Zelda : TP just not doing it for me.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know this going to be controversial but

I'm not enjoying Zelda as much as I'd hoped I would :(

Graphically its a bit of a murkey mess to me and this isnt a criticism over not being HD, but it's just that it all looks a bit washed out and murkey - like a lot of the N64 titles ended up (windwaker looks better IMO and has better facial reactions too), I really think they should start to add voices to NPC's at this stage, and I just dont find it that much 'fun'.

I have relished practically every zelda game and tolerated even not so great ones like the Philips CDi titles, but this one just isnt doing it for me.

Story wise only about 9 hours in and its only just about holding my interest, mainly i think its just hope it gets better.

As for magical wonderful lanscapes and the general fantasy world, again it's just all a bit bland for me. Again WW did it better for me, and games like Kameo have made vibrant wonderful lands so much better. Hell even the Minish Cup seemed to have a more interesting game world.

I'll wait till I've finished it, but it certainly for me isnt a classic like OOT or Link to the Past was.

I think the battle scheme isnt as tight as WindWaker or Ocarina, the Bow & Arrow / Sling Shot feels great in use, but the process of activating it and then moving is all a bit distracting especially in tense action moment, Z Trigger auto aiming tries to rememdy it but still.

This was the game I bought the Wii for and yet I have more fun with Wii Sports as shallow as it is, than playing this.

Very dissapointed, surely I cant be the only person who's not so keen on this Zelda. :eek:

As much as other big holiday game G.O.W on 360 doesnt rock my world either, I'm getting more fun from Assault Heroes and Viva Pinata.

Feels like the top games this year for the different formats just arent floating my boat :confused: damn

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I felt that way for a little while, but I started getting hooked the further into it I got. Give it 15-20 hours.

<3 Midna.

3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I felt the same way.... I still sort of feel like I'm obligated to finish the game.

I'm not saying it's a bad game but it's almost a chore to beat the game... i'm not particularly having "fun" doing it... it's just something that needs to be done.

It's a weird feeling

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. It's like hard work, not fun :eek: Surely a player shouldnt have to work this hard at enjoying a game only to feel, meh :eek:

5. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

I think it's a great game, but just not the Zelda I was hoping for.

It feels exactly like either an N64 game, or a Gamecube one, not like a next generation Zelda game. Ok, even though the Wii really isnt that next generation.

I am enjoying myself while I play, but I do have my gripes. I wish mostly that in the stage we are at with gaming, it was a full spoken dialogue. We're past the days of Nintendo not having enough space on the carts/discs to put voice on it. It's also extremely obvious to see that this is a gamecube game as hardly anything is meant to be used on te Wiimote. Supposedly there is another Zelda game in the works for the Wii, and hopefully this one will be more along the lines of what the Wii Zelda game should have been.

Otherwise, a fantastic game, which I'm just about to finish, but I still feel like I'm playing a gamecube game.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm only saying this because it's what I do everytime someone asks for voice acting:

Remember Stella Deus. Or Shining Force 3. Ye Gods.

7. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I think graphically it's amazing. Going to Lake Hylia and looking around is breath taking. Just looking into the distance in the game to see other areas of Hyrule is amazing too. Perhaps you should go back and play the N64 Zeldas to see the difference.

This is one game that I'm enjoying so much that I don't want to finish it. I'm almost 50 hours in and am loving every minute of it.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

But on th reverse side a game like Oblivion it makes the world all the much more believeable.

Even Dragon Quest (the last one on ps2 - 8 i think) had wonderfull voice work.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I love love love loved Yangus' voice. Jessica wasn't bad as well. The others ranged from good to aaagh (Trode bugged the hell out of me, but I guess that was the point.)

But still, for every Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts (well, the Disney side of Kingdom Hearts. The Square characters still had shakey acting) there are a dozen games with voice acting so bad that it draws you out of the experience entirely.

I'm partial to reading, anyway. Line deliveries are always so much better in my head.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I said the same thing a while ago. Im not huge on TP, in fact I havent played it in over a week and since im going away in a few hours I won't play it again till at least January. Im really annoyed that I spent $500 bucks to play it....*doh* I should listen to that inner voice that says not to buy systems at launch. Oh well!!!! 07 should bring some decent games to all consoles.

11. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

give it more time. It will for sure pick up.

Don't give up!:eek:

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

but how far in are you?

13. Malus macrumors 6502

I agree with you. I enjoyed WW a lot. It wasn't until the 4th dungeon that I finally got into TP. I believe that the next Zelda will be the most popular and most acclaimed Zelda ever.

I think Nintendo was testing out a lot of things in TP. Their new cinimatic story telling was something that was a good welcome to the series.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not everyone is going to like the same game so it's of no surprise that some don't like it. Don't stress and play something else - there's nothing wrong with you that a cathartic post on the internet will fix.

With Zelda you need to think and have patience at many points, which a lot of people couldn't be bothered with when they sit down to be entertained. That's why FPS sell so well.

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

But I dont like G.O.W much either :confused:

I'm more surprised by the fact I'm not enjoying it. I just feel i've been there done that many times before and better.

i'm going back to viva pinata and monkeball banana blitz for fun. :)

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'd suggest going out for a run, down the pub for a drink, or hanging out with the Mrs then. When games fail there's always real life to fall back on :D!

17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ahh Viva Pinata. I NEVER get sick of that game! Probably played it 10x more than Gears of War

18. snakelda macrumors 6502

The beggining was EXTREMELY BORING!!!!!!!!!I just got to the part where I'm Link with the tunic and I've played a little and it's very fun now.I always find games at the beggining boring....

19. funwithfunkis90 macrumors newbie

yea i was also kinda meh on zelda tp, but just wait until you have your first horseback battle :cool:

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree. IMHO it's the best Zelda game yet, and the best Nintendo game of the 00s. I'm loving every little second of it, and i may even start from the beginning and play through again as soon as it's over. It more than makes up the mess that was wind waker.

21. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't have a Wii so I cant comment on Gameplay, but are you using the Component Cables? They may improve the "murkey mess" a bit.

22. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Just beat the third temple

23. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I've noticed that the people who have enjoyed WW in particular seem not to like TP. It's extremely common, it seems.

24. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ill see about that. I do miss the uber cel-shade. With these "realistic" style, I don't think there is as much falvor, but that's just my taste.

I've only reached the Forest Temple so I can't really comment on the game right now but I think the stuff that I did experience, they're on point. Controls are good, the graphics are nice. I don't have any gripes with it. I don't see why people are complaining about the camera. I haven't had a problem with it.

25. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Lol, if you think its a "been there done that" type of feeling wait til you think you got the twilight mirror! (Thats not a spoiler, is it?)