Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's YouTube app for iOS devices was today updated to version 11.10, adding support for Slide Over and Split View on compatible iPads. With Slide Over and Split View, the app can run alongside another app or with the Slide Over panel open, allowing people to multitask while watching YouTube videos.

The third split screen feature available on Apple's iPads, Picture in Picture, has not been added to the YouTube app despite being a feature that many YouTube users have been hoping for.

youtubesplitview-800x600.jpg

Split View is compatible with the iPad Air 2, both iPad Pros, and the iPad mini 4. Slide Over is compatible with the iPad Air and up, the iPad mini 2 and up, and both iPad Pros.

Other new features in the update include relocated home tabs when in landscape mode on an iPad and a fix for a bug that prevented URLs in video descriptions from opening.

YouTube can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Updated With Split Screen Support on iPad

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
How about Hangouts?? That's the app, in my opinion, that most needs split-screen support.

As an aside, I was one of the most vocal ones complaining on this forum and to Apple's feedback website asking for split-screen multitasking, and I am really disappointed in their asinine implementation of it. It's better than not having split-screen multitasking, but only just barely.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Revearti

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
I'm craving horizontal and vertical split screen. Some apps are not worth using vertically.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
This of course is a step in the right direction...

But the YouTube app still is the best it could be.

Also, the multitasking app draw thing is getting really cumbersome already; even if it is intelligent giving you your favourite choices...

They needs rethink it (obvs this is bit off topic)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish Apple had implemented PIP in a way so that ALL apps can use it, without it having to be implemented by the app author.

It's silly that we still can't use YouTube with PIP all because they've been too lazy to implement it, or want to get people to subscribe to the Red crap.

We can already play YouTube videos in the background on our laptop. Why should it cost extra to do it on a tablet?

This also goes back to when I say that tablets aren't real computers and can't replace them. This kind of stupid **** is why.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It drives me crazy that YouTube doesn't offer PIP and honestly I've been using it less and less because of that. It's crap like this that forced Apple to go build their own mapping app back when Google wouldn't give features like turn by turn directions that Android users enjoyed, despite court records from that period indicating that Google made more money from iOS users than Android. Unfortunately building a YouTube replacement is quite a bit more difficult!

msavich

macrumors member
May 31, 2015
I think PiP is coming, eventually. And it IS possible to put PiP behind a paywall-- so they could put it behind YouTube Red and make more money. It'd get me to buy it. The point is I think this update shows that the YouTube team is just slow, not deliberately avoiding those features. Given their app has its own custom pip view I imagine coding for system PiP support could be a nightmare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.