YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its YouTube for iOS app, making its "Send to TV" feature available for the iPhone and the iPad.

Send to TV lets users pair iDevices with televisions that support Google TV, allowing YouTube content to be streamed directly to the television. The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV.

With the new feature, YouTube users on the same Wi-Fi network can control video playback on the TV and create playlists using the app. Send to TV also functions with both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, though use with consoles requires manual pairing with the iOS app.

YouTube has also been updated with YouTube Capture integration, stability improvements, and improved streaming over slow Wi-Fi connections.

The universal YouTube app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2011
    Livingston, Scotland
    Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2011
    If only my TV, that I bought in 2006, would fail on me, I could buy a smart TV and use the streaming feature. :D
  4. macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    Pretty soon, some user is going to discover a gesture that pulls the YouTube UI up to reveal the latest version of Android running in the background.
  5. macrumors member

Jun 26, 2004
    So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2009
    Wichita, KS
  7. macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    There fixed it for you.

No good can come from this. Although, it is curious that such a basic feature has not been implemented.
  8. macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2013
    Youtube is a lot faster for me. I couldn't watch ANYTHING before. I am very pleased with this update!!
  9. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2003
    Vancouver, Canada
    Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.
  10. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Jasmine has been my go to app. Guess I will be dropping that app now and going back to youtube app
  12. macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2012
    I actually stumbled upon this yesterday before the app was updated when I was using the mobile website on my PS3 it asked if I wanted to pair with my iPhone so I did it. Neat feature if you don't have an Apple TV, which I do though
  13. macrumors 68020

Oct 26, 2008
    Works great. However I have been using imediashare and I find loading YouTube on my tv takes longer in order to use the native app.
  14. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Huh? :confused:

You can still AirPlay right from the YouTube App:

Attached Files:

15. Jeaz, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2009
    No, it doesn't work very well. It still doesn't allow background play, so it requires you to have to YouTube app being the active app at all times while watching. You can't even lock/turn off the screen. It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.
  16. macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2008
    Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.
  17. macrumors 65816

May 30, 2007
    Apple should have opened AirPlay, or made licensing it much more attractive.

Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.

Is it good for Google? Sure.

But it's Apple's greed that makes it possible.
  18. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2003
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have an iPhone 4 and the original iPad, so I'm definitely not using AirPlay mirroring to make it work. It's there, and the device can even go to sleep and it keeps playing.
  19. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2007
    How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?
  20. macrumors 68000

Apr 23, 2007
    Helsinki, Finland
    Is this done with DLNA or with some proprietary Samsung stuff?
  21. macrumors 65816

May 30, 2007

take a look at the description here:
  22. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2011
    You must also pair your iPhone with your PS3. To do this go into the "sign in & settings" and select "pair device". Then go into your iPhone YouTube app settings, select "pair YouTube TV", and input the code it gives you on your PS3.

Why the app can't be smart and automatically detect devices registered to your account is beyond me.
  23. macrumors regular

Aug 2, 2008
    Southern California
    If you still can't stream your purchased videos to one of the game consoles, its still not ready for prime time. Most people already have an XBox or PlayStation. The YouTube app on the PS3 doesn't allow me to play purchased videos. Can't speak for the XBox.
  24. macrumors 68000

Apr 23, 2007
    Helsinki, Finland
  25. macrumors 65816

May 30, 2007
    What part of "OPEN" is unclear here?

There are bunch of companies on board, but it is pushed primarily by Netflix and Google. But also by Hulu, Sony, Samsung, etc..