your WoW experiences

Discussion in 'Games' started by kilpajr, Nov 9, 2004.

1. kilpajr macrumors regular

I finally finished downloading earlier. I sat up at school on the wireless connection which let me download at 100 - 150kBps. I was only getting about 30kBps on my 3Mb DSL connection.

Anyway, I just started playing tonight. This is a very fun game once you figure things out. Here are some things I figured out (this is coming from an RPG newbie, I usually play RTS games): You can sell all of the seemingly worthless stuff you get from the creatures you kill. You need to find the trainer for your class to be able to get special abilities. You can also find people in the town to buy armor and weapons from.

I do have a few questions, though:
    1. Is there an easy way to find NPC's that you are looking for?
    2. Can you view a better map than just the one at the top right corner of the screen and the world map? I would like to see a detailed view of the town and where I am at.
    3. How do you view your frames per second? I tried using control-r, which I think someone suggested, but I did not see it.

2. Barham macrumors regular

1. Not really. Some of the bigger towns have signs that tell you where certain classes should go, but for the most part you have to find them yourself and just remember where they are.

Oh, not all towns have every type of npc. You have to go to bigger towns for crafting and such.

2. That's the only map that you get. If I recall, though, the mini map show buildings and stuff. There might be a resource like that on a website somewhere. Try googling it.

3. It is ctrl+r. Make sure you're not doing apple+r. The fps will show up right in the middle of the screen at the top of the experience bar.

I don't suggest checking your fps if you're on a Mac. It's kind of depressing. I'd just tune the settings to where you think it looks smoothest and wait for Blizzard and Apple to come together better on drivers.

Also, try GameOptimizer at MacUpdate.com. That can smooth things out quite a bit.

-Hasta

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ugh, depressing since my campus limits bandwidth. Never gets over 20KB/s on the download.

4. Fezwick macrumors 6502

In the bigger cities (Thunder Bluff, The Undercity, etc.) the world map zooms in so you can get a layout of the city. In the smaller towns you are stuck with the mini-map and the big world map.

5. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Im not sure wether to be happy or not, but im getting 20-40 FPS on my Mac. Dual 867 G4, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9700. its playable, and looks nice, I just cant crank it. lag is a bigger problem than detail.

6. shortyjj macrumors regular

I'd like to be playing, lord knows I spent TWO DAYS downloading the client, and now it says that the open beta signup has been closed?

If this is right, I'll no longer be purchasing the game.

I know that they don't owe anybody anything, that the open beta is a bonus, but to put me through that trouble and let me install it just to say "sorry, no can do, but make sure you give us your $120 come Nov. 23" is just ******.

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i'm still downloading it. it's insane!!! i'm just glad i created an account before they closed it. now if only this download would finish!!!!!! :(

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

If it makes you feel any better their servers have been down for 5 hours now, so even people who have completed the download can't play.

9. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I am having a hard time playing it since I am still downloading it. Does anyone know of a way to avoid download rates of between 0 and 20 (more often 0)? I'm on a school network, but I opened up the necessary ports that are supposed to speed up the download. Is there anything else I can do?

10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Doh, I was hoping to play when I got home this evening, so they are still down?

11. shortyjj macrumors regular

Actually, that doesn't make me feel any better. Thanks for trying tho.

12. bertinman macrumors 6502

yes. if you need them for a current quest they show up as a dot on the mini map. otherwise ask a guard and they will put a flag on your map for well known npcs

you can zoom in and out, and try the "m" key to get a fullscreen map

13. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

As of about 5 minutes ago, yes the servers are still down. Hopefully they will came back soon, since the estimated down time was only 3 hours, and now they've been down for 5.

I don't know if FilePlanet is still hosting the file now that open beta signups have closed, but I got the whole install from them in about 7-8 hours. The actual download took only about 2-2.5 hours, but I had to wait in line for about 5 hours before I could start the download.

I was downloading from BitTorrent and FilePlanet at the same time, too, trying to get the game downloaded as quickly as possible. Both downloads finished after I went to sleep last night, so I've actually downloaded the whole 2.5GB twice. BTW, some people reported problems downloading a file over 2GB in their browser, but I can confirm that you will have no problems using Safari.

I gave up on Blizzard's version of BitTorrent very quicky, so if FilePlanet or another torrent are options for you, I recommend taking advantage of them.

edit: I just took a look on FilePlanet. The download is still available from them, and their servers currently only have about a 70 minute wait time. That means you should be able to get the whole file in only 3-4 hours, depending on your bandwith. Free registration is required to download from FilePlanet.

