Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theRAMman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
Im not sure if this is the right area, but I need some help with youtube. I recently made a video with the quicktime screen recorder and edited i on youtube. It is 11mins long. When i try uploading strait from imovie it says its going to take 3 hours which seems stupid. I converted it to a .mp4 and it too about 10 mins, but the picture quality was ruined (240p!) Can you guys tell me what the best format and method is? any help appreciated. :)

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Well, if you want a good quality HD video, it's gonna be quite big. And if you have a DSL connection, the upload is way slower (about a factor of 10) than the download stream. So yes, it will take forever. ;) I have spent many an hour uploading video files.

If you don't want to spend the time (it's not like you have to stay there, holding the computer's hand...), you can compress the video to smaller sizes without reducing the resolution. If you use a good compression tool, this will still look okay. You can either buy something like Apple's Compressor or go with free tools like Handbrake. Just be aware that uploading an 11 minute video in 10 minutes will result in crappy quality. The default "export HD for video upload" setting of Compressor will produce a file size at about 150 MB per minute. This would put your 11 minutes at roughly 1.6GB, and that will take some time to upload. Sure, you can reduce the size a little without it ending up at 240p, but you better get used to long upload times with DSL... :(

theRAMman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
Well, if you want a good quality HD video, it's gonna be quite big. And if you have a DSL connection, the upload is way slower (about a factor of 10) than the download stream. So yes, it will take forever. ;) I have spent many an hour uploading video files.

If you don't want to spend the time (it's not like you have to stay there, holding the computer's hand...), you can compress the video to smaller sizes without reducing the resolution. If you use a good compression tool, this will still look okay. You can either buy something like Apple's Compressor or go with free tools like Handbrake. Just be aware that uploading an 11 minute video in 10 minutes will result in crappy quality. The default "export HD for video upload" setting of Compressor will produce a file size at about 150 MB per minute. This would put your 11 minutes at roughly 1.6GB, and that will take some time to upload. Sure, you can reduce the size a little without it ending up at 240p, but you better get used to long upload times with DSL... :(

thanks for the advice, I had tried uploading it before and it took about 4 hours, then failed during processing

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Maybe try converting the raw file into an MOV with higher quality settings. I've noticed another user on this forum had trouble getting HD res out of his QuickTime screen captures as well so Google around and see what you find.

joshualee90

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
H.264 is the best finishing codec for the web. You should be able to set compression settings but upload time and quality go hand in hand. The better the quality the longer the upload time. Just run it over night.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What I recommend you do is to test and perfect your workflow before you start spending time uploading long videos.

What I mean is: take your screen recorder program and capture a short test video, say 30 seconds or a minute. Then you can experiment with file formats, compression settings, upload time, whether or not YouTube is able to process it, and how it looks in the end, without waiting for hours.

Once you've got a process that works, then upload your long clips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.