Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haley0489

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
I have had the same Chase debit card on my iTunes account since getting my iPhone 3GS two weeks ago. It's worked fine and had ZERO problems.

I plugged my iPhone in last night to update some apps. Everything went as normal. I unplugged the phone and left my house and went on about my ways. Later that night I went into the app store via my iPhone to download a pay app and I was greeted with a "zip code doesn't match bank records error". I could download free apps, but not pay.

I called 1800myiPhone as advised by AT&T but they were of no help. First they said it must be my bank, but after calling the bank and confirming the error was on iTunes end, they said that it must be a server problem.

I've tried all the fixes. Re-entering all my information exactly, trying Paypal which doesn't work for whatever reason, syncing information from the Apple Store and the App Store. Lastly I tried removing my card information, re-entering, as suggested on the apple site, but now it's saying I have to approve that information before using it. However, when I try to approve it says the card number is not valid and it IS.

My card and all information are correct and I didn't have this issue until last night.

Is the Apple server not working for anyone else? Or is it just me experiencing this problem? How can I fix this? It's really irritating and no, I would rather NOT have to go out and buy separate iTunes cards to make purchases (suggestion courtesy of Apple Customer Support). I want my bank card to work like it was.

malaikasc

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
same problem

Hi,

I've been having the same issue as of earlier today, so there definitely must be a problem with their system cause your post is so recent. Be careful though-- I assumed that without the zip code matching they would not bill my account. Turns out they just won't let me download the app. I tried adjusting my zip code a few times and it billed my account every single time. Make sure you didn't get ripped off too. :mad:

Haley0489

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Actually, I don't think it's their systems...I found an interesting article (Idotht have it on hand at the moment) but it says iTunes does not accept debit cards. The system may accept them, but that system is meant to run on CREDIT cards. However, if theyre going to show the Visa emblem on their page, they aren't allowed to discriminate between types of cards (just visa debit or just visa credit). I don't know how true it is, but afte putting in my Discover card info, my account started workig. My mothers visa debit worked also, but when I reentered my Visa information I got errors and I KNOW my iTunes & bank account information hasn't changed at all.

I was FINALLY able to get paypal to work on my Itunes account (which, ironically, is what I wanted to use as my payment method to start with, but paypal wouldnt work for me when I first set up my account)

not sure how true the debit vs credit card thing is, but it seems to be true for me and it doesn't seem like Apple is at all willing to help those with this error. I'd suggest switching to a credit card or a Paypal account. :/

BTW my account was "charged" 6 times when I was experiencing this error...it still says pending and Apple claims these charges will not go through. If your charges did go through should contact your bank or iTunes billing information.

Sorry for any typos in this post...still not used to the iPhones virtual keyboard.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
..I found an interesting article (Idotht have it on hand at the moment) but it says iTunes does not accept debit cards....
Your "interesting article" is wrong. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It's best to get information directly from a reliable source, in this case from Apple's legal department:
The iTunes Store accepts credit and debit cards and iTunes Store Gift Certificates, Content Codes, iTunes Cards and Monthly Allowance balances as forms of payment.

Haley0489

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Then what else causes a debt card with unchanged information, which matches an iTunes account EXACTLY, down to every single space, to suddently stop working?

I say if the shoe fits, where it.
Some people may not have issues using their debit cards, but the rest of us are stuck having to use alternate forms of paymet because our debit cards suddently stopped working & Apple is completely useless in helping.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I say if the shoe fits, where it.
Interesting! Because the rest of us say, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"
Some people may not have issues using their debit cards, but the rest of us are stuck having to use alternate forms of paymet because our debit cards suddently stopped working & Apple is completely useless in helping.
There are many things that could cause problems, some of which are on the user's end:
  • Has your card expired?
  • Has your card been restricted in some way by your bank?
  • Are you certain you entered all the info correctly?
  • Did you try resetting your browser, clearing all your cache and cookies?
Typically, if the problem is on iTunes (or any other vendor's site) then everyone will have the same problem. Since millions of others are successfully using debit cards on the iTunes store, the chances are greater that it's something on your end.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I have been using a debit card on iTunes for years without any glitches. Hope this helps.

Haley0489

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Interesting! Because the rest of us say, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"

Haha, good one. Autocorrect: can't type with it, can't type without it.

• Has your card expired?
  • Has your card been restricted in some way by your bank?
  • Are you certain you entered all the info correctly?
  • Did you try resetting your browser, clearing all your cache and cookies?

Nope. I have another two years on it before expiration.

I talked to my bank before posting this. They claim there have been no changes made to my account (from their end) and I haven't edited my information in at least a year.

Yep. It was working previously, so a typo shouldn't have effected it two weeks later. The accounts still match exactly.

Yes. Cleared my phone & computers temp files.

I spent several hours on the phone with Apple and Chase. Chase blames Apple, Apple blames Chase. All I know is my card worked fine, then stopped randomly and despite identical information and all efforts, it still won't work.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Ever since iTunes was launched, I have ONLY used my debit card. The only time I had a problem was when my card expired.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Have you got any other accounts like mobileme with the same debit card? If you have it might be worth checking the zip code there too as it may cause a conflict with Apple accounts. Just a thought!

newy

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
Same problem here..

