You're on your own...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sometimes we get so caught up in the day-to-day crap that we don't take a step back and look at our overall problems:

Some of this column is quite eloquent. I love that last paragraph. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of being pushed around by that damn invisible hand, and I'd trade some of that "energy in the air" for an assurance that I won't be eating cat food when I'm 65.

Nice column. Too bad we don't have any politicians who are brave enough to embrace an opinion like this.

Plain Dealer link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He kind of lost me on the obesity connection, but otherwise, an interesting piece.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I can go along with the idea about being on your own. I've pretty much always felt that way. And, 90+ percent of the time, I like it that way.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'm not particularly susceptible to advertising in general and TV ads in particular, so consumeritis isn't a problem. And I'm too cheapskate about buying new pants to eat much junk food. Maybe my individualism ties in with my, "Other folks' opinions don't run my life," attitude. Dunno. Once I got my BS meter tuned up pretty good, being fully on my own was not at all difficult. :)

I figure as long as outsiders don't define my reality, I'm ahead of the game.

'Rat

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's a good article, and he's right for the most part. My sister was on food stamps after divorcing her (1st) psychotic husband and had a child. She went to college while getting government support for living, food, childcare, etc, and she got out and got a job.

But there's those people who **** like rabbits and keep having children every couple of years to stay on welfare. Honestly, I believe that there's a huge impact on America as a nation from these people who keep having children, don't know how to get a job or don't get one out of laziness, and their children then suffer. Most of their children then become violent criminals, simply because their parents were abusive or not there altogether.

I know single mothers who work their asses off to stay above the waterline, and they are so strong and they love their children so much.

/rant

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We like our freedom and lower taxes, but sometimes it can cost us more than we realize. Sometimes we think we'd do better on our own or already are, but here's an old e-mail forward I got that I thought was relevant. Kinda fitting if you think about where we've been and where we seem to be heading:
    The government doesn't seem to have a problem telling me who I can and can't marry, but get sick or hurt and I'm on my own. People need laws, but businesses shouldn't apparently. Not saying liberals have all the answers, but I like my freedom and being able to count on the government to be there when it's supposed to. That's what it's there for.

Or supposed to be.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hrmpf. I offer you 6 billion to one odds against the definition of free trade...

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not to get OT, but I've never believed in the term "free" trade.

To me, the best trade is when all the barriers are down and all foreign companies are paying their workers the equivalent rate as a domestic worker. And that's fair trade.