YouTube Launches 'Capture' App to Easily Film and Share Videos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube has launched a new app called Capture to make it easier for users to shoot and share video. The app is one of many competing for the unofficial title of 'Instagram-for-videos'.

[​IMG]
    The app is set up for quick and easy recording, basic editing with color correction, stabilization, trimming, and music tracks, as well as the ability to share videos on YouTube, Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
    YouTube Capture is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Launches 'Capture' App to Easily Film and Share Videos

2. macrumors 68000

No "Do Not Attempt"?

I've seen ads with people simply driving cars around parking lots at low speed show a "Do Not Attempt" banner. Here we have people lighting dozens of sparklers using blow torches. Some of those sparklers are attached directly to a human being.

3. macrumors 601

Oh, oh.

Glad to see a big company make moves to capture a market instead of all these start ups. Video is still something I don't care for however.

4. macrumors 65816

How about working to fix the screwed up youtube layout instead of pumping out useless apps.

5. macrumors 6502a

Google are on the ball. Apple should hire them to help fix ios 6 the windows vista of ios updates. Or help with ios 7.

6. macrumors 601

I always had wondered why Youtube didn't have a mobile video creation app to begin with. Seems like a no brainer.

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors member

Goodness! Get ready for the onslaught of pointless and poorly edited YouTube videos! :rolleyes: ;) :D

9. macrumors newbie

10. Yvan256, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

macrumors 601

Yvan256

YouTube is becoming a wasteland.

It doesn't work with HTML5 anymore.

It's flooded with ads everywhere and last friday even clicking on the "play" button of a video opened a new browser window for a 3rd-party game. :rolleyes:

All my future videos will be uploaded to Vimeo.

11. macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

The best feature is that they force you to shoot in landscape mode!

12. macrumors 68020

If you seriously need an "do not attempt" for you to not try to recreate something you saw on tv that is clearly dangerous, without doing your own research before hand, then you deserve everything that goes wrong.

13. macrumors member

What's wrong with vertical videos? Maybe the movie and TV industry has just been doing it wrong this whole time?

14. macrumors 6502

Every time a company does something new, there's always the "why don't they do this important thing instead?" comment. You do realize that not everyone from Google or YouTube was involved in doing this app and that not everyone can work on a single feature or fix? It's not like Apple went "ok guys, our maps aren't very good so we'll have to stop working on iPad Minis and put everyone on fixing our maps".

Regarding the layout, which one do you mean? Because they just came up with a new one (or at least they're testing a few different ones). The one I have works fine for me.

15. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Its 2012 and you're not using adblock? Even my Nexus phone has adblock installed.

16. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

The built-in camera app has been doing this for years!

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors G5

Have you ever been to youtube? How would this app make any difference?

Maybe because it's not out for any other platform yet?

19. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Lawyers kind of screwed up natural selection...

20. macrumors 6502a

Probably because it's for iOS only?

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors G5

I'm pretty sure the built-in camera ap doesn't automatically upload to more than one service nor does color correction, add musical beds or have stabilization...

23. macrumors member

youtube has become the place where you have to watch 1 minute of ads for 30 seconds of content.. I'll stick to putting my videos on dropbox or vimeo.

24. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I used to feel this way but I've recently changed my mind on this issue.

Specifically, it's not the shooter's fault, it's Youtube's fault for forcing vertical videos into a widescreen frame. (Which, yes, is ugly.) If they just rotated the viewer and had a different layout for 'vertical video' pages, they would look just fine.

What lead me to this thinking is that online video is not always TV or movies. Sometimes they are, but sometimes they're more like moving photography. And we let still photographers shoot vertically...why can't certain videos be too?

My Challenge: Watch this video and tell me if it would have been better shot widescreen.

Rocket Launch

I don't see how that specific video would be better wide.

25. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

On non-calibrated displays. Sure. :rolleyes: