Your watch personality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JesseJames, Dec 7, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I've heard that the kind of watch you wear is a good indicator of your
    It kind of makes sense I guess. Though I do think it's definitely more art than science.
    For the record, I wear a Swiss Army watch, dull stainless steel with a black face and subdued numbers. Best watch I've ever owned.
    I use to wear Timex but they ALL konked out on me. Never again.
    I spent the C-note on the Swiss Army and never looked back. I've had the battery replaced once at the jewelry store and that's it. Beautiful.
    It's been said that this type of watch says you are rugged, practical, honest and straightforward, and a little bit mysterious.
  2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I don't wear a watch. Actually, a few months ago, I stopped wearing a watch. I guess that fits me as well, because time isn't everything to me. I have a clock on my computer and a clock in my car, and my alarm clock. That tells me everything I need to know as far as time is concerned.

I guess I'm just laid back enough, and I don't really want to rush through life. I used to wear a watch, and I'd always look at it to see what time it was, especially in church (instead of really listening). I figure that if I am where I need to be, that's all that matters.
  3. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    I gave up on the watch. One less thing to keep track of. At work I have a stupid pager which tells time, and often have my cell phone,,, too many devices with time on them!

So what kind of watch personality ditches the device all together?
  4. john_satc macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2005
    B'ham Uk
    Never used to where watches then found a DKNY one i feel in love with, and now it never leave my wrist.
  5. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    Oh no! :eek: No watch=No personality

But seriously I don't wear one either (I do own 2 though, but they haven't seen the light of day in over a year, and even then it was for special occasions). Currently I just wear a woven surfer type bracelet in place, but I've been looking into maybe getting a nice watch since I've never owned one that was over like 75$. So many choices though. :p

Is there like a website or something that gives you these type of quotes or something? Like plug in your watch and get your fortune? :cool:
  6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada

Plain n' simple. It was a present from a couple of years ago. I like it because it's Kinetic - so I don't need to worry about batteries.
  7. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    I use to wear an ESQ i stopped wearing a watch a few years ago ... my cellphone tells time when i REALLY need to know
  8. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
  9. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I heard this on a TV show.
    I did a web search and haven't really found a good website for it though.
    But using common sense I'd say if you wear an expensive jeweled designer watch, you are flamboyant, egotistical, gregarious, a bit naive perhaps.
    A spartan watch with little if anything for decoration might mean you are, pragmatic, hardheaded, your way or the highway, and maybe a bit mean.
    A colorful toy-like watch, (say like a child might wear) probably says that you are artistic, playful, a bit absentminded, don't take yourself too seriously, takes more of a 'whatever dude' attitude towards life.
  10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I used to wear a Tag Heuer that I got in Chinatown for $6 (the guy originally wanted $8). It kept pretty good time for about 4 months. I haven't found a replacement for a while, but I think I might invest in a good watch this time around. My opinion is that you should go for a really good watch to last you forever or a really cheap one that you don't care about.

Does this mean I'm cheap?
  11. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I dont use a watch anymore, i have a mobil phone which is with me nearly all day and i just use that.
  12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I like to confuse anyone who asks me the time :D :p

13. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    My watch is somewhere between 2-3 - I bought it because it was big and easy to read (it's an older Fossil from their "World Traveler" series), but has a really cool map of the globe under the hands, and the hands glow in the dark. And, I tricked it out with a neato leather band I bought at an arts fair. OK, so I'm closer to number three, especially if you saw what I've done with jean jackets and sweatshirts. But I'm not absent-minded!

Wait a minute, what were we talking about?:p
  14. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I guess I have a split personality. Some days I wear my heart rate monitor watch, just because it's casual and waterproof.

Usually to work I wear a Skagen watch I received as a Valentine's Day gift from my wife.

Cool watch. I can't see which dots are lit up on the top, but it's pretty obvious how it works. Of course, it would confuse me every time I went to look for the time, though.
  15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    I have a few different ones, I pick which to wear based on outfit/what i'm in the mood for...
  16. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    a simulacrum
    casio g-shock
    the toughest mofo out there
    has been through special forces training
    been thrown at walls
    been totally molested just for the fun of it
    nothing but a few scratches
    g-shock rocks!!!
  17. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005
    I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years. I have a bad habit of "lagging", weraing a watch would only remind me just how late I am. Now I carry 2 cell phones, one laptop, and one PDA- they all keep pretty good time (when I look). I used to have a Rolex, but it couldn't keep time at all- so I switched to a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle watch (%1000 cheaper)- and it kept time purfectly. Gave that up when I turned 18, haven't worn a watch since then.
  18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    What about those of us who carry pocketwatches?
  19. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I get an incredible amount of spam about fake rolexes (only on my work PC of course; thunderbird at home on my mac clears that out); maybe I should get one of those.

I have worn a watch every day of my life since I was a small child; my seiko quartz with my college emblem that I have had for 15 years fried in September. It was in the shop for two months and I wore a $15 walmart digital. I got it out of the shop and it broke again so I took it back to the shop; now I havent worn a watch in a week for the first time in my memory. I'm using my treo for the time.
  20. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    These "watch" threads seem to turn up about once a year :rolleyes:

History time!
    I got my first watch when I was 13 (1996), it was a black digital Casio. It lasted 4 years then the strap broke.
    In 2000 while in Indonesia I bought a G-Shock clone for $5, it lasted about 2 years before the strap broke off. For the few months leading up to Christmas the thing was stuck back together with tape :p
    For Christmas 2002 I got a real G-Shock, and it's still going strong :)

21. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Same here.
  22. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    edesigunk that is beautiful.

I just realized I own a watch - but don't use it (so if watch = personality, yes I don't use mine....). It's an old timey pocket watch with a note engraved from an ex, perhaps that's what turned me off watches.
  23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I have 4 watches.

Attached Files:

24. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    This watch is fairly similar to mine...but mine is not the stitched leather and has 2 dull white stripes in the leather......
    but mine has an all black leather band and all brown leather band as extras.

Attached Files: