Your Scratch Disks are full - I have 7Gb free!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jebaloo, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006

When I try and open a large file in photshop, or perform a complicated function on that large file (once I get it to open), sometimes my PowerBook G4 won't let me because it says that my Scratch Disks are full.

I appear to have 7Gb free (although it regularly drops down to as low as 500Mb, and I quikly transfer stuff onto my external hard drive).

Do you have any ideas why this might be?

As a sort of solution I tend to shut down all other programs, empty my trash etc and normally it'll let me do whatever I wanted to do. But there's no reason for me to do this because I have plenty of Gb free.

As a side note I recently boogered up my computer and reinstalled the operating system a month ago - this may be relevant - I don't know.

Cheers guys.
  2. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006
    New point to note.

Strangely after writing this post, my hard drive now says it only have 1.7Gb free, and I've not done anything to it since 10 minutes ago it sais I had 7Gb free.

What's going on?

It's half way through a photoshop task.
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You really need to free up some space on your're going to run into severe stability problems if you keep operating like that.

From what I recall, Photoshop likes you to have 20 GB free if you're running on the same volume that's running the OS in order to allow plenty of space for virtual memory and scratch disk space to coexist peacefully.
  4. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006
    Okay, thanks for your help.

I need a new external hard drive quick! It's only 20Gb free on it.
  5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    If you just reinstalled your OS you most likely installed all the languish packs which will account for about 2-3 gig.
    You can get rid of them with Delocalizer App.
    Also if you don't use Garage Band, get rid of all the loops which are several gigs worth.

Hope this helps.
  6. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    a simulacrum
    sorry to revive this, but i just got the same message from Photoshop, and i've got 23GB free on my drive...
    what gives?

ps. i've added iDisk to the scratch disks and it opens the files now, but this isn't really a fix, is it now? :)