Your secret talent...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Jul 29, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Don't you have a secret talent or "sense" that may be so silly or not important (... silly) or complicated to prove taht you haven't share to any one? I have one and you are gonna be the first people on earth to know about it.

I can recall tv shows or movies and see them just as I turn on the tv. For example, today I was doing my stuff outside driving every where working and in the back of my head I had this images of the movie "TOYS" where the grave of the dad was a big elephant in a very huge field, I was thinking about the loghing machine that was allways on. Well, when I got home and turn on tv the movie was on on TNT I think, a movie I haven't see in 4 years or more.

Well, I have recalls like that all the time, I even though that just by the statistics on how many times we have reruns on tv but this is way too particular to make it fall in to "statistics". I have this thing going on since I was a kid. I can not predict what is gonna be on but if I start to think in "Logans Run" for example I may see it on tv. There are a lot of shows that I think about that doesn't show up but the most strangest ones. The think has a caracteristic and is that the show is gonna be on just as soon I turn on the TV and those are shows that I thouigh about them that same day, no the day before.

Well, I have that supernaturals ussless talent or intuition, I wish I could make money from that or make it usefull.

I asume everybody should have something like that that is very stupid but very strange, do you?

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Just think of all the times you where thinking about a TV show and then when you turned the TV on, that show wasn't on. Pure coincidence.

Or think of all the times you have purchased a number of items at a store and with tax the total comes out to an even dollar amount, like $67.00. "Oh, that's strange!" Well, think of all the times that it doesn't end up being a even dollar amount and then it doesn't seem so strange.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i can figure out the beat of a song just from 2 or so seconds..if i have heard it before..

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe that's your secret talent, the perfect "Name that Tune" contestant.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

i remember memories in such a way that I can remember the most insignificant details but not anything significant (i.e. MWSF03 keynote, the time me and Josh decided to get together, my first day of kindergarten)...but that's not really a talent...but occasionally it is very useful.

edit: cant forget my crazy spatial ability...

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm a number cruncher. I can also work with basic Calculus 1 well without pencil or paper, just a brain.

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Well, I have one or two...but they're secret! :D

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My brain RAM has not-so-secret talents and not-so-secret flaws.

I remember relative directions. I might not remember what I ate or who I was with the first time I ate at a particular restaurant many years before, but I can remember which direction the entryway was from the parking lot, which way the aisles ran, which position at the table I sat at, etc.

I can recite over 70 digits of pi but I always have to look up my friend's phone number.

I can recognize hundreds of rock n' roll songs by the first few seconds of their intro but I can't name the well-known actor in a movie I'm watching.

I can remember sentences from a book I read 10 years ago, but not the name of the guy I was introduced to at a party 15 minutes ago.

I can describe my quirks but I can't explain them.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

mmmmm :)
    70 digits of pi...

anyway, i was thinking...and i discovered another "talent" of mine and it's that I have relative pitch. Honestly, I think it's not that great, but I'm sure sparkleytone will disagree with me...

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I have an good ability to remember phone numbers. If I dial the number 3 times or so and then once a month at least then I'll remember it for a very long time. I'd give you an example of my skills, but it would require posting phone numbers on the web. Not exactly a good idea.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha...yeah...

I can do this thing with my tongue...flick it really fast...insane fast...

raises brows whenever ladies are present... :D

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Can I borrow your brain when I want to call my friends?

13. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Smoke rings. Like a machine. Big, small, slow, fast -- even in a fair breeze. No smokes? If the air's still enough, I can blow a vapor ring. I could have been a pro.

By the way, I don't smoke anymore, but it's kind of like riding a bicycle.

<O even my own T>
    How did that Pet Shop Boys tune go? "We've both given up smoking, 'cuz it's fatal...so who's matches are those?"
    </O even my own T>

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

at one point i could do 50.. it was 1:1 digit/ec point for my math class as an end of the year contest.

15. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, that never happend to me, what happen is that I'm always $2 under the actual price damn it!:D

About the music, that is easy to explain, that is having a good ear, I can do that too specially with 80's music, I have heard them so much that I just hear the firs beat of the base drum and I know actually what son is, Falco, Depeche Mode, Bananarama, etc. Every sound has a particular reverb and equalization, even when you know it is a base drum every single song has a particular sound, specially today that we heard the same songs over and over on the radio. Madonna for example, every time I hear the first 1/2 of a secund I change the station:rolleyes:

That is like when you are in your room and you heard the front door of your haouse opening, you knw when is your sister or your mother because they do it in different way, or the way they hold the keys or even their whay they park the car.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

since i quit recording and gigging in 1999, my secret talent has been playing guitar

pretty much the only person who sees me play these days are my wife...and sometimes my friend

in the local music scene, there are a whole new lot of young musicians, so us retired guys can anonymously watch or just walk by and i prolly look like some old businessman or teenager's parent

when i am on the road, i don't listen to music, just talk radio

and at my house, it's tv or videos much more often than a CD or tape

the idea of late night hours in the studio working on a thirty second guitar passage or playing a gig late into the night for free or little money does not appeal to me...now if the music scene was in the middle of the day, i might still be up there doing my thing:p

17. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Re: Your secret talent...

Wow man. That exact same kind of thing happens to me. It was even more spot-on as a kid. i would always think about a particular episode of my favorite cartoon and then lo and behold- come back from school and that episode is on.

18. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hehe, I know everything about history...

when I was in college, I knew a lot more about US history than the americans who happened to be history majors... tststs :(

we don't have to talk about european or german history, that's were I'm the champ ;)

vSpacken

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

hmmmmm

well, its not really a secret, but I'm good at anything involving flipping in midair - like diving, gymnastics, and wushu.

I get to show off my 'secret' talent all the time though ;).

Everyone is always suprised that I can do acrobatics though - I guess I don't look like a gymnast or anything - but do I look that clumsy?

Another talent might be singing. I don't think my voice has a very good quality, but I think I have very good pitch, and I have a very good range. I just don't think people would want to hear me sing because of my voice quality.

Another hidden talent would be my knowledge of computers. Not many people know that I am a geek. It comes as a shock to most people. I guess I don't act geeky - but I swear I am! ;)

I think those are my main secret talents. :)

scem0

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish that I had the talent of my grandfather, my mother's father. He could wiggle his ears without any visible facial movement. His talent always fascinated me!

21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I can swivel my foot around 180 degrees. I figure I can always use it in an emergency to fake an injury to get out of doing something.

22. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have another sort of a talent

I can crash any system, that is not a big deal and I was big on that. My talent came to its maximun expression when I crashed a digital audio console back in 1997 when I was studing multimedia. Dedicated equipment shouldn't do that but I did. I crashed an Indigo SGI machine too just 3 minutes after I put my hands on it, a terrible crash.

A teacher told me that I would be very good Alpha tester, I may be able to crsh a tv too, I haven't try that yet.

23. Cubeboy macrumors regular

five out of six times, I can guess the time correctly or at least come withing 5 minutes of it, must be one of those internal biological clock implants. :p

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very organized, keep a lot of lists. Tend to have a good memory for details, suprise people "How did you remember that?"

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: I have another sort of a talent

sweet talent!

Can I borrow that? :D

I have that time talent where you know what time it is always...

I also have the power to heal computers... my mom trys getting airport to work she fails.

I touch the computer, it goes back up... haha.

I guess it is scared of me. :p