Your Router Is Incompatible With DS, I Think Not

Discussion in 'Games' started by Laser47, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

For christmas I received MarioKart DS, and one of the first things I wanted to do was get online with it. But since my wireless network was WPA I had to change my router to WEP, which I did not want to do. So I had a Dlink DI-514 laying around with hopes to use this wireless router connected to my linksys router so i could keep WPA with my computers and use the Dlink with wep, to only serve my DS. Sadly the DI-514 was on the "incompatible" router list on nintendos wifi site. So with some searching I found this http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=general_wifi&message.id=23873&page=1
    Tried it on my router and Tada it worked.

To the point
    It might work on other routers aswell so if your router isint compatible with your DS, try the following

In the advanced wireless settings of your router change the;
    "Basic Rates" to 1-2Mbps
    and use a Long Preamble.

The reason the DS doesnt work with my router atleast, is that the router is not scaling back to the 2Mbps speeds that the DS uses.
    Also note that changing the Basic rates wont affect the connection speeds of your wireless computers. i.e If you have a B setup youll still connect at 11Mbps.

Anyways give this a try, good luck.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The DS is capped out at 2Mbps? That sucks. Good way to ensure an even, calculable load on your servers though I guess.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, but the DS doesn't even have that much memory, does it? Do you think it's capable of pushing out a data stream much larger than 2 Mbps?

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I also found that my Netgear DG834G (v2) did not work until I upgraded the firmware.

To upgrade the firmware I had to use an Ethernet cable and Firefox (Safari wouldn't have any of it)

Mario Kart DS is so much fun :D

Not many people (in the UK at least) have an internet connection greater than 2Mbps. The maximum most places can get, if you're lucky, is 2Mbps. I live in a fairly major city and I can only get 1Mbps. Latency is much more important than bandwidth for online gaming.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It has 4 MB of memory (that's 32 Mb). But most is used up by the game.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, but do you see an online game needing to re-write the entire contents of memory every 16 seconds? ;)

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Yeah, Nintendo lists my D-Link DI 524 Version A as incompatible, but the D-Link wbesite has instructions on how to fix their routers to work with the DSes.

So now mine's up and running! :D

8. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

not that you want to wait until march. But the USB Dongle may be packaged with Metroid. It's being discussed.