YouTube is slow on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by crazycat, Jun 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

crazycat

When I watch a YouTube video on my iPad I would have to wait for it to buffer up and sometimes takes 6 mins to view a 3 min clip.

On my laptop i would just open the video and watch it without any load time, it seems the loading of the video is anywhere from x2 to x5 times faster on a laptop. Is there any king of fix for this problem.

Thanks

2. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'm having exactly the same problem. I tested the YouTube app and the mobile site, and the same thing happens. I found that it's not only YouTube, but any site that streams very high-res video, where I have the same issues.

Again, there's no issue on my mid-range laptop, and hi-def videos work with no buffering issues, on the same Wi-Fi network. :mad:

3. macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue, albeit sporadically. Sometimes the video loads fine, other times it takes years. Really strange. I do have a fairly slow connection but YouTube's fine on my desktop.

Annoying.

4. macrumors regular

Yeah, this is something I've been experiencing, though nothing like 6 minutes of waiting for a 3 minute video. I wonder why this is considering the iPhone app is very quick for me on the same network, and on my laptop. Hopefully this is simply a software issue that can be resolved in a point update, or in OS 4.0.

5. macrumors newbie

my 32g wifi model was delivered today with the same problem

6. macrumors 6502a

Are you guys using the youtube app or using the website.

I have had better luck using the website compared to the app.

7. macrumors member

Macpowered

No problems here.

8. macrumors 68030

Arran

Try turning bluetooth off.

Worked for me - although it might've been coincidence?

9. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Ive tried both and the problem occurs whenever I try to stream high def video.

10. macrumors 6502a

It's so annoying.

11. macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I've had this problem once so far and I've watches a tone of YouTube videosmon my iPad, all I did to fix it was to reboot my modem and router and voilà they started working properly again with no waiting for them to buffer

12. macrumors member

No problem with my two ipads playing youtube 720p videos.

13. macrumors regular

Same problem here. It's most annoying, because it makes youtube useless to me. I hope a fix for this comes out soon.

14. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

I'm getting annoyed with this problem too. Constantly having to wait for a video to buffer really takes the "magic" out of the iPad experience. Weirdly I watched an hour long streamed program from the BBC iPlayer site with no buffeting at all and in pretty high quality. Hopefully we will see a fix for this in a future update.

15. macrumors regular

I've had no problems with Youtube on a 64G WiFi iPad through an 802.11g router and a cable modem as well as with an 802.11g router and DSL service.

Check your network speeds with the Speedtest app.

16. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed. The iPlayer interface is attrocious and you can't make a widescreen video fullscreen, but the videos play with high quality and zero buffering - the complete opposite of YouTube(native app or mobile site) on the iPad.

17. macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

It's usually YouTubes problem, not the iPad.

18. macrumors 6502

Same here over wifi but it loads quickly over 3G but the quality is s#ht.

19. macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Can't say I've had this issue.

20. macrumors 6502

I have this problem too. I appreciate that my BT extended reach broadband speed is crap (even though I pay the top rate for which others can receive up to 8x faster!). However, YouTube plays OK on my iMac and MacBook. If I remember rightly, when I first received my iPad just over 6 weeks ago YouTube played fine, but over the past few weeks it has become jerky and slow to buffer. Sometimes it doesn't buffer at all and I have to keep pressing play until buffering is complete - what a way to watch a movie - it's like having a stammer in my brain!

I've tried resetting my modem and I've tied turning off bluetooth but neither of these change things. Anyway I want to use my bluetooth earphones so that is not helpful.

The ipad has bee out a while now and though I appreciate that some issues and improvements will take a while, for some IMPORTANT problems Apple need to pull their finger out and get an interim update to solve them!

21. macrumors 6502

Me too, it's very slow, I don't think it's a youtube problem, maybe the app has some issues, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.

22. macrumors member

Same problem here, and I think my 3GS has the same issue but don't use it much for youtube.

For those that say to reboot modem/router or test network speed, remember that on other devices (mac desktop, windows computer, macbook) the speed is just fine and videos play right away, yet on the iPad 6 minutes download for a 3 minute video when another device plays it right away is the problem.

And I haven't noticed it on other sites/videos (ABC Player, Netflix, etc.), only youtube.

As far as connection speed, desktop speedtest shows over 10 Mbps, though the test on the iPad only shows 2-3. But even 2-3 shouldn't increase youtube videos only by 1000%.

And it appears to be a somewhat common problem, just google "youtube slow on ipad" to see lots of complaints.

23. macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Sorry to hear your troubles, I've had a wonderful youtube experience. Videos buffer for 2-3 seconds and plays very quickly. Have you tried resetting your modem/router?

24. macrumors 604

mcdj

There has been discussion of YouTube throttling speeds in major traffic areas. I live in NYC and even on my MacBook I get buffering issues regularly. So it could be partially a regional problem.

25. macrumors newbie

same here I thought I was the only one. I stil dont know why it only happen with youtube other streaming works like a charm, for example Air video.