Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Do you really think they would send you a unit for review that may fail? You, my friend got the cream of the crop. The rest of us got the fodder and failures.

Honestly, I don't see how they would be able to test the unit for a possible failure, especially if the internal part is the cause of the failures as they say. I'm still having issues with the LEDS not being accurate, but they just sent me an interesting email. It seems that the unit will lose 1% of it's charge per day, according to ZAGG. The other suggestion was to drain the unit when you won't be using it for awhile, to preserve the battery life. This was not even close to answering my actual questions, so I re-submitted my questions.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
ZAGG did tell me the units they tested in house did not have the failure issue of the part failing. So I assume those same units had been sent out for many reviewers to play with. Although, I have read some reviews where had the same failures many of us have had.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I got my response on leaving the unit plugged in longer then 9 hours. This is what they sent me...

"Thank you for contacting ZAGG, where we are Zealous About Great Gadgets! My name is Stephen and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Per our designers, leaving your ZAGGsparq in the outlet longer than nine hours will have no effect to the product. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again."

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
Gone through 2 full cycles now and my unit loses 1 LED after leaving it alone for a day or so. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hope this is not a sign of things to come.
At least yours still charges your devices. I purchased two Zaggsparq's back in December, returned them both for failure to charge my devices. So here I sit without replacement Zaggsparqs or the money I paid for them.

At this point in time, I am not a big fan of ZAGG and most likely will never purchase anything from them again.

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
The blardy thing just died. I cant get it to charge from either of the ports even though it is still 3/4 full.

ZAGG Cust. Svc

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
ZAGGsparq

Thank you to all posters who alerted ZAGG to the charging malfunction with some of our ZAGGsparq™ Portable Battery Backup & Chargers. We have traced the problem to a quality control issue with a component that we purchased from a third-party manufacturer. The problem did not show up on our internal quality assurance tests because the specific components we were testing were not defective. The issue emerged only when we began shipping the finished products.

This problem poses no safety hazard. Both the ZAGGsparq and your charging devices are completely safe. At ZAGG, we want to ensure that your ZAGGsparq delivers the high quality performance you have come to expect from all ZAGG products.

Therefore, if you have experienced problems with your ZAGGsparq, we will replace it free of charge with our new and improved model that will be available in late March. The new model, the ZAGGsparq 2.0™, will solve the charging issue. Just let us know if you have had a problem.

To receive a replacement ZAGGsparq 2.0 at no cost, customers simply need to mail back their original ZAGGsparq unit. Customers will receive a prepaid shipping label and envelope to return their original unit back to ZAGG for recycling and to qualify for a free ZAGGsparq 2.0.

Please contact us to confirm your mailing address and participate in our Free Replacement Program. You may call us at 1-800-700-ZAGG (M-F, 9am – 5pm, MT), or email us by visiting ZAGG.com/contact.

ZAGG Inc.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Finally we get an "Official" statement from ZAGG.

First it was, sometime in February, now it's late March. I bought mine back in December and now have to wait until the end of March to get what I paid for.....really? Simply amazing ZAGG!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Well, since the unit is defective you should offer all owners a refund in leu of waiting till the end of march for a working unit.

This is clearly Zaggs fault, and customers should not have to suffer or be inconvenienced.

Come on Zagg, step up and do the right thing.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Quality is job none

>the high quality performance you have come to expect from all ZAGG products.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

You need to add a column in your product comparison chart, Officially Certified by Apple, because that's the only accessories I'll be considering from now on.

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
Thank you to all posters who alerted ZAGG to the charging malfunction with some of our ZAGGsparq™ Portable Battery Backup & Chargers. We have traced the problem to a quality control issue with a component that we purchased from a third-party manufacturer. The problem did not show up on our internal quality assurance tests because the specific components we were testing were not defective. The issue emerged only when we began shipping the finished products.

This problem poses no safety hazard. Both the ZAGGsparq and your charging devices are completely safe. At ZAGG, we want to ensure that your ZAGGsparq delivers the high quality performance you have come to expect from all ZAGG products.

Therefore, if you have experienced problems with your ZAGGsparq, we will replace it free of charge with our new and improved model that will be available in late March. The new model, the ZAGGsparq 2.0™, will solve the charging issue. Just let us know if you have had a problem.

To receive a replacement ZAGGsparq 2.0 at no cost, customers simply need to mail back their original ZAGGsparq unit. Customers will receive a prepaid shipping label and envelope to return their original unit back to ZAGG for recycling and to qualify for a free ZAGGsparq 2.0.

