Your worst job

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's the worst paying job you ever had?

Mine was my first job, tending the lawn of a neighbor. I rode there on my bike, mowed the lawn, and tried to water everything. But I had no idea how much water anything required, and rather than teach me anything, they fired me for doing a bad job. Not much of a start for my resumé. Luckily, I went into computer science instead of gardening.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

When I was a freshman at Carnegie Mellon I worked in the dining service. All I did was slice various meats on a meat slicer into 2.25 oz. sandwich-size portions in four hour shifts. (Perhaps this job contributed to my decision to stop eating meat.) The job did have its highlights though, like my semi-insane coworker who never went anywhere in Pittsburgh without a large butcher's knife he had tucked into a holster beneath his armpit. He was really into martial arts too, and we had many odd conversations on the loading dock. And I used to sneak off to the bathroom for hours and read Kurt Vonnegut books.

On the downside, I did slice off a bit of my right thumb one day while slicing turkey.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

miloblithe, I found your thumbpiece in my sandwich last week. Tasted like chicken. :D

Anyway, the worst job I had was working in an electroplate factory. We would take these car parts, (big, little, whatever) and have to put them on this overhead conveyer by hand. It wasn't so bad when the parts were going in, but when they were done, they were so hot they could blister your hands. They supplied gloves, but they were all torn up and worn out. Oh BTW, the job was a temp job, and I made 3.35 an hour doing it.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Funny you mention it... I cut off the tip of my left middle finger slicing potatoes in a vegetable slicer... and that wasn't even my worst job!

The worst job I ever had was definitely a paper route in fourth grade. It was the local, "neighborhood" paper, and we were required to deliver it to every house, whether they wanted it or not. We had to pay $30 per month for the papers, but the "customers" were not required to pay. So we had to go around collecting, basically begging for money, and we made nothing at all until at least 30 customers took pity on us and gave us the measly $1/month subscription fee. Usually I think I ended up making $10 or $15 a month for a 150-paper weekly route.

5. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

I used to work for safeways, as the bread boi (supermarket here) and was in from 3am till midday - not a bad shift, but i'd go out the nite before, crash at a mate's for two hours, and then go to work - absolute killer!

Although, i used to get a free cooked breakfast ;)

Jee

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's terrible. I had one of those paper routes for a local paper in 4th-6th grades, but they did at least pay me. I got $10 every two weeks, which was how often the paper was circulated. That job was OK. In the end it sounds like we made about the same amount, but the time/effort/and frustration of asking people for your wages makes that sound pretty awful, and something like a scam (on the part of the paper).

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

College Pro Painters...
    Painting houses ain't the worst, but my boss was a complete idiot, made the summer nearly unbearable.

9. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Worst paying job I've ever had? Working on the parts counter at the local Land Rover dealership. I got the job when I was fourteen and was paid the vast sum of £40 a week for 6 weeks during my summer vacation. It worked out at about £1.10 an hour.

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I worked there for almost 4 years. When I quit, I was a second assistant manager, after starting out part time as a crew member. I also met my wife there, and a couple of close friends, whom I've known for close to 17 years. So it wasn't too bad for me.

11. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Working at a minor league baseball stadium in my town for $5.50 an hour. My boss was a huge (literally and figuratively) bitch, I was hired as a cashier where there was opportunity for tips, and was promptly assigned to food prep and clean up, where everyone else was paid 6.00 an hour because that was what the pay was for those jobs. My manager was an ****** who seemed to find the most pointless jobs for me to perform if he thought I wasn't working really hard at something else (for example, once he had me moving all the hotdogs off one roller to the other so I could clean the first (in the middle of a game), even though part of my clean-up at the end of the night was to clean the rollers...). Also, it was supposed to work that different people would clean up each night, but it was always me and one other kid. Half of my co-workers were nuts, particularly this one skanky girl that wanted to hook up with me....I would have too, if she hadn't let slip the number of guys she was currently sleeping with.

That job sucked.

12. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

skanky girls are the best
    they make most crap jobs worth it and they are usually truly good and interesting people

my worst job was working at toys r us as a seasonal employee during christmas rush from october through mid january
    I was a junior in high school
    and most days I would leave school and work from 4 to 12 which was actually 1 am because of "re-shop" (restocking the shelves)
    the majority of the people there who weren't seasonal were *******s or creepy
    I was semi fired in the middle of january (really laid off a week early)
    for refusing to clean up a crappy (literally) quarter ride at the front of the store that some kids diaper had leaked onto

best crappy job was changing tires at sams club
    I had work to keep busy
    a physical product which allowed for a visible result when I had finished a job
    and I got to spend all day hitting on unappreciated soccer moms

13. zamyatin macrumors regular

Worst paid?

