iPad YouTube app now supports iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smiddlehurst, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2007
    About time that google got this out the door, latest official YouTube app now supports both iPad & iPhone 5. Testing now...
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up!
  3. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    Just came on here to post this

I noticed a YouTube app update on my iPhone and it mentioned now supports iPad

So if you go to the app store on your iPad and search for YouTube and select the iPhone apps you will get the YouTube download (as you did before) but when you open it it's iPad optimised and full screen.
  5. smiddlehurst, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2007
    One VERY fast (and therefore incomplete) period of testing later:

• Airplay works fine with Apple TV. Not quite as good or slick as the old Apple-supplied app but it does work. That said ONLY works when you're watching the video. Go back to do another search or leave the app and it stops completely.
    • Video quality seems fine, no settings that I can find on first glance but seems to be using high-ish quality where available. No worse than the web version at the very least and I'm sure someone with better eyes than me can work out if it'll use 1080p if it's available.
    • iPhone 5 support makes a huge difference (yeah, I know this is the iPad forum but what the heck), looks so much better now.
    • Oddly the Airplay button seems a bit unresponsive... might just be me though.
    • Interface on iPad is very nice, if a bit busy. Still no way to quickly get back to your channel pane if you're several videos in... someone please tell me I'm missing something obvious there.
    • Some form of voice control built in but I'm almost sure it's not Siri. Probably Google's own tech (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and it seems to work very well.
    • All the main YouTube features seem to be present and correct including up and down votes, subscriptions and *shudder* comments.
    • Sharing options are present and (IMO annoyingly) have Google+ at the top of the list. There's also options for adding to Watch Later, Favorites and Playlist. Which is nice.
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 12, 2012
    Guess I will wait for testing. I do not see the app in the store.
  7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2007
    If it ain't there search for the iPhone app. This update effectively pushed it to be universal so that should work... in theory.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    yes, works for me (iphone app on ipad 4).
  9. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2011
    Who needs the app when you can just have the page on the desktop. It takes no space that way.

10. macrumors 68040

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok thanks. I was on the iPad tab, not iPhone. Still new at this stuff. Got it, thanks again.

I want to try planet earth hd amazing scenery I know is 1080p. How do I know for sure it is being played at 1080p?
  11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2007
    I've always found the web version to be a bit clunky and, frankly, unreliable. Very irritating that it doesn't default to high quality where available too and the lack (AFAIK) of an Airplay button in the interface (I know you can do it via the task switcher) is another irritation. And the lack of a proper full screen mode so the Safari address bar is always at the top is annoying. Also at 18.7MB I don't think the app version is going to be causing too many space issues ;)

Of course if you're happy with the web version then stick with it, me though I've been looking forward to getting back into an app version for a while now. Nothing serious wrong with the web version, just a lot of little annoyances that add up to a less enjoyable experience IMO.
  12. macrumors 68040

Dec 22, 2009
    The official YouTube app is terrible anyway, Jasmine is far better.
  13. Che Castro, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    Mctube is 100 times better

This is why I use mctube it tells you if is streaming in 1080p or lower

You can also download videos in 1080p
    And AirPlay works when you leave the app
  14. macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2009
    Jasmine has some problem supporting 1080p videos.
  15. macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    Yes , it's been a month and still no update ,so I switch to the post above yours
  16. macrumors 68040

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok, I downloaded. The video played great, no lag or buffering. Did not see where it says the resolution though while playing.
  17. macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    In the video box while is playing , there's a bunch of symbols one is + to add the video as favorite
    The last one on the right is the video quality
  18. macrumors member

Aug 8, 2011
    I've been playing with the new YouTube app, and it's buggy for me!

Sound will cut out in the middle of playback. I have to scrub every few seconds to rebuffer the stream to get audio back. Has anyone else experienced this?
  19. macrumors 68040

Nov 12, 2012
    Geez Louise! Even the Planet Earth HD video I chose to play defaulted to 390p.

Thanks a lot! I'm good to go now that I know how to choose the resolution.
  20. macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2009
    I switched to McTube a while ago and I don't see the need to go back to the official app any time soon.
  21. macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    You can go into settings of mctube & select the default 1080p playback
  22. macrumors 68040

Nov 12, 2012
    If someone would have told me I was watching in 360p, I would not have believe it because it still looked great (or so I thought).

1080p buffers alot but I may not watch anything but my blu rays and also you tube videos now that I can get lots in 1080p.
  23. macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2012
    iOS maps confused me a lot. Thanks Google saved this time. Otherwise I could go to other side in town via iOS map.:D
  24. macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2010

Apple's youtube app is total weak sauce in comparison..