ZeroThree - How do they do this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samywamy10, Feb 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

samywamy10

Hey all,
    I've found this company called ZeroThree (www.zerothree.com.au) and they are an Apple reseller. What I've found amazing is if you customise an iMac or Mac Mini or whatever..(all this is compared to the Australian online Apple store)

1) They offer cheap base configs
    2) You can put an OWC SSD in as a base configuration, so do they have a deal with Apple where they just leave a blank hard drive spot, or would the original hard drive cost be factored in?
    3) For the 27" iMac where you can have an SSD and a Hard Drive (cheapest option is about $700), they can offer a 1tb Hard Drive and 128gb SSD for $350. The iMac without the SSD from Apple does not come with the appropriate slot for the SSD, so how do they remove the $700 SSD, put another SSD in and still keep it under the original $700?

I was thinking of buying a refurb iMac but now that I've seen this website with such low SSD prices I think I might go with them. They also have really great customer support from what I've heard.

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

2. Most like they just replace the HD with SSD. It might cost them more to buy special iMacs from Apple with the HD (I doubt Apple would even sell them), so the price of the HD is negligible. Besides, they can use it in the future for something else.

3. SSD-less iMac has a slot for the SSD. You just need some things to hold it there and stuff but it can be done.

3. thread starter macrumors member

samywamy10

[​IMG]

I thought there was no space..

4. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

5. samywamy10, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

thread starter macrumors member

samywamy10

Wow, I never knew.

I think for a small price I would like someone to do that, even just so if I did it wrong I would be left with a faulty iMac, but if ZeroThree installed it they're not going to send me a faulty iMac (at least I hope so). Plus it's covered under their warranty.

EDIT:
    Just realised the SSD they include is only 120gb, however it's about $500 cheaper than the 256gb SSD. However with applications + OS I highly doubt anyone will go over 80gb.

6. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lol you haven't seen my machine...

7. macrumors regular

My Applications and OS use 275GB.

8. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

My iTunes library alone is over 75GB..

9. macrumors 6502a

shardey

Yeah..

I think what was meant was that the ssd is for your applications, and for something like you music, there would be your hard drive would be for music, videos, games, etc.