You're using your computer WRONG, if you think the Control key is too far

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pizzach, Nov 9, 2005.

1. pizzach macrumors member

pizzach

If you think reaching for your control key to control click is too difficult of a feat for everyday use, then you are fundamentally using your Macintosh wrong. It's a strong statement, but it is true. Well, it's not a true as it was, but you are still missing out on a lot.

Mac OS X is a far shot from Mac OS 9, but a lot of things still hold true. I am a strong proponent of spatial. As of Mac OS X, Apple moved away from it for a more Microsoft Windows style browser-style navigation system. As a long time Mac user I have stuck with spatial and has been my last stronghold. Regardless of the odd bugs in Mac OS X that Apple still refuses to fix, I still consider it to be the best way to navigate a Macintosh. Especially with Mac OS X.

Mac OS X is a beautiful beast. It was designed well from the ground up and is an amazingly great switcher OS. Why? Because it's a lot more similar to Microsoft Windows than any previous operating system version they've concocted. From the browser view to how many more applications seem to interpret the zoom button as maximize. It was made to discard the largest obstacles keeping Windows users from using a Macintosh well. Do you feel it is a requirement to browse the web in full screen. If yes is your answer, I consider you an ex-Windows user. It's as simple as that. (I may give some leeway for a 15” screen users, but zoom would probably equal full screen in that case anyway.)

There are three keys lined up conveniently together. Command, Option, and Control. For Option alone your hand should already be ready on they keyboard. Why? Because unlike the “Windows key” it is mind blowingly powerful and useful. It is a modifier key that allows you to choose between closing all windows or only one, hide the foremost application, close [leave open] the previous window when navigating, maximize [zoom] a window, or even duplicate [move] a file. All of this is accomplish only by holding the option button while clicking or dragging different objects. This isn't even mentioning that many of the keyboard shortcuts accomplished with the command key can also do the some things with the option key.

Command is the Macintosh answer to the Ctrl key. As a user that detests aiming, it has quickly become my closest ally.

Try this
    1. Go to the Finder.
    2. Press Command-Shift-A
    3. Start typing Mail until it highlight.
    4.Press Command-Option-O

Or Try
    Option + click a window close button when a bunch of finder windows are open

Now try the same thing with Command-Option-W

Are you starting to get it now?

I actually don't use the dock to open up applications. It's too easy with the keyboard once you get used to it. Try option double clicking through a folder hierarchy. No trail of leftover windows in classic style spatial. If you closed all of the previous windows by hand with a mouse you have my pity. Mac OS X was made out of the box for you. And unfortunately, it wasn't made specifically for me.

I suppose for Apple to be able to keep it's image of being usable for the general masses, they had to change. Expose is a great examples of technologies that I really don't use because I already have fairly good alternatives and sometimes better. Expose is aim technology in which I had already previously stated I detest. I never really needed a scroll mouse either. But most people can't find the arrow keys or the page up/down keys.

So what are my plans? I'm working on becoming used to the command line. I can tell that Apple has depreciated spatial and I must find the future. Browser mode is a joke and Apple will probably throw out spatial by the time Mac OS 11 debuts. To wrap an overly long editorial up, if you think reaching for your control key to control click is too difficult of a feat for everyday use, then you are fundamentally using your Macintosh wrong.

Feel free to comment. ;)

EDIT: Changed Spacial to Spatial

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Do you hate color displays as well? Those B/W screens were great on the original Macintosh.

And Why the heck do they keep making hard drives bigger?!?!?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Why, when I can do the same by
    1. Pressing ctr-space (no matter what app is active)
    2. Start typing Mail (for this app M is enough)
    3. Hit enter or return

:rolleyes:

You got to love QuickSilver... :D

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uhh what? Seriosly where did this rant come from?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What is "spacial"?

