Your VOTE does count!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DakotaGuy, Nov 6, 2002.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

There was a good example of how much it matters if you vote.

In my home state of South Dakota there was a lot of national media attention on our US Senate race. Yes I was sad to see our own Tom Daschle get knocked from his majority leader slot, but with all the bad news on election night this morning we found out the final tally for our senate race was....

TOTAL
    VOTES %
    U S SENATE
    (L) EVANS KURT 3071 1
    (D) JOHNSON TIM 167477 50 +528
    (R) THUNE JOHN 166949 49

Not bad considering Johnson was considered the most endangered Democrat just a couple of months ago. The ones that they thought would win easily like in Georgia lost. Just goes to show you never know. With a 528 vote difference there will probably be a recount, but in SD there is never much change in a recount since we use pencil and paper scan-tron ballots. They tend to be very accurate.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, 2000 & 2002 make a great case! The American people spoke loudly, Affirming the 2000 election of President Bush. They want lower taxes, homeland security, Medicare fixed, & Social Security fixed! :)

3. Quark macrumors regular

SWEET!:D

Finally, someone that clearly has some common sense. No offense to those that don't.

Quark

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I just wanted to post this so that I could be immortalized amongst the comments of the brilliant geniuses who have posted thus far. Thanks

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

south dakota was recounted and is still too close to call...dems still have the lead but by 527 votes

first count showed a lead of 550 but the lead was narrowed by the absentee votes which helped the GOP

but human error can account for the 527 vote democratic lead and who knows, after a third count, south dakota could go GOP

unfortunately, the presidential election is electoral and not popular like the senate and house races where our vote literally puts the person in office

6. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Let's see...

Well no conservative can blame a Democrat for anything that goes wrong now. It's all on your shoulders. But not to worry, it will not stay GOP forever. The Dems will still be a fighting force and when things go wrong they can point a finger, but no Republican can point one back. No matter what political beliefs you hold, you still must admit the love of democracy and two sides to every issue. I hope we don't loose that.

Whether it be Democrats with total control or Republicans, I just never liked the idea of an agenda going through without any checks and balances. If you like that idea, then you should not live in this country. There are countries where only one side has the total say and I hope we never end up like that.

So as it was a loss for my party, I am still very happy that my vote helped put a good man like Tim Johnson back in for another 6 and I have someone there to keep the Republicans in check.

7. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Oh it should be noted....

Even you hard-core conservatives have to like one fact about Tim Johnson. He is the only senator in the US Senate that runs his office completely on Macs. Maybe that helped on those few undecided in the end! ;o) Of course, I am sure for him the best news for him more so then the news of his razor-thin victory was the news of the new Powerbooks and iBooks today!

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Oh it should be noted....

how is the senate race going?

are the dems still up with 527 in the second count?

i hope the dems win that race in south dakota

and also win louisiana, too

but the GOP still has that magic number of 51 and that won't change...hey, i have an idea...make PR, samoa, and us virgin islands states...that may help the dems take the senate back;)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My main goal is that the Constituiton is followed. Not try to add or subtract from the wisdom of our founding fathers. :)

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

exactly...

That's what I keep telling friends & such, but their take on it is "politics is boring" or "I just don't care." Fine...if u don't want to have your hand in putting the person in charge of what happens in your state, then don't vote...but don't bitch when unfavorable things happen.

Just by votes...there's a runoff now in Louisiana. Hopefully, we'll be seeing someone new moving into the Senate slot. :D ;)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

as long as we have moderates in office from one party or the other, we are safe

someone like farrakan or rush would burn the constitution in a second since both believe in a small, elite group running us all...whether far left or far right, they are both tin horn dictators enjoying the us because of our freedom of speech

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sometimes a republican or democrat want to make a small change in federal law or state law, and that's ok...we are always in changing times

but when someone like ultra right wing buchannan with his ultra left wing running mate want to come in, sweeping changes are what they are calling for using some of the isolationist ideas from him and some of the marxist ideas from her

those sweeping changes would effectively burn our constitution or rewrite it to the point where we would be no different than castro and his regime

13. diorio macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the people that are too lazy to vote. They live in the country, are affected by its laws, and yet they can't mail in their registration or take their lunch break to go cast their vote. Yet these people bitch about things as much as the rest of us. One would think that these people would learn and try to change something they found unfavorable instead of whine and hope that someone else changes it for them.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The majority of voters are in the middle. The exteme on the left or right could do alot of damage. Our recent President's have governed from the middle! :)

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i agree with that

since i can remember, president johnson and later, they have all ruled from the middle or close to it

now someone like buchannan would be to the right of the middle by a large margin or jesse jackson would be to the left of the middle by a large margin

but as it stands, candidates like jackson and buchannan never really have stood a chance at winning the whole thing

16. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Re: Re: Oh it should be noted....

