Your TV provider?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Aug 20, 2006.

?

Your TV provider

1. Cable: Shaw

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Cable: Sasktel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cable: TimeWarner

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Cable: ComCast

27 vote(s)
    42.2%
  5. Cable: Rogers

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Satellite: Bell ExpressVu

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Satelliter: Star Choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Satellite: Dish Network

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. Satellite: DirecTV

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Is it Cable or Satelite, What Brand? I use Bell ExpressVu. Do you like it or not?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know many cable/sat in the US/UK, so if your provider isn't on the poll, don't try to vote

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Back home, I have Charter, which absolutely sucks.

Here at college, I have a local company called Fidelity which sucks so bad, they make Charter look excellent.

Their suckage is different though. Charter sucks, because while the prices are good, the service is terrible. With Fidelity, the service is OK (Expanded basic is only like 50 channels where it's 80 or so with Charter. MTV2, G4, and many others require digital with Fidelity), but the prices are outrageous. Like, our 1.5m down/256k up is $45, where with Charter, we have 3 down/512 up for $40. 5 mbit with Fidelity is $75, and I think $45 with Charter.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Direct TV here.

I've had a couple of problems with them, broken DVR and signal problems. All of which were dealt with promptly, but I must say, I was much happier with Dish network (Not a single problem in 2+ years).

Oh, and the Direct TV UI sucks. It is extremely laggy (Though not as bad as the comcast UI)

I only switched to Direct TV because I bought an HDTV and Dish network insisted on charging me 300 bucks to lease their HDTV receiver. Direct TV sent me the HDTV and a DVR for free.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Time Warner is about to gobble up Comcast here in Los Angeles. They've been running ads implying that customers won't know the difference, but if you read the fine print in circulars they've been mailing out you'll learn that all of the channel lineups and channel numbers will change, which will be a major headache to many customers. That pain will be temporary, however.

9. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

comcast basic, we used to have digital with on demand and what not, but we decided we'd rather have tivo than digital. a decision i'm very pleased with.

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

11. nived macrumors member

Dallas is in the same boat... they say there will be no noticeable differences, but I believe Comcast offers 7 email accounts with their internet service, and Time Warner's fine print stats that their "Road Runner" internet service offers only 5 email accounts... it doesn't really matter, but I wasn't very excited to hear I might loose two.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Comcast isn't great but Time Warner is pretty lousy most of the time. Deception is Time Warner's favourite tool. They had some interesting advertising as DirecTV made inroads into Central Floriduh.

I had Time Warner but they switched areas with BrightHouse Networks, so I now have the same minimal, local channel lineup with BrightHouse and the bill is something over $22.00 total.

13. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Don't you guys get Sky in the States? I thought they were international... Oh well, thats what I've got, 600 channels of bliss! ;)

Cheers

14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i have Comcast Basic Cable. i don't really have any problems with it but then again, i'm not paying for it.

15. kjwebb macrumors regular

Selectv (a startup Pay TV company here in Australia which is better than Foxtel for the basic package) and good ol' free digital TV.

16. iShane macrumors 6502a

Time Warner for TV and for Internet. They're great for tv, lots of great channels but for internet they're not that great. Nice and fast but there has been some problems.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If your gonna do a poll make sure you name all the providers.:rolleyes: Cox Communications here, one of the bigger ones.

18. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Time Warner here, I had Adelphia and had no problems with them (except for the $$) but then TW bought them out after Rigas screwed us over.

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Comcast Digital Cable with HD capable DVR service. Very happy with the service :)

20. ghostee macrumors 6502

I have the ~$15 Comcast basic cable service, which basically only includes locals. The plus side is it includes all the locals in HD as well. It pays for itself with the amount I save off my internet bill for having their cable as well.

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

22. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Why pay

I'm with you. I love tv, but I wouldn't pay for it unless I was living in the middle of nowhere and only got one channel.
    I forget how many channels I got when I was analog, I went digital a couple of months ago. Now I get about 20 channels crystal clear from my Samsung HDTV tuner for free.
    6 of those channels are PBS. 4 are Pax sub-channels or the Worship network. The WB sub-channel is "The Tube" (music videos). The NBC sub-channel is the NBC Weather Plus. The ABC sub-channel is just live doppler which is actaully just a mirror feed of a windows desktop. On friday nights you can see them running Norton AntiVirus.
    The only channel I lose from analog I don't really miss. We get MTV2 for free here in Boston.
    The signal is suprizsingly clean even during severe thunder storms. The only problem is when the signal is bad (very rarely) it is completely unwatchable. It's like watching a scratched DVD. In that case I just fire up the VCR and watch the analog broadcast.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Comcast Digital Cable - about $50/month - Free HBO :cool:

24. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

:D :D :D I've got the same thing. Comcast Basic Cable is almost "free" considering the discount on their High Speed Internet. I also rent their HDTV box for $5/mo. since my HDTV didn't come with a digital tuner.