6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

a possibility is when people says " macs sucks because they only have one button" and then if you say "you can use control key" and then they are like "that hard and dumb".

i have encountered many rants like this. however, pizzach has a good point.
    some people try to use macs the "windows and hard" way when there's an easy way just for macs around it.

for example. on microsoft word for mac, i don't highlight the text, then rightclick, then press cut, then press paste. instead, i just highlight, and hold on the highlighted text, and drag it to where i want! either the windows way or the mac way. :rolleyes:

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've been doing that in Word for Windows for years (and in other programs as well). Its not a Mac thing, its just a GUI thing.
    Is it me or is this thread just rubbish?

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Definitely not you. I can't find the point of this rant.

9. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Exactly which bit of surfing the internet on a 12" ibook without having safari in full screen is easy?

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm constantly amazed to see designers of 20+ years experience mouse to save a document, let alone to do anything else like minimise, hide, trash etc.

I'm a firm believer in the one-button mouse. My workflow is dependant on maybe 2 dozen or more keyboard shortcuts that rely on constantly having my fingers near those three keys.

If I lost my left hand in an accident, I feel it would seriously compromise my ability to do my job almost as much as losing my right hand.

*shudder*

Plays havoc with my nails though.

11. satans_banjo macrumors regular

you illustrate the point well

pizzach: if you like all this not-easy-to-use customisation then just get linux. mac is for people who like everything to be functional, solid and useful. not customisable

12. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Um, is it just me or does this not work? When I press ctrl-space, I get a "right click"/"ctrl-click" context menu appear. This is when I am in Firefox (you said no matter what app is active). What's the deal?

13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

anyone who's anyone knows at least 100 keyboard combinations for OS X! :D
    Not sure about this rant. I like being able to do things multiple ways. That way if i'm lounging back in my chair, mouse in hand I don't have to sit up if I can do it all with the mouse (mighty mouse helps there!). Similarly if it's speed I want then it's there in keyboard shortcuts etc.
    As with everything Apple, the functionality is great for all users, beginners and Pros alike.
    People who don't know the useful shortcuts are missing out it's true, but it isn't a crime!

14. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You're probably not using Quicksilver.;)

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I use linux and most of this stuff is standard in x.org. So the OP may have to something more rudimentary like SAGE.

16. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Ah, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I'm not using Tiger either :eek:

EDIT: ah, I see there's a version for Panther too. Sigh, it's getting late.

17. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I guess Im using my computer all wrong then...all this time I have been trying to find ways to not have to reach across for that stupid control button. Oh well, I made the accomplishment, the control button is never used if I can help it. :D :D

18. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I am a Graphic Design Student and I feel the same way. Keyboard shortcuts are my life, it would kill me to not have them and constantly be whipping the mouse around to do stuff.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's odd, I can do that with Word for Windows too.

I use ctrl-x/ctrl-c and ctrl-v anyway. Can't remember the last time I used the save/copy/paste etc toolbar icons, unless I had my hand on the mouse and the cursor was up there anyway.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jeez — that sounds like a euphemism for a private and pleasurable past-time.

21. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Good question and it was used four times! Gibberish nonsense! :eek:

22. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Lets not go there.

23. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

it's true i've been lazy and just use my mouse on my desktop , but on my powerbook shortcuts are sort of a must for me

nice rant btw

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I believe the OP does have a point, even though it seems a bit out of left field. The point of his post seems basically if you complain about the location of the control key, you're probably not using your OS and apps to their full potential. And that's OK. If you're the type who only uses the control key when you would have otherwise right-clicked, you may feel it's out of your way, but if you're the type who uses a billion combinations of control, option, apple with the rest of the keyboard to perform a million tasks, then the control button is exactly where it should be.

Graphic designers are a prime example, because we use hundreds of key commands. My left hand would be glued to the left side of the keyboard whether I used a one button mouse (which I do) or a twenty button mouse.

Edit: BTW, I believe spatial (or spacial?) refers to the organization and method of browsing in the OS 9 finder, and similarly, the way your finder behaves when you are in minimized finder view in OSX.

25. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Seems to me he WAS explaining the functionality and usefulness of OS X.