The canvassing boards are meeting in the counties right now to certify the results and will send them on to the state for the results to be double checked and certified. So far most of the major counties have met and canvassed been and the media reports the results are holding to the number. Next Tuesday the race will be certified then Thune has the right for a recount. He said if the canvassing has been done and everything checks out, he will not ask for a recount.

We have heard however national groups have came into South Dakota to try and do their own investigation. They are not going to find anything here. Some conservative groups are very upset that the Democrats have worked their butt off to improve turn out on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. There was some problem with possible voter registration fraud, but they have the women that was behind it, and everything was cleaned up before the election. The FBI monitored all the counties in question. One person, one vote. Johnson won.

I hate these groups that come into South Dakota, they don't even know what they are talking about. They wrote on a website that they thought something fishy was going on because the votes from Shannon County were hauled to Fall River County and counted by the Fall River auditor. Why were the votes not counted by the Shannon County auditor??? That is their main concern. Well DUH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH thing as the Shannon Co. auditor, heck there is no courthouse in Shannon Co., because it like two other reservation counties in this state are unorganized and all the business for the county is handled in the adjacent county. Stay out of our state and our election. Our Attorney General, a Republican, was quoted in say the election went well and there were no complaints voiced over anything. The Republicans got the Senate fair and square and Tim Johnson won fair and square. I just never can figure out why Republicans try and keep the minority groups like the Native Americans so repressed.

17. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It won't happen. Our recounts have never in the state history caused a change of more then + or - 20 or so votes, unless there was a Florida fiasco, but we have rules on how all the ballots are counted. About 85% of our ballots are Optical Scan, which are very accurate. A couple of counties use the infamous punch cards and a couple very small ones use old fashioned, count by hand, pencil and paper ballots.

There will be no third count unless it went to court and if John Thune wants a chance to dual with Daschle in a couple of years, he probably does not want to pull a Gore-like trick in the state. That would tarnish him.

18. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i try not to worry too much about who wins outside my own voting territory. I have my political views and I try to find those that most closely follow them. voting is such a great thing. i take pride in it. i hope all of you voted who were able to

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The Democrat party is playing the blame game. Shannon O'Brien" I lost because of the national Republican wave" They lost becaue of their message. According to exit polls done 11/5/02, the time item on voters minds was the economy. Realize the Democrats are the party of the poor, non- English speaking, & pro aborption. Their message is not resonating with the majority, working Americans. Denese DaSouza "Liberalism is brain dead"
    Not selling at home with taxes etc.

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: Let's see...

Although the republicans may have the majority, that doesn't mean that there aren't any checks and balances. Things that the government do may seem much more conservative, but that's only because there isn't as much liberal opposition now. There are still checks and balances, and they should work, no matter who is in office or in congress. And as far as countries where one side has total say, that's only because their people can't vote like we can here.

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I agree that the Democrats lost because of their message. They are a sad, disjointed, corrupt party. This time around it appears the Republicans were just as sad and corrupt, although less disjointed.

I think the Democrats' problem is that they don't know who they're the party of. It's hard to represent non-English speakers when said people aren't US citizens and can't vote. I disagree that liberalism is brain dead. The Democratic Party is brain dead, yes, but even many "far" left-wing Democrats - save Feingold and the now-dead Wellstone - are nothing but pathetic compromisers who haven't got the guts to stand up for true progressivism. The Dems in particular have been doing a particularly terrific job lately of having no idea what the hell they stand for, and this has just cost them big time.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think nancy pelosi (d) will lead the democrats into a progressive revolution since we have one every ten years or so...it's a swinging pendulum that has never failed us since the days of jefferson

in my life it was the dems with kennedy and johnson, then the GOP with nixon and ford, a brief reprise of carter and the democrats, then reagan and bush, clinton for two terms, and now we have the pendulum on the side of W

by 2004 or 2008, the dems will get the momentum and hold it for awhile...and then like things have been for 200 years in america, the GOP will once again have their day in the sun

23. diorio macrumors 6502a

Politics is a game that will always be the same. The republicans will control the country for 8-10 years, the country will get sick of them and vote democrat. The dems will hold the country for about 8-10 years and switch with the republicans. This way, no party is in control of the country long enough to radically change it. Checks and balances (kind of).