1.8Ghz) with Geforce 6800GT for $1899 from apple. Get on of those nice Dell 20" LCDs and you are still within the $2500.
    This machine will be much better for gaming then the iMac. (you are still a bit short on RAM and HD..). If you get a 17" LCD you will affort a extra GB of ram and an extra HD. If you are a student you can get EDu discount and save you a few $$, and then you maybe can affort the 20" and RAM upgrade..

4. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I'm just wondering, what setup is good enough for a 'gaming machine'?

I've run games like WoW, and Dark Age of Camelot on fairly cheap systems and been very pleased--for example.

I'm not a real gamer though, so I was just wondering...

THANKS

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Remember that there’s no HL2 for Mac and will probably never be.

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Apple refurb:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified
    • Save 16% off the original price
    Original price: $1,599.00
    Your price: $1,349.00

Estimated Ship:1-2 business days, Free Shipping

Power Mac G5 1.6 GHz 256MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified
    • Save 41% off the original price
    Original price: $1,999.00
    Your price: $1,199.00

Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days, Free Shipping

Why not have both for $2550? ... assuming you currently have a display. ;)

peace.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I would recommend any G5 mac with a video card better than the 5200Ultra. That card pushes games like my grandma pushes her shopping cart. The 9600/9700 provide an acceptable experience if you are willing to turn off options. If you just don't want to worry about crappy performance, wait for the X800 or just buy a xbox to game. Right now, it seems that WoW runs best on ATI hardware.

8. Yotabyte macrumors member

Yotabyte

Get a PC if you want to play lots of games, and like the occasional LAN (people will laugh at you if you drag an imac or powermac in and will complain about its network compatability, speed, and other such misconceptions) I am keeping my desktop for games and getting an ibook for uni work, beauty, toughness, and cheapness! So you need to think, do you really want to play games a lot? If so, regardless of what the hardest of the hard core Mac gamers would say, the range of games made is just too small, and are best experienced on a PC. If you want to do graphics work, school work, work work, or work, get a Mac, and get the APPROPRIATE Mac too :p No need getting a powermac if you're not going to be taking advantage of it's leetnes.

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

What he said. PC for games. Mac for everything else.

I do play WC3 at full graphics levels on the machine in my sig.

lasuther

10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

War Craft 3 and half life 2 for x box iiiiiiiiii dont think so

11. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

The thing is that some people are Games junkies.......and they need to have the BEST gaming computer around. In that case, get a PC......

.....but if you're like me, an ocassional gamer, you just want a machine that can handle a good game such as Return To Castle Wolfenstein, etc....but you don't want a FULL ON GAMING machine, then any G4 Macintosh with good amount of ram would suit your needs. A g4 1.33 Powerbook, ibook, imac, etc..... better if the processor's more than 1 ghz. and at least 512 - 768 ram.