When the Boy Scouts were trying to raise money for a trip to New Mexico, the troop took on a job at the French Fry Pit at the County Fair. Six days, ten hours of work per day, and each of us got paid $80. One of my friends noticed the scoutmaster swiping twenty dollar bills from the register! Maybe that's where all our wages ended up.

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I think any job has its downside. Of course there are some truly crappy jobs out there.
    In my opinion it's the people you work with that get you through the day. If you can get along with them then it just makes the day go by that much faster.
    If you work with a bunch of knuckledraggers, meatheads, or a-holes (petty or otherwise); then God help you.

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

framing houses... summer job about 4 years back now...

16. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

Bagging Groceries at the Supermarket when I was 16. The pay wasn't that bad ($6.40/hr) but after taxes and union dues it was ($4.60/hr). Min. Wage is $5.15/hr. It was the same boring, repetive action for 8 hours at a time. All you do is pick the food off the belt put it in a bag and put the bag in a cart. I stuck with the job for about 6 months and made enough money to buy my iMac G4 15in.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Terrible bosses are really the key to any bad job. Of course, they seem to gravitate to certain professions, like restaurant management. I'd like to think that when I was a restaurant manager, I broke the mold and was a great boss, but somehow, I imagine an objective analysis would reveal my dark side.

Bad job #2: Writing software manuals for proprietary software development.

"Click on the 'OK' button when done."

Manuals. I hate readin' 'em. I hated writin' 'em.

18. timmyOtool macrumors member

I have had many craptastic jobs. In fact, most all of the jobs I have had were really bad, until recently. Lets see, MCI telemarketing. Man talk about a bad day, cheese dick supervisors that are way to energitic, angry people who always seem to be "just sitting down to dinner" when I called, and oh yea most of my co-workers were crack-heads (literally). I hope the no call list puts the kiebosh on thier little operation. :D

19. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

It's a toss up between the tedious 8 hour days of building up digital switcher units and Linux server computers (and it wasn't doing cool stuff with the computers, it was soldering, crimping and installing fans) or doing fast food at a baseball and basketball stadium.

My 2 days at Sizzler wasn't all that great either.

20. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

I know your pain. For 3 lousy months I worked as a tele-surveyor, under the same smiley-glad hands who give you impossible quotas to fill. From politics to Jiffy Lube satisfaction surveys, it blew. Especially since you had to have the same damn energetic voice throughout every survey, and you do each one so many times you can recite the survey 5 months after you quit.

Here's a tip. After they monitor and grade your call, they make you sign that little paper, right? After that you KNOW they wont monitor any more calls for the day, so if you get one pissed off guy at the other end of the line like I normally am w/ telemarketers, feel free to telll him off. And by tell him off I mean REALLY tell him off. After all, the company uses a false name and blocks caller ID... :D

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I roofed my house for $10.00/hour this past summer, which doesn't seem all that bad, but when it is 108° on your hot metal Texan roof, and you are hoisting up large, heavy pieces of metal it is enough to make anyone want to commit suicide (which wouldn't be too hard up on a roof).

So that is my worst working experience.

scem0

22. macka macrumors regular

Burger King, when I was 14 and 7 months old (legal age to start working is 14 and 9 months over here).

I got paid $AU 4.81/hour. :eek:
    Working conditions were horrible
    Managers were a bitch
    Customers were worse
    Burnt myself on the fry rack twice, nice scar on my right arm.

I quit seven months into the job...

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My worst job is my latest--none.

I'd be glad to work again at McDonald's or Rax or another fast food place or a department store or another of the jobs I had from high school through Uni.

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Worst job or jobs? :rolleyes:

Started by being a bagger at a supermarket for $4.25 an hour. That was just boring -and I remember forgetting to give people some of their groceries. I remember my shift ending and seeing unclaimed bags of groceries laying around. oOpS :D

Then I worked for Au Bon Pain (anyone from Boston should know them.) Washed dishes for 6 hours a day and was forced to clean the bathrooms because everyone else refused :mad: used to loot the food rack at the end of my shift there...

Third job was working for CVS (also a Boston thing.) First day on the job, female shift supervisor says to me "I'll tell you when I'm having my period, ok?" Uhh...
    She used to sit up in the office smoking cigarettes and invite all her friends over while I was slaving away.

Then I worked for a famous old museum down by the water front (won't mention the name.) That was so fricked I just won't go into it ...

Maybe it'd be better to ask me which of my jobs so far hasn't sucked

25. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

skanky girls are one thing, dirty, STD ridden white trash is another (when she brought me to her house :eek: :eek: .......also, she had a dangerous propensity for kneeing people in the nuts. She didn't make work fun, she made it scary.