Also a Chase debit card.. also had been working fine for months and many purchases.. suddenly stopped working. I checked that the billing info is correct- it is.. in any event, it did work and suddenly does not.

Extremely frustrating.

nnssls

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
I think this is a problem with Chase, not with iTunes. I contacted my bank, of course they blamed "their system" (meaning Apple), but its not just iTunes... I had the same problem when trying to order from grubhub.com two nights ago. Of course, everyone wants to blame someone else, but no one seems to be doing anything to help the problem. Does everyone here with this problem use Chase?

imagecanon

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
still ? ... yes

upgraded the iPhone from a 3Gs to a 4 last week & since then have not receiving the 'bank records do not match' error ... the bank blames iTunes ... iTunes blames the bank info ... iTunes won't explain exactly what doesn't match ... everything worked before the new phone ...

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I just started getting errors a few days ago with my debit card. The bank (small regional Wisconsin bank) says there's nothing wrong on their end. I actually do believe them since I've worked for them for six years and know the system. I might just switch to using one of my credit cards, but it's pretty dumb that I'm all of a sudden not able to use either of my two cards on two different checking accounts...

jmpack

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Same error with Credit Card BofA VISA

Same issue here. Seems to be linked to iTunes 10 update. Saw several other posts in apple support forum.

So... it's not a DEBIT issue and it's not specific to Chase. Apple's to blame/ they need to FIX ASAP

darthvader70

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Same problem today with it! Nightmare!

BACKSTORY:
For 3 days I have been trying to enter a new credit card number for an existing Itunes account with the same bank AND the same address. After 3 days of getting the runaround here is today's story of "buyer beware"...I have been a machine converting numerous friends and family over the years to get into the Apple world...Today all of that changed thanks to Itunes:

The latest! I tunes is officially a joke now!

This is just trying to change the credit card number with the same bank and the same Itunes account!

Finally got an Apple troubleshooter on the phone. Great as always (be advised Itunes has no humans to talk to. The cowards hide behind emails) - The Apple support guy gets Itunes on his own chat window...they tell him the same as me "tough, nothing we can do about it. Tell customer to use a different card."

Second call to Apple customer care off corporate line....The Apple service I have come to expect. This poor guy spent 3 hours on this....

We called my bank:
Bank, "Yes, of course the information on the credit card is correct. We have it here where we have approved it 11 TIMES today!"

Apple Guy talks to Itunes cowards again:
Itunes, "No something is wrong with the information."
Apple Guy "No, its been approved 11 TIMES today."
Itunes, "Call VISA.

Apple Guy calls VISA with me on the phone:
VISA, "What? We dont keep the address information. All of those calls and issues are from the issuing bank."

Apple Guy talks to Itunes cowards again:
Apple Guy, "I have talked to the bank personally. All the information is correct. Not only that a purchase has been made at other online businesses today such as Amazon. We also just spoke to VISA. It's not them either"
Itunes cowards, "No we are not wrong. It's the bank. Tell your customer to consider PAYPAL now!"

Itunes is the weak link in the Apple chain. We own 2 MacBook Pros, 2 Iphones and have an Ipad under the tree. Now that we know in a jam Itunes does not let you talk to humans nor do they admit when they are wrong and blame it on the rest of the world.... Well... our old Motorola phones and (gulp) Dells are looking a little better now... Itunes even doesnt work well with the other Apple employees trying to do their job!

Kdog24life

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
ITunes has access to more info than you may know

This situation has happened twice for me and I have found the common occurance that has triggered this to happen for me. Chase bank will freeze or hold all funds in my account if there is a large purchase put on my card until I call them and verify that I was the one that actually made the purchase, as a security measure. After I call and verify then my card can be used as normal. Oddly enough each time I went through this iTunes stopped accepting the card. I suspect that iTunes somehow has a way to know if an account has had a fraudulent activity flag, even if it was resolved or false. This seems like it should be out of scope of what should be allowed but based on what I've read and my experience I feel this may be a possibility. If so, iTunes would not admit to the ability to or access to this information. The bank would also need to let the card holder(s) know that they are allowing other companies to do this. It's not an extremely bad practice but nonetheless it is probably something everyone should be privy to. Furthermore if iTunes would have such code in place through their commerce process they need to also have a process to resolve situations.

There is no good excuse for iTunes to have an error message that says your bank account or security information does not match that from your banks if this is not true and they should be held accountable for making such statements to users. This causes individuals to make calls, change vital and sensitive information and ultimately going out of their way, forcing them to use alternate payment methods with their system.

We should demand to know what information is given and received by all parties involved.

If we stay quiet, we let them continue to try to inconvenience us and govern our lives.

-Kirk II

bananahanderson

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
it's Chase (I think)

I had the same zip code problem tonight with rhe iTunes store and it also happened a week ago with Verizon - the Verizon payment re triple checked the zip code on file, but it was correct. called Chase and they also confirmed that that the zip code hadnt beem changed in years.
Since it's happened with two aeperate vendors the only commonality is the Visa/Chase - it's got to be their system malfunction

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.