Zelda still a princess

Discussion in 'Games' started by kjr39, Feb 3, 2007.

1. kjr39 macrumors 6502

So, I was playing Zelda - TP and it got me thinking.

It has been twenty years since the first Zelda and we haven't seen her parents, but she's still a Princess.

When is she going to be made Queen Zelda? It may help, because she seems to have quite a hard time keeping her kingdom secure...

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i thought we saw the king (which i presume was her ancestor) in windwaker in the now sunken hyrule. also, tetra mentions her mom, who is never on screen however.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Answer: Zelda is a symbolic name. Just as is Link. They're not all the same person, but they all are princess; I think that part of the story was in Zelda II:AoL.

4. butaro macrumors regular

They also mention some of the link/zelda relationship in the gameboy version links awakening

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think it has to do with all the girls born in the royal family being named zelda.

how is link symbolic btw?

6. Queso macrumors G4

This Princess will be 50 years old this year, yet never be a Queen. Maybe Zelda is from Monte Carlo :)

7. butaro macrumors regular

http://www.zeldawiki.org/
    might give some answers

no Spoiler tag here so too bad if anyone cares

"In Adventure of Link, a more complicated origin of Zelda is revealed. The slain Ganon's minions are ravaging Hyrule and a mysterious tattoo has appeared on Link's hand. Impa, Zelda's handmaid, explains the true Legend of Zelda to Link. Well before the events of The Legend of Zelda game, Hyrule was a prosperous land ruled by a king who had two children, an unnamed Prince and Princess Zelda. However, a evil wizard came to the Prince and told him that the path to true power lay with the Triforce. The Prince gives into the wizard's whispers and seeks the Triforce. When the wizard tells the Prince that Zelda knows the location of the mystical object, the Prince demands that Zelda turn the information over to him. Zelda refuses and, in a rage, the wizard puts Zelda into a deep sleep, but dies from the magical backlash. Overcome with grief, the Prince seals his sleeping sister in the North Palace and orders that all female descendants of the Hylian monarchy are to be named Zelda. "

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They are different Zeldas. It's a hyrule tradition to name the firstborn princess Zelda. So there's always a princess Zelda.

Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker all had different Zeldas. Each was a descendant of the previous one.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Zelda will always be my princess.... :cool:

Okay, you can slap me. That was horrible. :p

10. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I always thought Zelda was a dude. Of course I haven't played it since it's first release. I guess I'm a little slow :D

Nuc

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Zelda is definitaly not a dude. Not at all. :D

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Well, Chuckie has been prince for more than 50 years so Zelda still has a ways to go to catch him.

13. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

'ln -s'

Sorry couldn't resist.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Unix nerd. :p :)

Who's this Link guy, I always play with a character named Tongue.

<]=)

15. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm sorry, but, are you stupid?

I had to.

16. Gunhaver macrumors member

Actually you can find a painting of a woman who is presumably Tetra's mother if you sneak into her room.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Zelda is the princess you rescue, the character you play is Link and he's a dude.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Maybe the name "Link" isn't necessarily symbolic. Then again maybe it is. But if you watch the intro to WindWaker, it says that when boys come of a certain age, they are given the ceremonial green attire in honor of the hero of time (Link in OoT). So since the general consensus is that OoT is one of the first (if not the first)games, the Hero of Time Link becomes Link #1 and sets the name Link as default in most other games, making it symbolic. (sort of :rolleyes: )

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That was only true of the Onset Island colony though, and Wind Waker was supposed to be the last of Zeldas. The other Zelda games didn't have a tradition of a ceremonial attire.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, but part of the issue is that the games were released out of chronological order, assuming that OoT is the first game in the series. The following games, WW and TP reference the fact that Link's attire is homage to that of the Hero of Time (in Majora's Mask, we know that it's the same Link). So I'm just taking what we now know back to games released before OoT whose events occur after OoT.