Zalman ZM-RSSC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trainguy77, Jul 19, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Does anyone know if this USB sound card will work with macs? I know it officially is not supported. However other non-supported things have worked in the past. Does anyone have one? Can anyone who uses one with a PC give it a shot? Thanks. Any other suggestions for USB sound cards that have coaxial on it. And is under $100. The cheaper the better. :)

2. comongoose macrumors newbie

Hey I am looking for the same exact device. I did find out that some one said it worked for their mac on their review of the zalman sound card. However Im not sure we can trust it. What I want to know is if the PA3390U-1MPM - Toshiba Multimedia Center Sound Card will work on os x. That device looks amazing and i found it for 23.00 bucks ay http://www.getpartsonline.com/pa3390u-1mpm-r.html?source=googlebase&code=pa3390u-1mpm-r
    If that doesnt work Ill prob get the zalman I found it for 20.00 bucks another webiste. Reply back if you found any new cards.

3. rtap macrumors newbie

Y/n?

Anyone found out if the Toshiba D5.1 sound card works with a Mac?

4. DarkMasterX macrumors newbie

Got a Zalman ZM-RSSC V2

Hi every1

I just got this sound card and tested it at work with a 2 channel speaker and it works, you just gotta go to the sound preference pane and select USB Device in the output tab to send the signal trough it.

I'll try the 5.1 whole feature when I get home and post the result but if it doesn't work, at least you'll have 5.1 on bootcamp and your Mac audio will remain the same or a bit better ('cos this pair of speakers didn't sound so well with my work PC :D )

5. Chrisssssssss macrumors newbie

Yep, works for me...

I have tested this and all 6 channels works for me with snow leopard. However I don't think that the IR remote works with Mac.

Just FYI.

Chris
    MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo

6. newguy1 macrumors newbie

Chris,

Which of these have you tested, the Zalman, or the Toshiba, I didn't see anything about an IR remote for either.

7. DocMorgan macrumors newbie

Any definative answer to this?

I have a V2 of this product. I have checked system preferences... looked in the DVD App, done everything I can think of... and no luck.

Can the ZM-RSSC V2 be used on a MAC to generate 5.1 channels of audio? I'd hate to think it can't.

Thanks for any help.

- Doc

8. voltaicass macrumors newbie

Figured I would bump this since I just picked up one of the Zalman ZM-RSSC units refurbished for cheap.

For the most part, this item works with mac.

Using the S/PDIF or Optical output from the ZM-RSSC, I am only able to achieve 2.0 sound in Snow Leopard. However, if I hook up the three analog outputs, the card can send a 5.1 signal (I tested a trailer from Apple's website that was using a 5.1 AAC track) to my receiver through the analog inputs. This of course means I have to hook up three 3.5mm to stereo RCA jacks instead of just one optical cable, which I'm a little disappointed by but I can't find anything that would do otherwise. Even the famed Griffin Firewave had to hook up this was so whatever.

My main reason for getting this product is to be able to monitor 5.1 soundtracks while editing in Soundtrack Pro. If I run into further issues, I'll repost but so far the answer appears to be this- it works, but only with the analog outputs. That said, if anyone has a fix for using the optical port on this unit, I sure would appreciate it.

9. whpage macrumors newbie

On the V2 units the analogue 5.1 does work OK on Leopard and Snow Leopard BUT there is no bass management built-in that I can find (unlike when it is used under Windows).

This means that if you playback a properly mixed 5.1 track, which should have nothing in the LFE channel (if it is done correctly following Dolby standards) then nothing comes out of the sub-bass (LFE) speaker. So unless all you speakers are full range, this is a pain in the neck.

10. edouble312 macrumors newbie

Hey, can I ask how you got the zalman ZM-RSSC to give you sound through the spdif port in snow leopard? All I can get is the analog headphone jack to work, I see nothing about any digital output, although it does work just fine in Windows 7.

any help is appreciated... Thanks!

11. MovieGuySly macrumors newbie

USB or Optical

So because of the distance of my speakers USB is not an option to run to my computer. Does the Zalman ZM-RSSC require USB and optical? Or just one or the other?

12. manook macrumors newbie

so, does Zalman ZM-RSSC works with mac?, more specifically does it work with mountain lion?
    to make it work can i only use the three 3,5mm connector or I need something else?

13. lamoureuxjustin macrumors newbie

I could not get it to work using a toslink optical to a yamaha receiver.