Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I got the ZAGG Keys Mini 9 last week from Best Buy. Here's my assessment:

Nice design overall. It's almost a full size keyboard, and the keys feel very comfortable when typing. I think if I typed on them everyday, I could learn to type almost as fast I do on my desktop keyboard. My fingers don't feel squashed when typing.

The Bluetooth setup for the case was easy to connect, and so far the battery has not gone done a lot . There is a battery status button on the bottom-left of the keyboard that when clicked will activate the battery level light— green (50-100%) yellow (20-50%) and red (less than 20%)

zaggkeysmini96.jpg

The biggest issue I have with the case, though, is inserting the iPad mini inside the case. ZAGG provides instructions, but the instructions don't tell enough. You need to literally lay the case down flat, place the iPad controls side into the open slot, and then at the opposite end, push down hard until the iPad locks into the groove. (There is open space on both sides of the iPad when it's in the case.) This insertion process feels very uncomfortable, for you almost feel as though you could damage your iPad.

zaggkeysmini91.jpg

It's a really a tight fit for the iPad. If you rather not lock it into the case, you could just rest it against the case and do some quick typing. When you want to remove the iPad from the case, you need to push against the lower portion of the groove of the case until the iPad kinda pops up.

zaggkeysmini92.jpg

If the iPad is securely put into the case, the case closes okay, but there's no way to lock it. You will need to either stuff case in your bag, hold it closed, or use a rubber band.

Notice also you can reach all the controls of the iPad, and there's a hole for the camera. Not really sure I will take photos while the iPad is in the case, but hey it's there.

zaggkeysmini94.jpg

The back of the case has a nice leather feel. Doesn't feel like plastic at all. It does though collect dust.

The case leans back nicely, and Iv'e been able to even just rest it on my lap and type, but of course resting it on a table is better.

zaggkeysmini93.jpg

The keyboard also includes a nice set of special keys for navigating the music player, doing searches, and entering into slideshow mode.

zaggkeysmini97.jpg

Overall, the ZAGG mini feels very comfortable, but I must say I'm a little weary about taking the iPad in and out of the case. I guess over time it might loosen up. I don't think it's a bad enough problem to return the case, for I like using it while in the coffee shop.

I still don't think, though, that mini is a MacBook Air replacement; for multitasking on the iPad is still a pain. This keyboard is primarily useful if you just want to do some typing in an iPad app, and you don't feel like carrying your MacBook.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
It looks nice, but the open space on the sides of the mini when its in the case just looks incredibly awkward.

Yeah, I thought so at first, but keep in mind that's because of the fuller size keyboard. It might be different for the ZAGG 7 model. I hardly notice the space on each side any more.

shaazma

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Keyboard issue

Probably a silly question, but some of my keys have stopped working (like the h, z, etc). Is this just a charge issue?

sle20

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
power button?

I received the mini 9 keyboard and new Ipad mini as a gift. I'm able to charge the keyboard but I don't see a power button. When I attempt to pair it, it isn't showing up in the discoverable list of devices. Is there an actual power switch?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I received the mini 9 keyboard and new Ipad mini as a gift. I'm able to charge the keyboard but I don't see a power button. When I attempt to pair it, it isn't showing up in the discoverable list of devices. Is there an actual power switch?

You PRESS DOWN on the power icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.