YouTube to Implement Offline Viewing Mode in iOS App This November

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Video sharing service YouTube has announced on its blog for creators and partners that it will be updating its mobile apps for iOS and Android with an offline viewing mode, stating that users will be allowed to add videos to their devices to watch for a "short period when an internet connection is unavailable", with AllThingsD reporting that the window will be up to 48 hours.

YouTube says that the feature will be implemented in November and will be a part of many updates planned for YouTube viewing on mobile devices.
    YouTube's iOS app was last updated late last month with continuous, touch-free playback of video playlists and a new picture-in-picture playback that allowed users to watch a video while still browsing through search results. The service originally launched a native YouTube app for the iPhone after Apple removed the Apple-supplied YouTube iOS app with the release of iOS 6.

YouTube is a universal app for iOS devices and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube to Implement Offline Viewing Mode in iOS App This November

2. macrumors 6502

This is great news !

3. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Thats good but the feature I want most is being able to choose which resolution it plays at.

4. macrumors regular

there is so much potential with this idea...

5. macrumors 6502a

Damn when it will be possible to run youtube in background

6. macrumors member

You used to be able to play them in the background on the YouTube website but that doesn't seem possible anymore.

7. macrumors 6502

Id just be happy if i could get through a 30 seconnd clip without it buffering multiple times...

8. macrumors 6502

cheesyappleuser

Yes!! Now let us listen to it in background eheh

9. macrumors 68040

This.

And this.

Or at the very least pick a reasonable default resolution based on device capability and connection quality. Google always seems to fail when it comes to UX issues, and this is no exception.

10. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

iOS restriction.

11. macrumors regular

Oh, how I miss the Apple-run YouTube app. There are so many ads in the Google version. Funny how those HD ads never have an issue loading, but the video you actually want to watch is broadcast in 240p and can't load past 5 seconds...

12. macrumors newbie

There are so many things the YouTube app still needs such as:

-Being able to reply to comments
    -Being able to change the playback resolution
    -Being able to play audio in the background!

----------

It works in other apps on iOS.. I don't think it has anything to do with iOS...

13. macrumors member

You don't really need that on an iOS device. The app can decide what resolution is best for the device you're running on quite easily. At least that's how I would implement the YouTube app. Don't know how Google does it.

14. macrumors regular

Guys seriously ... The solution is an app called mctube .. Offline playing , choosing the resolution , background playing ...etc etc I almost never use YouTube app

15. macrumors 68040

False.

Jasmine had background audio for YouTube video, until Google's legal team forced them to pull it via an update.

16. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Video isn't an available function for background API. I assume the other apps are doing some special magic to stream it as an audio stream. Youtube could do that, I suppose... but I don't think they want their official app to be used as a music player.

17. macrumors 603

troop231

Use the ViaTube app, it works perfectly and better than Jasmine.

18. macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

This.

Google's YouTube app is pretty bad. McTube Pro used to be the best, before Google and Apple had it removed for offering a caching feature, which is now what Google is going to offer in their app.

The new McTube app is decent, while Protuber offers the caching feature McTube Pro used to have.

19. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Read my above response.

20. macrumors 6502a

Better yet, use McTube.

21. macrumors 603

troop231

I did, but not anymore.. ViaTube has caching :)

22. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for me, the quality will jump up and down throughout the video. Using a third party youtube app that allows setting a default resolution means videos play smoothly all the way through.

I agree that you shouldn't need it but at least in my case, i do.

23. macrumors regular

"So your fans' ability to enjoy your videos no longer has to be interrupted by something as commonplace as a morning commute."

Am I the only one who interprets this as Google encouraging watching videos while driving?

24. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

I interpret this directed to those who commute by bus, train, subway or are in a carpool.

25. macrumors 68000

There are a number of apps that implement offline use more completely.