Your verdict - 10Gb iPod ?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Mar 25, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hello all,

I am looking at getting the new 10Gb version of the iPod, I've read all the reviews online and they all say it's great. But...They are not really end-users like u and me, what do you guys think of the iPod, ease of use etc?
    Is it worth the cost (not cheap!) ?

Many thanks,

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Welcome Verbose! I think the iPod is a great buy at 399 when it was released. I think they should have lowered the prices a little, but in reality, those drives they are using are very expensive. I do think it is worth it though, especially if you have a lot of MP3's like I do. Check out www.ro3.com for a cool case. Again welcome, and believe me, you will love your iPod!

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks!

Thanks Backtothemac for your comments, I think I'm gonna have to give in and get one!

Any more comments would still be welcomed!

THANKS AGAIN!

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The ipod is a really neat little device, but you have to really think about whether you would really listen to a "walkman" enough to justify the price. I mean, when I'm at home, I've got my stereo and satellite tv, not to mention internet radio. When on the road, I listen to my car stereo. I'm not going to exersize (I can't spell today for some reason) with a 400 dollar machine I could break.

That leaves me with very little time to listen to an i-pod, no matter how cool it is. Then again, if I had time, I'd buy one.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Look at it this way: if you're prepared to buy an iPod in the first place that means you're ready to shell out $400. So for 25% more ($100) you get 200% of the hard drive space! (Boy, I should be in Apple Marketing. :D )

Me, I bought a 5 gig when a 5 gig was the only option...

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

In my opinion, if you want real quality for your money, get the Marware SportSuit sleeve!
    http://www.marware.com/iPODsleeve.html
    It's only $20, but the thing is made to last. It hasn't put one scratch on my iPod. Plus, it's got a hole in the top for your headphones and a pouch in front to store them. If you've memorized the location of the buttons you can navigate right through the fabric. And it comes with a belt clip.

They're also taking preorders for a play-thru case, but it costs $40... ouch! I'll stick with the $20 one. I've shopped around, and it's truly the best iPod case for your money. :cool:

(And no, I'm not getting anything from Marware for shamelessly promoting their products! Perhaps I should...)

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hemingray, I have to agree that for protection that case is AWESOME!!!:D

The thing I like about the podpac is that it allows you to show off the iPod, but you are right about the other one for protection.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Very true about showing it off! In all honesty I did consider the PodPac when searching for protection for my iPod. But by the time I did search for a case, my iPod had already been scratched several times!

I figured if that thing is so easily scratched, to stop any future scratches I needed something very soft, which is why I went straight for the Marware one... oh, and shortly afterwards, a piece of the headphone jack cracked and broke off, so I sent it in and got a brand new iPod anyway! So it's all good now. :)

Oh, and a word of advice: NEVER read the newspaper and then handle the scroll wheel on your iPod! That ink is not easy to get off. Another mistake I made: tried to get rid of the ink with a #2 pencil eraser! It left permanent scratches in the scroll wheel! Use a cleaning solvent on a soft cloth instead.

Okay, enough with my mistakes. :rolleyes:

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

go for it

In my opinion, either iPod is worth the money they cost. I picked up the 5GB iPod about a month ago and have yet to fill it up. I have almost 650 tunes on it, and love having my entire cd collection in my pocket. I will be getting a protector for it soon, but haven't really decided on one. I am also considering getting the FM transmitter, but need to check on how they work a bit more. If you have the extra scratch, get the larger one. If not, get the 5GB version and just modify the cd's/songs you have on it as you want. That is one of the great things about the iPod, change your iTunes playlist, plug in the iPod and it updates to reflect those changes.

10. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

You'll love it!

Simple as that.... The iPod is the first and only portable music player I have ever used (over a period of time). I've had walkmans, discmans, portable MD discmans and other types of MP3 player, but the iPod beats them all. I'm really in love with it. And it has that nice Apple logo on the back...

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

12. arothman macrumors newbie

If I could use it as a data drive to bring files from my home Mac to my office PC, it might be worth it, but just for music it's *way* overpriced. I could buy a lot of pro audio gear for that price that'd be of much more use to me.

Drew

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Drew, you can use it to transfer data files between you PC and you Mac. There is a third party software that allows you to connect it to your PC. I use it to store files, mp3's, even OS X.1.3! Just for fun, I will boot to it from time to time. :D

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Quite a price tag!

Best price for me in the UK from a good, reliable Apple reseller: £428.87 !
    http://cwonline.co.uk (Very good store)

Gonna have to think about it! :eek:

How much are they for any of you guys in the states?

15. Timothy macrumors 6502

Any 10gig orders?

I'll ask again...has anyone ordered a 10gig unit?

I remember when the iPod was first released, there were several here who had ordered the iPod within hours of the release. I've yet to see anyone say "I ordered a 10gig iPod."

I think we were all stretching, but able to justify the 5gig at $399. Jumping to $499 ($500) for the 10 gig was tempting, but I think Apple crossed a perceived price point with this...

But, perhaps I'm wrong. It may be that there a tons of 10 gig sales going on. If so, I expect someone here to have placed an order for one...are you out there?

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I hope to next week, but man, this Apple kit ain't cheap!
    I'll be paying off my new G4 for the next 6 months, where will it all end!?!?! :D

17. Timothy macrumors 6502

No takers...yet?

So...nobody on the site has yet to buy a 10gig iPod? This certainly can't bode well for the iPod.

Perhaps in Apple's testing of the waters for digital devices, they have just crossed the threshold.

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ordered!

WEY-HEY!

I've just ordered my 10Gb iPod from the Apple UK store, anyone else ordered / got one yet?

19. spuncan macrumors 6502

Extreme Mac

Myself I like the Extreme Mac case available from most Apple product resellers. I've seen it and it allows great usage and actual protction against bumps and falls. Im ordering my 10 gig as soon as being approved by my parents. I hate being under 18 :( . I've seen it and it is so sweet its just like iTunes or iPhoto, its not some super duper gizmo that connects w/ ur brain its just a gizmo done better then any one else can. But I recomend u get the one best suited to u. If u only have a gig of ur favorite mp3's then buy the 5gig model. I have quite a few (not trying to brag) so the 10 gig is gfood for me. (If only the had made one w/ the 20 gig model of the HD) :)

20. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

21. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

I LOVE my 10gb iPod!!!

Although I lusted for an iPod since October, the price seemed outrageous for a walkman. Then, a nice fat tax refund showed up at my door. I banked most of it, but my one indulgence was a 10gb iPod.

This is the coolest thing I have ever owned, and I do not regret one penny of the admittedly steep price. If you are really into music it's just amazing. It has changed my perception of music. Now I always have a huge selection of music with me wherever I go. This sounds simple but really does feel like some kind of paradigm shift (sorry I hate buzzwords too).

Just my $.02 (about all you have left after making the purchase)

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's here!

FANTASTIC! It finally got here! And I like all other owners of the iPod love it.
    Has anyone else ordered they're 10Gb yet?

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Your verdict - 10Gb iPod ?

urm sorry, cant delete this... got confused by your signature but didnt realize the thread was old, sorry

pnw

24. macaddict123k macrumors member

i would to get a 10 gb ipod, i t would really halp with holding info and songs. The ipod is a very neat gadget and i just played with it at the apple store

25. Macette macrumors 6502

Oooh, I know, horrible. But I tried spit, and it seemed to do the trick... but maybe I have been drinking too much solvent?

And can I just add nothing whatsoever to this thread by saying that the 10gig ipod is simply the best thing i have ever owned? my nightmares these days mostly feature the ipod being stolen or broken. i know, i'm sick. but i'm in love.