Zinni talks to BBC about Iraq, NeoCons and "liars"...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Aug 3, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I recently watched a BBC Hardtalk interview w/ retired General Zinni, discussing the preparations/impetus for the War in Iraq, it's execution and the Future of the Country. There was also discussion about the Isreali/Palestinian issue.

Interesting points:

Zinni had scathing criticism for the planners and intelligence wonks leading up to the war...calling them "incompetent" and "liars". Zinni does not include Bush and Cheney in this assessment, which falls squarely on Rumsfeld and Wolfy and others in the DoD...

Talks about the inadequate planning for post-war/occupation phase of US involvement in Iraq...

Talks about the Constitutional duty of senior military officials (3 and 4 star Generals), who are confirmed by the Senate, to report their professional opinions/assesment of the situation even if in opposition to the current Administation Policy(s)...

Presents a reluctance to vote for Bush in November, despite being a life-long Republican, because of the handling of the case for War in Iraq, and a genuine distaste for the NeoCon element in current Government...

Laments the personal, mean and negative bent Modern American Politics has taken, and its' effect on our ability to lead and to govern effectively...

All in all a very smart and diplomatic man, who is obviously an American Patriot.

Please watch for your impressions, although much of this is old-hat to some of us, it is worth watching the man explain it in his way...(besides, i am crap at paraphrasing the content...)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/3532118.stm

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Can someone explain the differences between a Neocon and plain old Conservative. Just so I can make sure I'm *completely* following the discussion? Thanks :D

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Neocon: (n) 1. a political persuasion that consists of a far-right wing superiority-complexed, self-righteous ideology, including plans for world domination and dresses itself as traditional conservatism by espousing token feel-good issues (see "pro-life") and playing lip service to them while never swaying from its ultimate goals.
    2. A complete nutcase.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Although the term of somewhat contested in definition, here is a general primer on the history of the NeoCons...
    Here is some explanation of them Today...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm still watching the clip, but i'm struck w/ how different HARDtalk (ridiculous opening, btw) is from almost all the other news shows / news magazine shows in the US -- there's actually content.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Change "news shows / news magazine shows" to "news" and I agree.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm done. good interview. again, i wish the media in the US was so thorough.

anyone who thinks kerry is as culpable as bush et. al. for "lying" (i.e. "Leo Hubbard") should watch this interview. he addresses the intelligence exaggeration and its use starting around the 5 minute mark.

8. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

By the way 'brit, I applaud you for your concise and accurate definition of NeoCon...you managed to convey in a few lines what it took me several (long) paragraphs to attempt...

...never been very good at brevity, I am afraid...

also, Hardtalk once again confirms the vast superiority of the BBC to our Domestic News offerings...at least I have access to it through the miracle of the internet....

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Excellent interview, highly recommended. Blasted yet another little hole in my work day, but worth it. I'm going to keep an eye on the "liberal media" in the US to see if they quote any of this.

Zinni wouldn't come right out and say it, but clearly he places most of the blame for the present Iraq debacle on Rumsfeld.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Bloody good interview. Good Old Beeb.
    Required viewing.