Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Google said it was coming, but I've just come home and found that the iPad mini had updated the YouTube app to use the 'material design' language.

However, I can not see the update as 'completed' in the App Store, and its also not showing up on my iPad Air 2 or iPhone. Really strange.

Anyone else seen this update? Maybe my iPad mini updated to it (auto updates are on) and then the update was pulled?

(iPad mini, latest iOS, UK)

IMG_1922.PNG

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It seems to load the new interface sometimes as a way to test it out with a few users. It's not officially updated yet.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Now I have it on both my iPhone and my iPad. But as said before, I guess it will revert back to the old one soon.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
what does the iphone one look like?

Just quit the YouTube app on my iPhone (and family iPhones) and after opening it again, I get the new design.

I think they're beginning to roll it out. Funny how they can do it without an App Store update; quite remarkable.

Here is the iPhone version:

image.png

(iPhone 5s)

Reactions: Yun0

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I just pushed update in the app store and even though the install didn't complete the redesign appeared. So I guess they did finally release it publicly.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I like it.

Material design is simple and professional, and not too over-the-top with colors or animations.

The nice thing about Android is that you can downgrade apps if you don't like their appearance, and you can also change the ROM or the launcher to suit your needs.

It's not like on iOS where they cram a new design down your throat, and if you don't like it, too bad!

Reactions: Tozovac

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Just updated my iPhone 6S Plus to the newest version and it has this new material design. Whatever, I don't mind how it looks but it has a huge bug. The main screen consists of 3 tabs that you can swipe between as seen above in post #8, except many times you can't, they freeze or it's very sluggish to move between them.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like it.

Material design is simple and professional, and not too over-the-top with colors or animations.

The nice thing about Android is that you can downgrade apps if you don't like their appearance, and you can also change the ROM or the launcher to suit your needs.

It's not like on iOS where they cram a new design down your throat, and if you don't like it, too bad!

I feel its too simple and not professional. I now have to identify my subscriptions by a microscopic thumbnail that randomly and constantly change. Plus it doesn't list the amount of new videos from channels, it just gives a blue dot.

And the iPad version is just a port, not its own version. What is fine for the iPhone, isn't fine for the iPad. They managed to make the subscription icons small too on the iPad version...was that intentional? Seriously, could they possibly waste anymore space?

FullSizeRender.jpg

I guess at least I don't have to worry about accidentally touching that McDonalds ad with the amount of space used for the Home, Subscriptions and Account buttons.

Meh, I'm just complaining. I'll get used too it. However something I have noticed and this maybe pure coincidence is I've seen two 30 seconds ads I could not skip so far.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Have you ever used Android Lollipop? It is colour and animation valhalla. It is really over the top. The new design of the YouTube app is Material Design Light at best. I suspect that most of it is just web content and JavaScript/CSS, not Objective-C or Swift.

The nice thing about Android is that [you can] change the ROM

Android devices need to be rooted for deeper system access as well and there are no universal methods that apply to each device, contrary to jailbreaks on iOS. In addition, there are many Android devices that are difficult to flash because there simply isn’t a distribution available for each device. The popular smartphones are often supported, but even there the process is not as trivial and painless. I read that Samsung has been building in eFUSEs into Galaxy devices that permanently marks them when flashing a ROM, making them incompatible with KNOX security containers. Not even Apple goes to such lengths. Changing the launcher is natively supported by Android, which is good, but rooting and flashing is definitely not that easy on Android either.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
i like & hate the design at the same time..um i guess im neutral for it. the icon for the new app version is pathetic though

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Have you ever used Android Lollipop? It is colour and animation valhalla. It is really over the top. The new design of the YouTube app is Material Design Light at best. I suspect that most of it is just web content and JavaScript/CSS, not Objective-C or Swift.

Android devices need to be rooted for deeper system access as well and there are no universal methods that apply to each device, contrary to jailbreaks on iOS. In addition, there are many Android devices that are difficult to flash because there simply isn’t a distribution available for each device. The popular smartphones are often supported, but even there the process is not as trivial and painless. I read that Samsung has been building in eFUSEs into Galaxy devices that permanently marks them when flashing a ROM, making them incompatible with KNOX security containers. Not even Apple goes to such lengths. Changing the launcher is natively supported by Android, which is good, but rooting and flashing is definitely not that easy on Android either.

Never said it was easy, but it's still possible. On iOS, it isn't possible to change the OS appearance or downgrade to an earlier version of the OS or of any application.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Never said it was easy, but it's still possible. On iOS, it isn't possible to change the OS appearance or downgrade to an earlier version of the OS or of any application.

When it’s not practical then few will bother. So it’s a moot point either way. Of course you can change the OS appearance with a jailbreak and you can also install previous versions of apps if you still have them in iTunes. Only a downgrade is out of the question, but considering the poor security state of Android at the moment, that would be a really dumb thing to do (even on iOS for that matter, although not as acute). I don’t consider Android to be all that flexible in comparison to iOS. Android is more accessible to developers, but that’s the only advantage I would give it in that regard.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
When it’s not practical then few will bother. So it’s a moot point either way. Of course you can change the OS appearance with a jailbreak and you can also install previous versions of apps if you still have them in iTunes. Only a downgrade is out of the question, but considering the poor security state of Android at the moment, that would be a really dumb thing to do (even on iOS for that matter). I don’t consider Android to be all that flexible in comparison to iOS.

(Went slightly off-topic, whoops.)

But yeah, you're right on the aspect of jailbreaking. But Android is waaaay more flexible in terms of what you can do on the OS.

You can still do some pretty amazing stuff without rooting or flashing a ROM.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Newer versions of Android aren't insecure. […] But the newer versions of Android are actually really solid in security.

Except when they’re not. Take the various Stagefright vulnerabilities for instance, even Lollipop is affected.

The idea of Android being "insecure" is because of the fragmentation.
You don’t have to put ‘insecure’ in quotation marks, Android is insecure because of this. Stagefright is a testament to the problematic distribution model of software updates and the dependency on hardware manufacturers. It’s a serious problem in addition to being a pain in the arse.

Regardless, I’m not going to discuss this further, it’s besides the point. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.