Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Hi,

since i upgraded to flash 10.2 youtube videos simply don't work in safari 5.0.3 they appear as black screens without the content or controls, but i can see videos just fine on the channels home pages witch is weird.

can someone help???

I had adblock and click2flash installed and uninstalled them but still the same.
I unintalled 10.2 and installed 10.1 but still the same.
I have chrome and firefox and they work fine.
I have been using html5 until i fix this.

zango

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
Hey, I'm having the exact same problem every since upgrading to 10.2.

I tried resetting safari, reboot my mac, checked for updates, uninstall and reinstall flash, repair disk permissions.

EVERYTHING.

Nothing works, yet the videos work in chrome and firefox, and they also work where they are embedded on a page. They just don't work on the actual youtube.com/link

zango

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
Except HTML5 on youtube doesn't allow you to play any videos youtube throws an ad on... bs

Hyde244

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Alright, here's a fix. You need to set your Safari to open in 32 bit mode.

I had the same damn problem, what worked for me was to set safari to 32bit mode. open application folder>right click on safari icon>select get info> check box that says 32bit mode> restart safari it should work.

google must have changed something on youtube, because it was just working fine yesterday, and the apple support forums are going crazy. If that don't work you can look here.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=876&start=0

Hope that helps.

Let me know if that works.

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
running on 32bit mode works!
but this is no fix i want to be able to run safari on 64bit for better performance.

interesting to know if this problem comes from youtube, flash or safari..

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
someone on the apple forums shared a link to an impressive safari extension!
i'm back on 64bit mode and using this extension... don't think i need flash after all.

Hey guys,

Even though i am also having this issue (with only 1 of my computers) i am putting the issue down to Youtube. I was able to find a workaround though.

http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/10/27/youtube5-version-2/

This link allows you to view the youtube content in HTML5 embedded video rather then using the default youtube controller. Install the Safari Extension by first downloading and clicking and dragging into the Safari window. Check your preferences to make sure the extension is installed, and refresh the YouTube page if needed.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Itogator

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I am having the same problem. I reinstalled flash, restarted everything and nothing is working. This SUCKS!:mad:

Hyde244

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Well I've decided to stick with the 32 bit version of Safari for now, and hope a fix comes along.

Be sure to submit a bug report for the blank Youtube pages (use the bug button in the toolbar) to Apple so that they can at least have your trouble on record.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I was actually having the black screen issue with Google Chrome and switched back to Safari to avoid the issue.

stephunee

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
This doesn't appear to be just a youtube problem, at least for me. Hulu also just shows a black screen when I try to play videos. Videos from blip.tv and dailymotion have worked fine for me, but those are the only ones I've tried so far.

Hulu's now working for me, I dunno if it was just coincidence that it stopped working for a bit earlier today but I double-checked just now and it's completely fine. Youtube's still a no-go though.

Last edited:

clactonlad

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring and say that youtube is not working for me since the update.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
glad? to hear others are having this issue too because my sister is having it and I couldn't figure out how to resolve it. What's odd is that the YouTube clips work if they are embedded in say Facebook but if she clicks on it to go to YouTube and watch it there, she gets the black.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
This seems odd, YouTube is working fine for me in Safari. I am an 64-bit mode and I use Click To Flash.

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010

gibsonpete

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I joined these forums specifically because of this issue... has no one found a fix then? This royally sucks :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.