YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg is reporting that YouTube has seen its mobile ad sales triple in the past six months, which is partly due to increased usage of its ad-enabled YouTube apps on both iOS and Android.

The company has seen a 42 percent increase in app usage from a year ago, with 70 million smartphone owners using the app in March the United States.
    Six months ago Google launched a native YouTube app months after we reported that Apple was set to remove the stock YouTube app with iOS 6. The stock app that had been included with iOS since 2007 did not include ads, but YouTube's new iOS app frequently features ads before videos are played.

Article Link: YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2013
    I ususally look away when the ads pop up on my iPhone anyways. ;)
  3. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2012
    This could also be due to YouTube restrictions with the Apple stock App or their web-only version - they couldn't put Ads by the videos & they weren't available on some platforms.
  4. macrumors 603

Jan 20, 2010
    I like using the McTube app instead, as it allows you to listen to music in the background.
  5. B4U
    macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2012
    Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
    I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.
  6. daneoni, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Use Jasmine instead. No ads and i can watch HQ videos on mobile data instead of stupid auto throttling.

If you're gonna feed me ads at least let me decided what quality to watch it at. Idiots.
  7. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Don't say that! Next thing you know they'll be adding facial recognition that makes sure you watch them.
  8. macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2012
    The Digital Frontier
    No surprise, it almost mandatory to watch those ads. Mandatory ads shows up meaning they earn money on other people's bandwidth and time. Collecting money on both ends of the process, money collect from people putting up the ad and people watching the ad.
  9. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2011
    Well, this is very wrong.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 11, 2012
    I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2010
  12. macrumors 68020

Sep 25, 2012
    How do you look away when a Google Glass ad comes in front of you wearing your Google Glass?

I think Google has it all figured out. Resistance is futile.
  13. macrumors member

May 22, 2010
    The Galaxy S4 already pauses when you look away...hmm.
  14. macrumors regular

May 23, 2010
    I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
    But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.
  15. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    good for google's revenue although they don't split mobile ad revenue with partners (which is around half of any major channels monthly views).
    I do like the app though
  16. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It's obvious (from the title) that YouTube's ad growth is directly linked to iOS.
  17. macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2012
    Playtube pro is hands down the best and i always cache my videos
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2010
    Northern Atlanta suburbs
    I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

Wonder if the trade off is worth it?

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!
  19. macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2007
    I think the decision to stop bundling YouTube was mutual.
  20. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    That's why I keep my 4th gen iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5. :p On my iPhone 5, I use Jasmine since the official YouTube app doesn't do a good job.
  21. macrumors 601

Dec 8, 2011
    East Central Florida
    Actually IE 9 & 10 effectively have adblockers implemented as 'tracking protection' under 'manage addons'.

Not that I'm trying to defend IE, but it has improved a good bit.

I'm not sure that it blocks youtube ads like the chrome adblocker does though.
  22. macrumors regular

May 14, 2013
    That does it, I'm deleting that app. Why did I even install that thing in the first place if it makes the ads work? I already killed them with an axe on my computer... YouTube videos open in QuickTime Player to avoid ads and throttling, plus I can go to recent videos, save videos I want to keep, rip the audio whenever I want, trim, play in reverse and fast/slow motion, automatically get just the video without junk on the side, etc.

Those retarded Toyota ads do not make me want to trust those people. I get low-quality, ear-piercing ads telling me that Prius technology can make a roller coaster POWER ITSELF. Screw you, laws of physics :p
  23. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ya people have to sit through ads (which suck), but it makes youtube and the content creators more money. Also google pushes out a lot of updates constantly improving there apps
  24. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    Last I heard to access the Internet on your phones is not free. Stop this free bullcrap. Ads are just plain annoying.
  25. macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2011
    Alpha Centauri A
    You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app :)

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.