Zanzibar outlaws homosexual acts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by radhak, Apr 14, 2004.

1. radhak macrumors regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3625269.stm

was not aware this was of issue anywhere but the US.

btw, there is implicit gender-bias thrown in : gays get 25 years, lesbians only 7 ;)

------------

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why didn't they just ban reality from their shores? Are they going to be able to censor satellite broadcasts? Are the people living there so naive that they don't know what really happens?

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Doesnt this belong more in the political section?

6. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I think the gender bias is a little stupid, but we could certianly use laws like that here in the US. :D

8. vniow macrumors G4

[​IMG]

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

i'm all for people doing what they want in the privacy of their own room but you indicating a slap to his face makes you no better than dippo for what he said.

remember a thing called free speech?

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I think he does. And as a result, he has "voiced" his disgust with Dippo's close-minded and hate-filled response. Unless you think that little emoticon qualifies as a threat? If so, that's just silly.

A virtual slap in the face is nice compared to the verbal tongue lashing I think he deserves.

Taft

11. hacurio1 macrumors regular

I agree, but if we start debating this topic, this thread will turn into an infinite debate about human rights, extreme views of human rights, conservative views, extreme conservative views, and some people will even say the rest of the world sucks and the rest of the world population have primitive and uneducated views. Every body is entitled to an opinion, but some people take these topics personal and out of the scope of rationality; hence, turning an interesting conversation into insults and rude comments. That’s why talking about homosexuality, religion, gender, etc, is not always a good idea.

12. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

to me it indicated that he should be slapped for saying that. just my take on it..

13. vniow macrumors G4

She.

I could have posted a long winded response on why I was disgusted and offended by Dippo's comment but I chose a smiley instead. It said all that I wanted to. I know about free speech and I also know that I have the right (within the forum rules) to post my responses to said comments.

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

fair enough. I simply misread you. sorry for the confusion.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the irony is that the most famous person (who i know of) to come from zanzibar was gay

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And we know how much you love irony!

17. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Canada has just outlawed any statement printed or by voice that denigrates or insults Homosexuals. In otherwords they have just outlawed the bible.

I started a thread on that topic there as Sly69 and am sure there is a link there to the original story. http://www.imesh.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50881

And now you know where I came from.

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

shows how good a nation canada is. canada has the best human rights in the world period. I think the fact that they put peoples rights before the bible proves that. the bible is backward thinking and very old so in some ways you have to go against it in the modern world to make life equal for all.

canada was also one of the first nations to allow same sex marriages to the full extent. this means a same sex couple has all the wedlock rights a strait couple does. canada also was the first nation in the world to have an anti-stalking law to help protect women.

to move forward you must think forward.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Of course, the Bible knows what's best for Canada, and the government elected by Canadians doesn't have a ****ing clue... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

I have the right to not like Homosexuals because they are homosexuals.
    You have the right to not like christians because they are christians.
    Now in Canada only one of us has our rights.
    Its not even legal technically to print or read a bible in Canada. In otherwords they just made it illegal to be a christian in Canada. They just made it illegal to be a Muslem in Canada. They just made it illegal to be a Mormon in Canada. By that one short sighted narrow minded law.

Truthfully I doubt they'll enforce it that strictly. But they could if they wanted to, now.

21. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you can be sure this law won't affect free speech or religion anyway. i'm sure the focus here is senseless bashing of homosexuals for the sake of hate. free speech and bashing are 2 very different things..

22. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I fully understand your point in that it's wrong for the Bible to be illegal.
    However, I do not feel you have the right to not like homosexuals because they are homosexuals. Do you not like black people just because they are black?

My point is, the Canadian government is better suited to decide on Canada's future, than a 2000 year old book. I wont even enter the debate about the Bible not conveying the words of God and Christ.

Canada is right is creating such a law, as it protects homosexuals from insults and discrimination, and believe it or not, it would protect *your* rights and liberties if you were a Canadian. I'd like to take a few minutes to remind you that Christians used to be a minority, and they would have enjoyed some similar law that would protect them.

23. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

That link included a trial where they arrested a preacher for saying Homosexuality was bad. Also mentioned investigation into another preacher who said that homosexualities could be help for prosecution but then decided not to prosecute under that law.

It appears nobody actually followed the link to see what I'm actually talking about so I'll go ahead and post my original post on the topic here.

Yea sure lets make it illegal to voice our true opinions. Lets hire thought police to run around and control the way people think. Lets outlaw all religions for all of them condemns Homosexuality. Yes I realize some smart ass will now come up with a modern twisted religion that loves Homosexuality.
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/johnleo/jl20040412.shtml
    Rereading it I see I missed that religious loophole clause but according to the above article its not much of a loophole.

24. vwcruisn macrumors regular

ahh.. outlawing hate.. what a beautiful concept

25. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

And it brings up the philosophical question of what is the limit of free speech... Saying you don't like gays, or christians, or {insert group of people here} for trivial reasons* infringes on other people's freedom.

(*IMHO religious reasons are equally trivial because they are based on people's beliefs. I'm not insulting religion or religious people's beliefs. I'm just saying that not like gays because my religion says you shouldn't, is a trivial reason for not liking them.)