Yummy vs Transmit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CTYankee, Nov 3, 2006.

1. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I'm looking at two FTP clients (Mac). Yummy and Transmit. Ideally I want one that will let me click a button and it will look at my local and remote folder and only upload new or updated files. I have played around with both a bit, but unfortunately the trial expired before I could really give them a good look. Don't suppose anyone has used both and can comment?

I don't need an extrememly robust FTP client...just one that will be quick and easy to use.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't used Yummy, but I am a huge fan of Transmit.

Syncing seems to work fine, and you can't beat the droplets - it's a little icon you put on your Desktop (or wherever), and when you drag something onto it, it automatically connects and uploads to whichever server/folder you specified when you created the droplet. Incredibly easy.

3. Euan macrumors regular

I used CuteFTP Pro on XP but I've installed and am liking Transmit a lot, so much I'll probably buy the license this weekend.

4. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

you should try out http://cyberduck.ch/ before you make a choice. Its free and seems to have the functions you want. I personally haven't played with the syncing with CyberDuck but it is pretty nice ftp. However I'm a Transmit user.

5. CTYankee thread starter macrumors 6502

I have used cyber duck (like the widget function, but would prefer droplets). I had some issues with it though. I dont remember what, but enough to make it 3rd on my list and not a contender. I think it didn't sync well...I forget what I didn't like. I'll have to try it again.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Cyberduck is cool cuz it's free, but it crashed 3 out of 10 times everyday, so I bailed on it.

Never heard of Yummy

7. jeffgtr macrumors regular

I have always used Transmit, however recently I found it was buggy on a linux server. I had a .txt file that was a config file for a perl script. It had to be uploaded in ascii format. Even though I specifically set the transfer mode to ascii and made sure in preferences txt was entered in as an extension to be transferred in ascii, each and every time Transmit corrupted the file. I downloaded a trial of Yummy ftp and all of the issues I had went away. I really like the interface of Transmit, and the fact that it syncs with .mac but I have to have reliability so I'm purchasing a license for Yummy

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I found that with transferring large amounts of data, Yummy was much more reliable than Transmit. That's what I use today....Yummy!

-Kevin

9. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

what about transfer rates? which program allows the fastest for larger files?