Please contact us to confirm your mailing address and participate in our Free Replacement Program. You may call us at 1-800-700-ZAGG (M-F, 9am – 5pm, MT), or email us by visiting ZAGG.com/contact.

ZAGG Inc.

I am still waiting for your response on sending me a replacement unit.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well, since the unit is defective you should offer all owners a refund in leu of waiting till the end of march for a working unit.
They will give you a refund if you want one. The problem is that many of us paid the lower $49.99 introduction price back in December. So for me to get a refund and then have to pay a higher price when the Zaggsparq2 gets released, will cost me more money.

All I want is what I paid for!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
They will give you a refund if you want one. The problem is that many of us paid the lower $49.99 introduction price back in December. So for me to get a refund and then have to pay a higher price when the Zaggsparq2 gets released, will cost me more money.

All I want is what I paid for!

Why do you want it?

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
Now the problem is when will they ship the replacement units or will we be of low priority for them?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Now the problem is when will they ship the replacement units or will we be of low priority for them?
"will be available in late March."

I would think we would be at the top of the list.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Because the new redesigned version is supposed to work and getting 4-5 times full iPhone recharges is a good feature.

Other than the charge level (which has not been established) I dont agree. Form factor is too large,
2 USB port probably will never be used
No power button so it discharges even when doing nothing
No way to know when the charge is complete
Soft, easily scratched case
Dishonest retailer that continued to sell/replace these units knowing there were major issues
Retailer that never really tested the product

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Other than the charge level (which has not been established) I dont agree. Form factor is too large,
2 USB port probably will never be used
No power button so it discharges even when doing nothing
No way to know when the charge is complete
Soft, easily scratched case
Dishonest retailer that continued to sell/replace these units knowing there were major issues
Retailer that never really tested the product

Well the current version gives 4-5 complete iPhone charges, so there is no reason to believe the new version won't also. But yes I understand that this is through using one of the USB ports on the Zaggsparq. A power button would not stop the Zaggsparq from discharging when doing nothing, because this is a factor of the type of internal batteries it uses. All batteries discharge some juice when not in use, the type of battery determines how much it loses. I agree that the Zaggsparq needs an indicator to let you know it has completely charged itself up. And yes I also agree about the case scratching easily, I hate shiny black for that very reason. It would have been better to be matte black. And yes again, I believe ZAGG rushed this device to the market without properly testing it, so they could get the Christmas revenue.

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
Just got my replies from Zagg.

LED issue - at 100%, all 4 would lit up but when it drops to 99.9% only 3 would be lit.

Refund - I have to cover the costs of shipping and it would have to be within 45 days of my purchase. This is a pretty tight window considering that it is already the 5th week.

Fark this ****. I will be waiting for the replacement and it had better not cost me.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Refund - I have to cover the costs of shipping and it would have to be within 45 days of my purchase. This is a pretty tight window considering that it is already the 5th week.
ZAGG if you are reading this, making us pay to ship your defective product back for a refund sucks! Especially since some want their money back only because they don't wish to wait until the end of March to get a replacement. It's not our fault your parts vendor had quality control issues.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Well the current version gives 4-5 complete iPhone charges, so there is no reason to believe the new version won't also. But yes I understand that this is through using one of the USB ports on the Zaggsparq. A power button would not stop the Zaggsparq from discharging when doing nothing, because this is a factor of the type of internal batteries it uses. All batteries discharge some juice when not in use, the type of battery determines how much it loses. I agree that the Zaggsparq needs an indicator to let you know it has completely charged itself up. And yes I also agree about the case scratching easily, I hate shiny black for that very reason. It would have been better to be matte black. And yes again, I believe ZAGG rushed this device to the market without properly testing it, so they could get the Christmas revenue.

They only claim 4 charges...you're embelishing. Once a working model is available lets see.

mas90guru

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Connecticut
I was told to pay return shipping on a device that was clearly defective as well. Definitely not repurchasing this. Probably done with Zagg as a company too.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
They only claim 4 charges...you're embelishing. Once a working model is available lets see.
Actually as I stated before, I got 4 to 5 charges....so no embellishing there. The redesigned Zaggsparq2 should do the same. Remember the reason for the redesign is to correct the device from failing to charge anymore, not because it didn't live up to the 4-5 charges when it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.