Your spam to helpful post ratio

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killuminati, Jun 4, 2006.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I noticed that I am almost at 2,000 posts here on MR and thought back on all of them. I realized that I must have a 50:1 spam to helpful post ratio, it's horrible. Well I guess this thread is just making that number worse :p

When I joined these forums I had just switched to Macs so all of my posts were about getting help and educating myself. Now, I mostly just read the rumors here and post in the community forum.

So how helpful do you consider yourselves, and have you noticed a difference in how you post now compared to when you joined?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I go through phases... and usually am able to help in the Design and Graphics forum. Let's also just say that a large amount of spam gets siphoned off into the Private Forum.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I think my snide and or (intended) humorous comments outweigh my helpful ones by a fair whack.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think you're a liar. :p

And I'd say out of my way too many posts; maybe two of them have been helpful. :eek: Most of my posts are probably in the community discussion or private forums like BV.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

dunno about that. when you decide to help it's usually in top form. quality not quantity and all that. ;)

that can be said about a lot of the big "spammers" too actually.

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

With all the forums I belong to, the first couple of months I'm all business. But as I get to know people, the farther I get from actuallly being a resource. I find myself posting more in the "fun" places and less to help others. It's a bad cycle. :)

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've found that I help people when I see their thread on the front page, but I rarely browse those forums as I did when I first joined. Now its mostly rumors and community that I look into :eek:

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't think I'll set any records for having a nice low spam:helpful ratio because I like talking about almost anything, because I can rarely resist a good joke when I think of one, and because Mac users are so smart that they rarely need any help!

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Of course, you have to be smart to make the decision to switch :D

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

ah, the humility.

I have always found the opinion, information and manner of your postings to be among the best on this board. Give credit where credit is due.

I would say it is a Canadian thing, but there are some other Canadian posters <ahem>, that deserve other kinds of credit.

To the OP's point, since I almost exclusively post in the Political Forum - I post worse than spam according to many.

I make my hasty retreat...

I will say that even in regular conversation in the real world, alot can be considered analgous to spam - so no-one be too hard on themselves - keep it in perspective. A laugh is always useful.

11. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Speak for yourself - I'm still getting used to not having a Start Menu :p :D

As for me, I'm completely useless. Occasionally I start a thread that has a few replies (i.e. Microsoft Office 2007, hehe...), but usually I'm pretty...well, useless :D .

I'm on my way to 500 posts though, which is nice...I feel like I've been 'more than a regular' for some time now...<shrug> :eek:

EDIT: by the way, when (and if) I do hit 500 posts, my ratio will be exactly 1:499). I did help someone once...I swear...

12. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    After this post I'd say my ratio is 1:1066. :D

It's probably more like 75% of my posts are not helpful.

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I wouldn't consider this stuff Spam, cause most of the stuff I post is in the Community forum, but it is just a bunch of useless stuff. Sometimes I help when I can.

14. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

The thing is that by hanging around shooting the breeze there's a good chance that someone will be hanging around at the crucial moment when a queree needs to know something. If there was a rule that only posts that directly answered a question were allowed, then how many would spend there time here monitoring the forum and waiting for an opportunity to help someone?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

About 13960:1, spam to helpful. :eek:

I reckon that guy I helped out all those years back, probably had me on his Ignore list anyway. :(

16. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I always try to be helpful or add to the conversation. But people ignore what I say (based on quotations of my post or responses to my post) 75 percent of the time. So a 3:1 spam to helpful ratio I guess.

17. riciad macrumors 6502

I don't post hardly any problem-solving posts for two reasons:

1. My dial-up connection is so slow I figure by the time I've managed to make a reply roughly 10 other people will have supplied an answer.

2. I don't have enough confidence and wouldn't want to lead anyone astray.

I'd hate it if everyone was restricted to helpful posts. I count on getting a few good laughs here every day and am rarely disappointed. Some of the more regular posters have great senses of humour and even their helpful posts can be funny.

So keep up the "spamming" please!

18. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

All this talk of 'spamming' has reminded me of a joke...

Doctor: So, when did you first discover you had diaroeah?

Patient: When I took off my bicycle clips.

19. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

For all us male posters there is nothing worse than a low spam count....:p

20. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

You exaggerate! It must be at least 13959:2 because you helped when my powerbook was overheating!! And I posted my thanks. :)

21. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Pfft...I got you all beat...I'm all spam, baby! :p

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I try to keep things about even:

1/3 spam, often way off topic - this category has exploded in size after the introduction of a certain thread... :rolleyes:

1/3 mostly on topic, but not really helpful - e.g. Daily Tunes recommendations threads and sorts

1/3 trying to give answers to problems - trying, in vain, to get this up to about 50% :eek:

Wait now... what would you say this post is...? Mostly on topic, but not really helpful...? D***, there goes my helpful ratio down again... :(

:p

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cheers buddy. :D

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, at least you tried to be helpful.....I am not sure that I ever have. ;) :)

25. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee