Zelda and Sixtyforce

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A few days ago, I decided to play through Ocarina of Time again, using the Sixtyforce emulator. I'm in the Forest Temple, and try as I might, I'm finding it impossible to solve Amy's puzzle. I think this might be a bug in Sixtyforce, as the blocks are getting "stuck" when there's nothing obstructing them, and the game fails to trigger Amy's appearance once they're all in the correct places. Has anyone else experienced this? I've done a freeze, and uploaded it here, so you can jump right to the relevant part of the game :)

Edit: After looking around on Google, I found someone else with exactly the same problem :(

Edit 2: You can get around the problem by placing all the blocks 1 square apart, then pushing them together. So problem solved (sort of) :)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I might try that on my Xbox, i think I have Sixtyforce on it.

cant really help much. but years ago a guy I knew online was banging on about emulating Zelda on his computer thinking it would p*ss me off, so he sent me a screenshot to show off like. only he had an FPS counter in the corner. 7FPS is not a way to play Zelda.
    though I reckon these days its a lot faster!

3. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ya, it has actually gotten quite a bit faster. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I had Sixtyforce on my iBook a while ago (933MHz, 640MB) and Zelda ran at about 40fps.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's a N64 emulator for OS X.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Where can I donwload the emulator and roms such as zelda(for games I already own).

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can get the emulators here.
    http://emulation.victoly.com/

It is illegal to download roms. Even if you own the game, transmitting the rom is illegal as it is someone's backup copy.

The whole "you must own this rom to download" thing is a myth. At least, in the United States it is illegal. You may not be in the U.S. but we probably don't want content that is considered illegal posted here.

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Eep. Unless our laws are different (and they probably are!) then my copy of Zelda is pirated :eek:

Although, in reality, I don't think anyone would care so long as I show them that I own the cartridge. It's one of these things that I don't have a moral problem with, even if it is technically illegal (like ripping my CDs into iTunes - Apple even encourage this!)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think thats a silly law. if you own your own countries Ocarina of Time game then surely you could download a rom from the same country. alas! I'm playing OoT Master Quest on my Cube so i'm ok.

OoT is such a fantastic game :)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's a ridiculously stupid law, but that's how it works.

You can not rip the game...
    Except there is the backup exception, that anyone is entitled to back up anything they own provided that they do not transmit that copy to anyone.

So you can rip your own game. You can not transmit that backup copy to anyone. If you download someone's backup copy, that's breaking the law.

If you buy the equipment and rip the roms yourself, then that's fine.

Most people feel the law is stupid and just download the roms they own anyway. If you feel that way, go ahead, but don't ask where to download the roms :)

11. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i can play sixty force with super mario 64 at around 25-29 fps with only messenger ON on my ibook running at 1.33 ghz 100 gb and 1 gb or ram very good emulator for the mac.

12. astrostu macrumors 6502

I know this is an old thread, but this bug still is present in the latest version of sixtyforce. Here is how I got around it, with some help from the original post:

So, the key is that the blocks will fall after you shoot the picture. If you're facing the picture, the one in the upper left corner (the one with the torch) needs to be there. So you need to solve the puzzle but make sure that the blocks are lined up with that upper left one in the exact same spot.

Because of the invisible walls, you won't be able to do this. So what you have to do is move that block out of the way by one pull or push, then move the other block to where it needs to go, and then put that upper left one back.

This takes more than the minute you're given, so you just wait through the rest of the cycles until it cycles back to those images on top. Make sure that one block is pulled out so that you can then push it into place once they cycle back.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Isn't a mod asking about illegal ROMS all sorts of wrong?

14. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

This is ridiculous. Who the f* thinks of such stupid laws?

15. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Except that equipment apparently is also illegal, making it a doubly stupid law - no way to exercise your legal backup right.

I won't pass judgment on this, but I will point out that three cheap, legal, & supported alternatives exist: Ocarina of Time for Wii Virtual Console, or for Gamecube either on OoT/Master Quest disk or Zelda Anniversary Collection. Any way will get you the game on your TV, and none of them have emu-induced errors in gameplay - they run as the designers intended.

16. andy89 macrumors 6502

Its not illegal to use your own Roms.

But you have to perform the backup yourself. Not many people have the knowledge or tools to.

You can pick the equipment up on ebay, but its not cheap.

17. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Laws

Those who want twice the cash for the same bit of software?

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thats pretty slow compared to the PC N64 emulators. :eek:

You can get full speed with a 700 MHz Pentium 3 processor paired with a Nvidia TNT2 card and 256MB of RAM under Windows XP Professional.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with Zelda on Sixtyforce, posted here, please help if you can :)

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, it is.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The equipment is not illegal. I have a cable that allows me to hook my GBA to the PC. Nothing illegal about that.

The fact that I can use it to dump roms is a side benefit.

Is a DVD-ROM drive an illegal backup device just because you CAN use it as such? No. Nintendo would HAVE YOU BELIEVE that any rom-backup device is inherently designed for illegal purposes, but if you don't transfer that backup, you're not actually breaking the law; Nintendo's claim on their website about such devices being illegal has NEVER stood up in court, so it can be disregarded.

Regardless, there's no real way to back up your own N64 roms without building the equipment yourself. GBA and DS are different though.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not if you backed them up yourself.

It's not illegal to play the music you ripped off a CD. It is illegal to download that music off Limewire.

23. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected. I should have said, "under Nintendo's representation of the law, it's illegal." But given how skewed towards corporate interests the DMCA is, maybe that assumption can be forgiven (I think the backup-copy provision predates the DMCA by two decades or so, but I'd be surprised if the later law doesn't get in some licks on the subject).

24. astrostu macrumors 6502

Okay, a mod posted on a similar thread that discussion of this topic was not banned on these boards. Not to sound snooty as a newbie, but is this a thread for continued discussion of the legality of this? Why not just start a new one and leave this thread to its original purpose?