Your take on the G4 Ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, Jun 3, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    Hey guys,

I've desided to go with the Ibook for now as some of you already know - since it hass all the power i'll need for the time being and is very affordable. Anyway what i want to know is what you guys think about it?

I know that when put up against the PowerBooks we'd all choose a PowerBook for obvious reasons; but i figured i'd wait for now since i could do with saving some money.

Meening i'll have more money for when i get home (next yeat), so, hopefully i can go right out and get myself a PowerBook then.

Theres also an advantage in waiting:

1. I wont distroy it while i'm out here (As anyone who's done some travelin knows things get banged about a bit).
    2. There may even be a new version or price cut by then! :D.

So, good points and bad points guys :). Spare no detail ;).

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Even though I have a new iBook, love it, and usually tout it's features to no end, I guess i'm just getting le tired of all of the iBook threads as of late. If you run a search you will find countless discussions about the iBook's features. I'm sorry to be an ogre. :( Please dont hate me! :)

Additionally, if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to post them!
  3. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    LOL why would i hate you, your just saying what you think which is a very admarable quality. Besides it would make me a hipacrit since things like this come outa my mouth every few weeks on

In any case i already have asked spacific questions. And i've read though and looked at the threads already in the forum. What i wanted wasn't so much your thoughts about its features but the Ibook itself. What you think of it etc.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I now have a 17" PowerBook but I've had 4 iBooks and loved them all:
    Blueberry Clamshell
    Graphite SE Clamshell
    Dual USB G3
    12" G4.......which is the latest. I just sold this in March and bought my PowerBook. This was a great laptop. I had zero problems with it. The only reason my wife and I sold it and bought a PowerBook was because we had trouble adjusting to the 12" LCD. We bought the 15" G4 iMac when it first came out and then upgraded to the 17" G4 iMac when it was it was difficult to go to 12" on the iBook. But it was very small and easily portable. Our 17" PowerBook is easy to carry around too....but not nearly as convenient as the iBook was. My advice on the iBook is to get as much RAM as you can. Check into this before buying....mine came with 128MB in the Apple slot (not upgradeable by the owner) and 128MB in the user in order to upgrade I would have had to take out 128MB and put in another chip. Also, go to the Think Secret Store ( ?i think?) and buy a PowerSleeve for your iBook. This will protect your iBook from getting any scuffs or scratches on the outside.
  5. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Downside of iBooks...they scratch and they're not very expandable. You need a hack to make them do more than just mirror on an external monitor and you'll pay extra for airport. Keyboard isn't as good as a powerbook keyboard--which is the best, hands down. Doesn't have as good a video card either.

*They're bombproof--no denting and hard to break.
    *They do pretty much everything the 12" powerbook does for much cheaper.
    *They're workhorses--incredibly reliable and strong and solid. Will last you years.
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Add to that:
    *Longer battery life than the Powerbooks.
    *Better Airport reception than the PB.
  7. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    The current difference between the iBook and the PowerBook should not be noticeable to a mainstream user. I think you have a good plan: get the iBook now, and in a year get a Rev. A. or Rev. B PowerBook with the e600, e700 or G5 :)
  8. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Good points although the latest Powerbooks are suppose to have a much better battery life, 4-5 hours. Still not as reliably long as the iBook, but close to matching it. Not like before where you were lucky to eek out 3 hours on a Powerbook as compared to the iBook's solid 5 hours.
  9. Godfather macrumors member

May 11, 2004
    they should make a stickie why a pb is better then an ibook and the other way around.

• Positives:
      They're bombproof--no denting and hard to break;
      They do pretty much everything the 12" powerbook does for much cheape;
      They're workhorses--incredibly reliable and strong and solid. Will last you years;
      They have better Airport reception;
      They have longer battery life.

• PB is more powerfull;
      PB has a bigger resolution
      PB has better Grafix Card
      PB has more RAM Capabilities
      PB has more features as in 'ports'
      PB is just better looking :p (this IS a questionable statement)

Some admin put this in a stickie or w/e u guys use here so we won't have to see it every day! :D
  10. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    Actually the PowerBook, as in the 12" has the same memory capasity as the Ibook aswell as the same number of ports in pretty much the same place. The PowerBook is also available with a bigger, faster hard drive (directly from apple). The last point being looks, i think there both really cute although the PowerBook gets the ribbon "miss Apple laptop 2004" :D.

On the point of the sticky, thats probably a good idea though i hope you guys don't think this was another which is better thread since we're all aware of that already ;).