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Nobody put you through anything, you decided to download and install before you had an account, who's fault is that? :rolleyes: Blizzard? I did the opposite. :D As far as WOW, it was great. It was my first mmorpg, I'm a big rts fan also. I was up till about 4:30 in the morning before my brothers PC decided to restart mid game. :eek: :confused: Customizing your character could be a hell of alot more deeper. unless i'm missing something, there's only 1 outfit for each class? You can't change the color of the outfit? About 10 faces for each class. the whole creation process is kinda lame. not exactly what I call variety. My brother plays city of heroes and the creation process is so much deeper, you will never see the same costume. As soon as I logged in all I saw was clones. That was my only complaint. So far it's was a great experience for me, gonna put a few more days under my belt to see if I'll get tired of the game. So far it looks like i'll be buying come Nov. 23

15. Fezwick macrumors 6502

If anyone is still downloading (really slow I might add) then try this link. Not sure if it will work at all, but give it a shot.

I hate to see my Mac brothers suffer. :)

16. cazlar macrumors 6502

I gave up on the torrent and started getting it from fileplanet. So far I've got 1/3 of it but had to stop it to head to work. Anyone know if I'll have any problem resuming the DL?

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I stopped and resumed the FilePlanet download several times.

18. kilpajr thread starter macrumors regular

I tried asking a guard to find the NPC but apparently I was doing something wrong. How do you ask them where an NPC is?

19. kilpajr thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to sign up at fileplanet when the open beta first came out. It did not work correctly and I had made the same decision: if I am not able to try the game for free, I am not going to buy it. I realize that Blizzard does not have unlimited servers and bandwidth but it would be nice if they let more people in in stages so those who couldn't get in at the beginning would still have a chance to try the game.

I did get into the open beta (I signed up at Blizzard as soon as I saw that keys were available). I am pretty sure I am going to buy the game now. I really want the Collector's Edition but that is alot of money. After I play longer, I probably won't want to give it up and will end up buying it.

20. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

My observations so far, having started three characters because of the rest limitations:

1) People are far from being above kill stealing and looting what you've already weakened. This is an especially big problem in the smaller areas that are intended for lower levels, or was where I started, and the only thing that it seems you can do about it is to grin and bear it.

2) Grouping together cuts experience deeply but makes it far easier to survive tougher encounters, especially if you have complementary classes. So far, I've only taken part in two and three member groups made up of good friends I already knew, and we deliberately played the same race to limit the problems with linking up. If you're really looking to level up quicker, stick to encounters that are near your level and solo them.

3) Do quests. They're generally going to be in the places you'd hunt anyways, and you can kill while you're pursuing the goals. I can't swear to the ones for other races, but the Night Elf starting quests end up giving you equipment that's equal to the higher level stuff you can buy when first starting out, with the addition of having it bonded to you. I didn't do this on my first character, and I probably could have saved a tidy bit of cash if I had.

4) Buy every ability you can. The added flexibility and enhanced ability to function when fighting is worth every cent, especially if you're a magic user and can't just slog your way through. A well-coordinated use of your abilities will let you hunt higher level mobs, getting more experience and better loot.

5) Don't try to fight more than one opponent, especially not when you first start out. The level balance seems to be pretty consistent and correct.

21. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I'll let you use my open beta account. I'm done with WOW for now. I PM'd u too.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just had an annoying experience:

A guy ran up to me and started attacking. I tried to attack him back, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Then I realised that his attacks weren't hurting me! I ran away, and I could see him standing on the other side of the hill, still going slash-slash-slash, and my character was still crying out in pain whenever he slashed :confused:

After about a minute of this, I got 'connection interrupted' then instantly died. :mad:

Edit: When loading the game back up later, it gave me a 'bonus' - I was trying to get 8 bunches of grapes, and I'd only picked up 1, but when I reloaded the game I had 2 :D

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm sure they'll add more customization to the final game.

24. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Can't imagine putting myself through hours (20 hrs for me) of downloading when I wasn't sure that I would even be able to play the game. There is going to be some kind of system where you can get a free 10 day trial if you're referred by a friend or something...so maybe you can take advantage of that.

Having played other MMORPGs, I can say that WoW LOOKS really nice, but I'm not sure that it's anything special. Of course, my highest level character is 7 or something like that...so I'm still a newb. My complaint has to do with lvl-matching. I've played a hunter, warlock, and a paladin, and consistently attacking mobs at my level, or 1 above, never have I come close to death, except when a kobold called to his buddy. In fact, I've never even gotten to 1/2 life. It just seems a bit easy at the moment...

25. shortyjj macrumors regular

You've re-affirmed my faith in humanity. Hallelujah!