Your review on the emac and the imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac pac, Sep 22, 2003.

1. mac pac macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2003
    I want to hear peoples review on the iMac and emac. What are the pros and cons of both?
  2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I have a 15" iMac 700 G4 Combo, and my grandparents recently bought an 800MHz eMac.

The issue I have with the iMac is that its UI performance is not as good as my iBook. I'm not really sure why this is, as it is better in every specification than the iBook (it has 512MB ram). The genie is not nearly as fluid, it doesn't scroll as nicely, and windows don't resize as fast, to name a few. My iBook is the 800MHz Combo model. Otherwise, the machine is excellent. Web/email/Office/iTunes/iChat, Dreamweaver, ImageReady (batch processes finish much quicker than on my iBook), light Photoshop all run well. When I was using JBuilder for classes, it was actually usable, something I couldn't say about running it on my 500MHz iBook when I had it. iMovie is running quite well, especially with version 3.0.3. It can run all the above applications simultaneously without noticable performance hits unless something is rendering in one of the apps. The display is also very nice, and is easy on the eyes.

My grandparents eMac is also nice. It doesn't have the UI problem my iMac has, and runs everything they do quite nicely (of course, just about any fairly current machine would). I haven't used it for very long, but my impressions of it were good. One caveat is the display is not as good as the iMacs, but can be set to a higher resolution than the 15" iMac.