Zelda Twighlight Princess Review 9.7+!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ddrueckhammer, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I just spent the last two days playing Zelda. I didn't play it when I got my system because I wanted to play a couple of the other launch titles. It is really IMO the best Zelda yet so I guess that makes it a 9.7+ since Ocarina is rated the best game of all time by most of the professional reviewers. I have spent about 12 hours and am at the Goron mines. Everything about my experience so far has be excellent. You can knit-pick a few things like Midi music, graphics not up to PS3 standards (I don't really care but I'm sure someone does) and linear story-line but really none of those things are affecting my experience so I have to say it is up there with the best games I have ever played including OoT, ALttP, and FFVII. I don't want to describe the gameplay too much and give away spoilers so I'll just say this: Zelda: Twighlight Princess is not only the best game on the Wii but one of the most masterful games Nintendo has ever made. If you own a Wii and don't already own Zelda: TP, go out and buy this game now but beware it will consume your every thought for a while to come. If I have any bad experiences between now and the end of the game, I will come back and amend my review but I can't fathom there being any shortcomings since the game so far has been masterful in every way.

So far, I have played and reviewed 5 games for my Wii: Wii Sports, Red Steel, NFS Carbon, Excite Truck, and now Zelda. I have been putting off playing Rayman because my girlfriend hasn't been able to play and I want to try multiplayer with her. I will review it as soon as we get a chance to play and then I'm gonna rent Madden, CoD3, and Elebits.

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

MIDI sound? I doubt it lol.

And I'm going to start slapping the PS3/360 not as good graphics as PC argument everytime someone complains about the Wii... sure you spent hundreds of dollars on a console that plays FPS at a much lower resolution than the PC with worse graphics and framerates and an inferior control :rolleyes:

The Wii is where its at, I'll puke if I have to play another shooter on a console (sure they are fun but nothing compares to the kind of stuff you play on PCs), I assure you, if I buy a 360, I'll buy it for games like Viva Pinata if anything, 90% of the 360 good games are available on PC... and they play better on PC...

3. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I don't think that it is Midi but it is synthesized and not orchestral which Nintendo really should have done along with voice acting. I said in the review I didn't care about the graphics but some people do and I can see there point to some extent. The art direction does alot to make up for the lack of polygons in this game. I liked the cell shading on Wind Waker though. This game could very well be a 10 but I do see where some of the small complaints come from. In my review, I tried to make the point that I think it is better than Ocarina so far. There is more to do. More to look at. And IMO, better controls. Thus, it is at least a 9.7.

As far as the other consoles go, they have their strengths. The 360 has great FPS games, great online play, Viva Pinata, and great multimedia capabilities. The PS3 has a good lineup of upcoming AAA titles including Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, God of War, Gran Turismo etc., Blue Ray, and is potentially the most powerful system this gen. The PS3 just got started. It may have had a slow start but it still has alot of potential. Don't count Sony out just yet. Anyway, back to Zelda related comments.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All the people I trust in gaming give this game such high ratings. Well... this indy guru just went on and on about how perfect it was and how, apparently, i'm "going to get inspired" by it :D

24 hours I boot up Zelda. 24 hours to finish every task that needs doing over the next 3 weeks.

5. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I don't know about inspiring but it is IMO a very good refinement of an already classic AAA franchise and one of the better gaming experiences out there for single player. If you beat the game in 24 hours then you are doing way better than me. 12 hours in and I'm only on the second dungeon. I don't cheat (look at walkthroughs) at all though. It took me a little bit to find everything in the Forest Temple because

SPOILERS I forgot to use the boomerang to get the compass at the front...Also, I almost died fighting the shadow beasts at the base of Death Mountain because I didn't realise there were 4. I haven't decided where it ranks in my top 10 but it up there and IMO better than OoT.